what is the main root of MA

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But we are still talking pool noodle vs Dao correct? I of course have the Dao.

That's in your own private dream world! Unless I name my longsword "Pool Noodle", in which case, sure! Though that's hardly an epic name for a sword. Charlemagne had "Joyeuse", Arthur had "Excalibur", and then there's a whole boatload of sword names from my Viking ancestors. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My name is Mark, which is derived from Mars, the Roman God of War. Martial Arts means Arts of Mars.

But, but, but ... so is mine!

As aforementioned, I also invented (will invent? Will have invented? I ain't tellin'!) time travel, hence I posit that the persona of Mars is based on ME, thus negating temporal evidence against my suit. :)

Ah, there you have the advantage of me, sirrah! A mickle upon such farthing trickery :lol:.

Those that still beareth grievance against me may try my mettle hand-to-hand in the lists, on the duelling grounds or on the field of battle. I shall await all comers with mine trusty longsword. May your blades break and shields shatter, may your harness fail thee at thy uttermost need, and may thy widows and widowers find no surcease from grief at thy falling before me.

Thou challengest me at thine own great peril. Tread carefully, fellow warriors, lest the Goddess of Chivalry lay thee low at my feet.

Now that's a good taunt :tup: :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's in your own private dream world! Unless I name my longsword "Pool Noodle", in which case, sure! Though that's hardly an epic name for a sword. Charlemagne had "Joyeuse", Arthur had "Excalibur", and then there's a whole boatload of sword names from my Viking ancestors. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

That's it

"You have insulted my family and the Shaolin temple"

:uhyeah:

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My name is Mark, which is derived from Mars, the Roman God of War. Martial Arts means Arts of Mars.

Ahhhh, a compelling argument - but alas, I have a better one! My name is Eisenhart which is German for "Iron heart," and rhymes with "Martial Art." Thus, the very term "Martial Art" was derived from my name. My first name, Darwin, is after Charles Darwin for the origin of the species, for I AM the origin of all Martial Art (I really hope no one is actually buying all this! :rolleyes: )

Wait..... could we have simultaneously created the same thing at the same time in history? Perhaps you are a reincarnation of me, or I of you. Which came first, the Langenschwert, or the Eisenhart? Oh, the questions run too deep for such a simple man! :shrug:

Read Illusions by Richard Bach. Thou art thine own driving force.

What!?! Could this be!!? Another fan of Bach, and ILLUSIONS? :highfive:

Last time I corresponded with him, I tried to urge him to go ahead with making ILLUSIONS into a movie (funding is the drawback, he says).

"Learning is finding out what you already know.
Doing is demonstrating that you know it.
Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you.

You are all learners, doers, teachers." ~ Richard Bach: ILLUSIONS

Retreat? Retreat??? Perish the thought! I would not fain depart the field of battle with nary a blow being struck. A churl, varlet and yea even a cowardly cur would I then be.

I admire your courage (or at least your mock, pretense for the Illusion of bravery). Then perhaps we could stand and fight together - - back to back (just watch where you're swingin' that sword!) :piratedan

"Brother to brother, yours in life and death.":knight:

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I admire your courage (or at least your mock, pretense for the Illusion of bravery). Then perhaps we could stand and fight together - - back to back (just watch where you're swingin' that sword!) :piratedan

You're right I'm calling off my Lawyer, this is MUCH more entertaining, and cheaper. :popcorn:

DUEL DUEL!!!!! Though for a duel I guess you have to fight each other... hmm no that's not good you both seem to be friends...

Lang, did you know Last said this about you? *whisper whisper whisper*
Last, guess what lang just said behind your back? *whisper whisper whipser*

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahhhh, a compelling argument - but alas, I have a better one! My name is Eisenhart which is German for "Iron heart," and rhymes with "Martial Art." Thus, the very term "Martial Art" was derived from my name. My first name, Darwin, is after Charles Darwin for the origin of the species, for I AM the origin of all Martial Art (I really hope no one is actually buying all this! :rolleyes: )

A better argument? How many duels am I gonna have to fight, here? :D Actually, Eisenhart is similar to Eisenpforte, a guard named in some German longsword manuals. :) You may have something there.

Wait..... could we have simultaneously created the same thing at the same time in history? Perhaps you are a reincarnation of me, or I of you. Which came first, the Langenschwert, or the Eisenhart? Oh, the questions run too deep for such a simple man! :shrug:

I guess I'm going to have to take Stephen Hawking out drinking again amd ask him. There goes another paycheque. :( I have no info on how he feels about Supertramp, either.

What!?! Could this be!!? Another fan of Bach, and ILLUSIONS? :highfive:

So it would seem. Strange, considering our diametrically opposed philosophical viewpoints. ;)

Last time I corresponded with him, I tried to urge him to go ahead with making ILLUSIONS into a movie (funding is the drawback, he says).

Everybody seems to have that problem. :)

(or at least your mock, pretense for the Illusion of bravery).

Them's fightin' words! Impugning my e-courage may draw the wrath of my martial pixels!!! Tread carefully, lest thy new allies forsake thee in thy hour of need!

Then perhaps we could stand and fight together - - back to back (just watch where you're swingin' that sword!) :piratedan

"Brother to brother, yours in life and death.":knight:

Then I shall rally the troops:

Huzzah, off to battle!!!

Tolkien-esquely,

-Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Get in line like everyone else! Just give me time to select some Seconds. Any takers? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel

-Mark

Aww forget it, you are looking at this from a Western perspective (to many rules) and I am looking at it from an Eastern Perspective (get on with it) and that would just cause another argument which leads to more duels and it just gets WAY to time consuming so I will just stick saying

"You have insulted my family and the Shaolin temple"

And I'm ok with that. :)

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aww forget it, you are looking at this from a Western perspective (to many rules)

Well, the rules weren't always followed. Once combat starts, the rules of engagement are: "win at all costs".

And then there's the back alley brawl, using rapiers and daggers. Or I can just knock on the temple doors and say "Can Xue Sheng come out and play?" :)

At which point, we can find a nice field or bridge, draw weapons, and proceed to kill each other like civilized human beings. :)

If I ever make it to Valhalla, I'm gonna need the practice ahead of time, so I'm still pluggin' for that duel. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, the rules weren't always followed. Once combat starts, the rules of engagement are: "win at all costs".

And then there's the back alley brawl, using rapiers and daggers. Or I can just knock on the temple doors and say "Can Xue Sheng come out and play?" :)

At which point, we can find a nice field or bridge, draw weapons, and proceed to kill each other like civilized human beings. :)

If I ever make it to Valhalla, I'm gonna need the practice ahead of time, so I'm still pluggin' for that duel. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Civilized!!!!!

Now you've taken all the fun out of it.

That's it, I'm taking my dao and going home. :uhyeah: