What is the name of kempo/kendo that uses the saya and kitana together

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what ryu of kenpo practice the use of duel wielding both a kitana on the right hand and saya on the left hand? thanks

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrong form of Kenpo... it's Yagyu Shingan Ryu that you're thinking of, who use the term "Kenpo" to refer to their sword methods. While that doesn't necessarily mean katana and saya in each hand, they do have a range of kata that feature it.

OP
DuskB4Dawn

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
thankyou. I also found this ryu has good information about techniques for rolling with the sword.
I should of posted this on the kendo forum instead of kenpo for this type of question.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Either the Japanese Sword Arts section, or the Koryu section would be ideal. Personally, I like the Koryu section, and it can always use more traffic, so that might be an idea. Yes, Yagyu Shingan Ryu has a number of methods for rolling with weapons (it's the same Ryu that I posted the video of in your thread on Taihenjutsu), I'd be interested to know where you found that, though, and what you've come across.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin note: Thread moved to Japanese Sword Arts.

OP
DuskB4Dawn

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Either the Japanese Sword Arts section, or the Koryu section would be ideal. Personally, I like the Koryu section, and it can always use more traffic, so that might be an idea. Yes, Yagyu Shingan Ryu has a number of methods for rolling with weapons (it's the same Ryu that I posted the video of in your thread on Taihenjutsu), I'd be interested to know where you found that, though, and what you've come across.

Just googled it and came up with a few results one was special rolling techniques in Yagya Shingan Ryu
http://samuraibujutsu.yuku.com/topic/438/Special-Rolling-Techniques#.TsEEkPKYs8U
I think it also mentions it on wiki aswell.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, I remember that forum... a pity it just didn't have the legs to really continue, Richard had a good group of knowledge contributing there. Cool. I may be able to copy a DVD for you as well, just ironing out the kinks in my recording process at the moment (the PC doesn't seem to want to do things in a nice way at the moment...)

OP
DuskB4Dawn

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes thank you, Any extra study material would be appreciated .
I found a video on youtube about Yugyu Shingan Ryu featuring the kitana and saya kata. It was exactly what I was looking for.
[video=youtube_share;7seU0jNQzok]http://youtu.be/7seU0jNQzok[/video]
although it was very short. it only shows 3 kata. I wish I could see more. there is a few things I learned from this.
I noticed he uses the saya to hit the side of the bokken not the edge he doesn't use the saya to block but deflect it and set up for a finishing strike.
He also is holding the saya in a backhand position that is uncommon for duel wielding they usually use the normal grip for both weapons.
I also noticed how he skillfully hides the saya by turning his body to the side. and the 3rd kata was very surprising and unexpected.
With the ukemi acobatic escapes. and ukemi with sword. sword/saya kata and kata in armor. I find this Ryu very interesting!

OP
DuskB4Dawn

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just noticed in the first kata he does block with the saya on the edge on the lower part of the blade. hmm wouldn't the katana cut straight thru the saya unless is was a metal saya and this is unlikely.
And I noticed that on the second kata when he turns his body he is hiding the fact that he has changed grip on the saya! this is brilliant and deceptive!
on the third kata he actually strikes the opponent with the saya and uses the opponents katana against them. amazing :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's Shimazu Kenji Sensei, head of the Sendai line of Yagyu Shingan Ryu (Chikuosha), as well as Morishige Ryu Hojutsu. You won't be learning that. It's a private school with only a few dojo outside of Japan, although one is in Australia, headed by Philip Hinshelwood Sensei in Gunnedah (the town that also gave us Miranda Kerr). It's not part of what we teach, although part of the Taijutsu aspect of that line are in the Genbukan/KJJR syllabus (Yagyu Shingan Ryu Katcchu Yawara).

Just a note, you may want to double check your spelling before you hit "Post", though. Especially the Japanese words, and most especially the names of persons and systems.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, time makes old men of us all, Steve... except me, you understand. I've been happily 24 for over 10 years now, and it's working out pretty well!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Ha, time makes old men of us all, Steve... except me, you understand. I've been happily 24 for over 10 years now, and it's working out pretty well!

Give it another 10 or so, and see how that works out for you....:lfao:

I filmed that something like 6 years ago, maybe more. Damn, how time flies.

Time, time, time, time, time, time: it takes you for a ride.
Time, time, time, time, time, time: never to arrive.
Time, time, time, time, time, time: dreams don't ever rhyme, wit
Time, time, time, time, time, time: makes you wonder why
Time, time, time, time, time, time: you ever even tried.....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Steve :waves:. Nice to see you again, mate, it's been a while - as you say, time flies by so quickly.