• school owner

• always a student

• world champion

• all of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

Shinzu

what is your TSD goal?

let's hear from students and instructors. after all the learning never ends!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Always a student. I mean what's the point otherwise? Sure go ahead pass on what you learned to others but don't stop learning til you're dead.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really enjoy the MAs so friggin' much.

The MAs keep me going forward and fit. I always like going to my dojang to train. But I know that I will never be able to devote my full attention to the MAs, so I understand that I'll always be just a simple trainee.

Irrespective of that, I still take pride in practicing the MAs, and being a member of the MA club, even though I'm just a junior member.

OP
M

Ma_Kuiwu

Sure go ahead pass on what you learned to others but don't stop learning til you're dead.

The Confucian Analects 2-11:

Confucius said : "Cherishing what you have learned, and continuing to learn makes you suitable to be a teacher of others."

I will be selfish in my answer, but honest.
I love the Martial Arts, but at this point I am looking for ways to further my career opportunity.
I want stuff for my resume as I approach my pending internships, I want to get a good job in the private security consultation field. You can make good money telling a departmant store where to put more lighting, and honesly with my childs health the way it is, I need to be more financially secure.

So I am looking for certifications, dan certificates, and years of experience. all to make more money.

The bonus is it is in somethig I love.

I dont want to teach. I dont want to compete. I just want to get something not everyone else has.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A school owner is a tough job! I would rather pitch in and help out. That way I get the best of both worlds.

OP
S

Shinzu

i would have to say that i will forever be a student but my first goal was to earn my black belt. my second one is to open a school. i know it will happen, but it's just a matter of when.

i see the MA always having a great impact on my life.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
world champ in many org and feds i am first right now in a few circuits right now and working on more maybe some day help a friend with a school and do seminar's but never own my own school

and get ranks in other arts as well

OP
T

TangSooGuy

Well, as i am already an instructor and technically a school owner, and will always be a student, my goals fall around those areas. I couldn't care less about being a world champion, frankly. I've won a few smaller tournaments, but competition has kind of lost its appeal to me, which is a good thing I guess, because i'll be getting my 4th Dan next month, and our association doesn't allow 4th dan and above to compete in their tournaments.

So i guess my goals are to, in no particular order, as these are all equally important to me:

1. continue learning, always (this one shouldn't be a problem- there's too much to learn and not enough time to learn it).

2. Attain my master's belt- 4th Dan and 4th Dan Master are two different things in the WTSDA now (long story that)...I have to go back and test for my master's belt next year..good thing i only have to pay once :)

3. Grow my studio- currently at a YMCA for a little over 1 year, I'd like to grow it in the YMCA first and get some black belts, then see where I can go from there

4. See my own students achieve great things

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by don bohrer
A school owner is a tough job! I would rather pitch in and help out. That way I get the best of both worlds.

Yup, that's what I'm currently doing. I help train the younger color belt rug rats, sweep up, etc., etc., and my Sabumnim cuts me some slack on the tuition. It's a good learning experience for me as far as teaching my MA. I've come to know that one needs much patience to be a good instructor.

OP
Y

Yossarian75

I would have to say my goal would be to learn and master as much TSD as I can in my lifetime and to never be beaten up on the street by a drunken thug. My goals have changed since I started training, it used to be simply to get a black belt.

My goals as an instructor would be for my students to be able to defend themselves as well as understand and love the martial arts at least as much as I do.

OP
S

Shinzu

Originally posted by Yossarian75
IMy goals as an instructor would be for my students to be able to defend themselves as well as understand and love the martial arts at least as much as I do.

well said!

OP
T

The Sapphire Ping Dragon

I voted "All of the above"!!!!!!!!!! :asian: ;) :asian:

Brittany :samurai:

OP
D

dosandojang

Please explain the WTSDA policy concerning 4th Dan Black Belt, and 4th Dan Master Black Belt????

OP
M

Moo D

Always a student, one lifetime is not enough but will have to do.Tang Soo!!

OP
C

chidarake

To train in ninjutsu until I am confident with hand to hand and many other skills.Become a "personal" body guard. go to Japan, make a dojo.

OP
M

Moo D

Ninjitsu?? Under which teacher are you training??

OP
L

Llarion

My goal is to become the best student I can be; to master my forms, my sparring, my one step. For me it's not really so much about the belts, though they are a nice perk. I'm getting in great shape, my master is helping me learn about myself by having me help train the lower belts, and I'm finding peace and fulfillment from the art. I hope that when I finally attain 1st Dan, that I will have attained it because I've gathered sufficient wisdom to be a successful teacher for other students.

Being able to kick a little butt if I need to is kinda cool, too. :)

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
i am an information sponge, and i want to have something that i can do for a long time and be proud of. the more accomplishment i make the more i have to try harder.