What is Vadha Kenpo?

AVKmcc1969

White Belt
Reaction score
Nothing "crappy" about Vadha Ke"m"po...it is a well structured martial art, with direct lineage to McCrave's "Vadha". There are some disagreements between students of Vadha, and students of American Vadha Kempo as to which is the true art form descending from the Himalayan Mountains. Both have valid points to make...Politics always make things "cloudy"

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I saw the title of this post and laughed out loud.

As it turns out, in my search for the origins and meanings of Kempo/Kenpo in the early 90's I bought many books. Anything about martial arts. I bought them at used book stores and bargain bins.

Here in Madison I found a copy of a book titled: "Vadha; The Martial Arts of the Himalayas, an introduction" by Michael H Wyka. It cost two dollars at the time.

I just finished moving and my books were going back on the shelves, by happenstance that book was on the top of my shelf for martial arts books.

Paging through the book, I see nothing to distinguish it from any Japanese martial art or, for that matter, american kickboxing.

There is conversation regarding 'Punap', a 'mental force' able to throw the author about in such a way that he was mystified as to how it occurred.

The book appears to be an advertising pamphlet or basics instruction booklet and was published in 1993 by Ronin Press.

There is a website regarding Vadha, at www.vadha.com and an apparent national organization.

As for the Kempo portion, many of posts here and elsewhere on the web will lead you to what I would call the 'Kem/npo uncertainty principle'. Record keeping seems to be the last thing that took place at the various 'temples' and 'hidden/secret' organizations where the shrouded and legendary origins of Kem/npo were practiced.

Since you cant be certain, then it would follow that it might have happened the way its stated. You know, in the evil Kirk universe or something where Spock had the cool goatee..and practiced deadly Kem/npo.

There are plenty of people out there with real world skills to share. Many of them use all nature of advertising copy to get students in the door.

It seems to me that people around the world are immensely hungry for a mysterious and wonderfully....asian...experience which is unique and special. So I am always unsuprised to find the advertising copy pushing that aspect.

If that trips your trigger, more power to you. It seems like the people on the sites may have something to offer, but I wouldnt know what it was from this book or the site. I would have to go see a class and participate, cross hands with them, work with them to see if it was something for me.

My BS detector goes off when the founder of a system seems to be missing. The person who taught the art of Vadha is neither pictured nor greatly described in any of the literature I can find online or in this book.

I would love to see some pictures of the 'himalayan' gentleman described as the person who carried the art to the US. Only because he did it in 1950. My parents were able to show me one thing about their own youth, they took pictures of everything they did. At that time in the US, people were absolutely picture nuts.

Just a few pennies from a pig.........

PS - unless you are simply advertising the style, you could just break down and call them on the phone and ask questions directly of them. As with any investment, invariably involving money, caveat emptor.

Rob

Latest Discussions