What is the

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
As many have said, it depends so much on circumstances. Given that, a really heavy blow to the base of the skull or cervical spine, a neck crank, The Sublime Meditation of the Four Exquisite Verbs (grab, squeeze, twist, pull), a knee drop to the kidneys, a figure four leg lock with a subsequent forward roll, a head butt that has the whole body behind it, a falling leg break, grabbing the head with one hand and shoving the other thumb hard into the eyeball and a number of others all have a good chance of making it really hard for him to keep fighting you.

Grabbing a big knife and jamming it repeatedly into him (abdomen, kidneys, etc.), pithing him like a frog in high school biology class or cutting important tendons or major blood vessels have been classics for a very long time. As momma said "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

There's the ever-popular "take something heavy and hit him repeatedly on the head with it" or "take his head and ram it repeatedly into something hard and immobile".

And of course you can take your pistol, shoot at his belt buckle and keep firing, moving up the body, until he falls down or you are out of ammunition.

They're all gruesome. They can all do really bad things to people. Use only when you are in serious danger. Most of all, they're all simple.

And dang, this is my 500th post.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most devestating move for self defense, what will knock the socks to say off your attacker. Why is it the most devestrated move and how long did it take you to learn it.

I relize alot of folks will have different moves and please explain what each movement is.

The stituation is simple a man is trying to rob you inside a cover garage it is about 9 pm and very poor lighted area, when you step up to your vehicle he jumps out of the shadows and says give me your wallet/purse.

What now and how do you handle it?

Please give realistic ways of handling the stituation.

I'm assuming that the situation you listed is what we're going off of here? The options we have could really be endless. In the situation listed, is there anyone else around? Am I alone? Weapons? Is he alone? Assuming its just him and I, I know the smart thing to do, is to hand over your money. However, there have been many cases in which the person did just that and still got shot. So, you really have a 50-50 shot (no pun intended :)) IMO, the element of surprise is important. Use a distraction to aid in your defense. In other words, give the guy something else to think about besides hurting you.

As for what move...I'm not a buyer of the 1 shot, 1 kill way of thinking. Can it happen? Sure, but I'm not really a betting man, so I don't want to throw one strike and hope I get the KO. A series of strikes, ie: punches, followed up with elbows, knees, etc., would probably be my choice.

If there is a weapon, and I decide to take a chance, first and foremost, getting control of the weapon. From there, try to work in strikes to disarm and take out the attacker.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ask this for there are two new school that says they teach real life SD and that one move that will devastate your attacker.

I think it is pretty clear we all know that is not true.... hey wait... No, there is one thing. Strap about 10lbs of high explosives and ball bearings on your torso and as the attacker grabs or attacks you, set it off. I am pretty sure the attacker will turn into pink mist. Of course you would too, but it will certainly devastate your attacker. :p

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does "Point and shoot" count as one move or two? ;)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does "Point and shoot" count as one move or two? ;)

Single motion if clearling leather (or nylon) ... one move...

That was my thoughts for handling the idjit too...

bad guy jumping from shadows -- "BOO!"

Me --- "AH! ****!! *BANG*

bad guy -- gurgling sounds...

Works for me...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i've had good luck with controlling the chin (and therefore the head, neck and body).

those sorts of things often happen up close. hand comes up from waist level with a palm strike under the chin. cup the chin (like a wrestling cross face). twist the neck and the body follows.

bad guy falls down. the ground hits a lot harder than i can (32 feet per second per second -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law). once he's down there i can stomp a mudhole in him or flee, depending on the situation.

this is no more a silver bullet than any of the other good ideas posted. just wanted to throw a new concept into the mix.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
those sorts of things often happen up close. hand comes up from waist level with a palm strike under the chin. cup the chin (like a wrestling cross face). twist the neck and the body follows.

We have something along these lines as part of our "Kibon Soo" (fundamental/basic techniques) in hapkido.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A short, bursting, fist strike. This strike has several major & minor chamber points behind it. It has worked for me many times, leaves them breathless. :xtrmshock
I was a Shodan when I started training, it took five years to finish.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
4 favorites would be leopards paw, tigers mouth, looping punch and looping ridge hand. None of which I've ever found in a self defense/mma school.
Leopards paw: as you're curling your fingers in to make a fist stop and make a "half fist" position. This way you be striking with the ridge of your first set of knuckles. Basicly just take leopards paw and punch them in the throut.
Tigers mouth: take your four fingers and curve them slightly, and arch the thumb. It should make a cup shape with your hands. Again, go for the neck. The leopards paw is stunning device, tigers mouth is meant as a set up to a stranglulation.
Looping ridge hand/looping punch: take attacking hand and swing it around all the way around your back, this generates momentum and therefore force. Keep you elbow bent slightly so it doesn't jam. For looping punch keep your fist bent towards you opponent and smash it into his/her nose. It'll smash like balsam wood. The ridgehand needs to be arched away, and smashed into his/her neck. Aim for the bracial plexis.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am all about any cane technique, I walk with one so why not?

Amen, Bro. I had my doctor write me a prescription a few years back (which I carry in my wallet) so if the police ever question it, I'm covered.

And the techniques are there for an attacker in front, side, behind, bladed weapon, almost any one-on-one scenario.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say there is no motion that is going to save you; however, you can add power and devastation by negatively positioning your attacker with your free hand. It is the base of the art of Kenpo,

Latest Discussions