What is the Difference between Shaolin Kung Fu and Tang Soo Do?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not only that but he can't seem to decide whether he is Taoist, Buddhist or Christian. It's quite comical in a way, but I do wish he would make up his mind and stick to one religion rather than quoting from all 3 when they contradict each other.
My understanding is that in some Asian countries it's not so uncommon for many people to have an understanding of religions which allows them to practice all three at once. It all depends on your interpretation I suppose.

Nevertheless, it's quite a bit off-topic when talking about the history of the martial arts.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My understanding is that in some Asian countries it's not so uncommon for many people to have an understanding of religions which allows them to practice all three at once. It all depends on your interpretation I suppose.

Nevertheless, it's quite a bit off-topic when talking about the history of the martial arts.

Buddhist seek to live their lives like the "buddha" which is a term for the "perfect" human. Taoists seek to find the "Tao" or "path" which provides a perfect balance in nature and the cosmos. Christians worship God as the creator of the world and seek to do his bidding. Since neither Taoists or Buddhists believe in a God, I can't see how you can believe in all three religions at the same time. You might practice them but you won't fully believe in them all at once, since they contradict one another.

Annnnnyyyywhooooo, let's try and get back on topic. If we take "Shaolin" Kungfu to mean Lohan18, is there any connection between that and Tang Soo Do? I know very little about either Martial Art so I can't form an opinion on it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think religion is necessarily divorced from martial arts, many people don' compartmentalise their lives the way many do so religious belief/faith flows through everything they do. It means their religious beliefs/faiths aren't so out of place when talking and practising martial arts. However I feel the OP is probably trolling us whether intentionally in a way to make fun of people or unintentionally because he doesn't understand what he is talking about.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think religion is necessarily divorced from martial arts, many people don' compartmentalise their lives the way many do so religious belief/faith flows through everything they do. It means their religious beliefs/faiths aren't so out of place when talking and practising martial arts. However I feel the OP is probably trolling us whether intentionally in a way to make fun of people or unintentionally because he doesn't understand what he is talking about.
Actually, according to the profile, the OP appears to be a 15 year-old girl.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably ran for the hills then after this thread!

It's odd. The OP hasn't said anything in all this, and yet they have at the very least read some of it because they "liked" the Grandmaster's post which said
And the face of God was opon the deep

Take of that what you will. It's possible the Grandmaster and the OP are the same person using 2 different accounts, but of course there is no way to prove this.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This whole dialogue is ridiculous.
I'm going to guess that the OP, who hasn't been back since his initial question has been watching sparring videos on YouTube and based on that, can't tell the difference between Tang Soon Do and things calling themselves Shoalin Kung Fu.

This whole thing is a custom rathole.

I take it back. This thread is freaking awesome!

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
And the face of God was opon the deep

A Window at the Gates of Bill.

windows_7_1_milestone_1_desktop_screen_by_furkooo85-d6xbglz.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually have no idea what's going on

Me neither.

I'm not sure but I think if you know what Grandmaster is talking about you get instant zen enlightenment and are granted access to the super secret 39th world of Super Mario Brothers

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do reflect real life here, conversations ebb, flow and go off topic just as it would if we were all sat in the pub. some people pop in for just a quick pint, others nurse their soft drink all night while others, mix their drinks or stay on the Murphys. We should relish the variety we have here no whinge because humour pops it's head up or that we wander off topic onto something else before wandering back. We are not in school or university after all more like in the student's Union bar. ( I assume you have those elsewhere, brilliant places)

Reaction score
Then you should know the answer already is yes they are similar and yes you can swipe pieces of any art and put them into another. The principals that are used are sometimes different so you will have to know the cheat sheet for the art which is the principles of the art.