what is the difference between Aikido and Iaido?

Mr.NayNay

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello I wanted to ask a question about the difference between Aikido and Iaido, I know I have practiced Aikido but not Iaido, and I wanted to understand the difference and the philosphy of it as well.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Iaido, from what I understand, is a sword art that focuses on the blade draw. Aikido, from what i understand, is neither a sword art, nor does it focus primarily on the blade draw.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kempodisciple has it correct. While Aikido does include some sword work, it is heavily watered down. It appears to have been altered to emphasize principles Ueshiba wanted to develop for empty-hand movement and I've been told it lacks much real functionality for fighting with a sword. Iaido is entirely about the sword work, as I understand it.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know I have practiced Aikido but not Iaido, and I wanted to understand the difference and the philosphy of it as well.
First thing to do in trying to understand the philosophy of iaido, is to understand that iaido is a descriptive word, not an art. There are quite a number of schools that practice iaido, and they encompass just as many different philosophies about their training.
When people ask about iaido, I always tell them to think of dancing. Not that iaido equates to dancing (although I've seen schools that it seems to!) but that the descriptive is used the same way. If you take your original statement and substituted dancing for iaido, it would leave you with obvious questions. While ballet, two step, and break dancing are all dancing, they have much different philosophies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing to do in trying to understand the philosophy of iaido, is to understand that iaido is a descriptive word, not an art. There are quite a number of schools that practice iaido, and they encompass just as many different philosophies about their training.
When people ask about iaido, I always tell them to think of dancing. Not that iaido equates to dancing (although I've seen schools that it seems to!) but that the descriptive is used the same way. If you take your original statement and substituted dancing for iaido, it would leave you with obvious questions. While ballet, two step, and break dancing are all dancing, they have much different philosophies.
Ah, so saying "Iaido" is about as specific as saying "Karate", then?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello I wanted to ask a question about the difference between Aikido and Iaido, I know I have practiced Aikido but not Iaido, and I wanted to understand the difference and the philosphy of it as well.
Aikido is mostly empty hand techniques, with very little and underdeveloped sword work. Iaido is sword work only, with every technique beginning with he brandishing of the blade, and ending with the sheathing of the blade.

Karasu

White Belt
Reaction score

Lots of search algorithms also seem to have a problem in differentiating those two arts.

Searching for iaidō often ends in getting presented with countless videos auf aikidōka swinging around bokuto, while pretending to be students of iaidō. ;)

Ah, so saying "Iaido" is about as specific as saying "Karate", then?

Yes, more or less.

There are dozens of ryū with sometimes vastly different curricula, where iaidō can be just a small part of the training.

On the other hand, there is the so called Zen Nihon Kendō Renmei Iaidō or Seitei Iai, which is the standardized iaidō of the All Japan Kendo Federation.
It was originally introduced for kendō practicioners to have a smaller standard curriculum of iai kata, so that they could train with real swords without the necessity of being part of a ryūha.

Nowadays it is also used by a big part of the iaidō community for seminars, taikai and gradings.

A smaller group is part of the Zen Nihon Iaidō Renmei which has its own seitei iaidō called tōhō iai.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of search algorithms also seem to have a problem in differentiating those two arts.

Searching for iaidō often ends in getting presented with countless videos auf aikidōka swinging around bokuto, while pretending to be students of iaidō. ;)

Yes, more or less.

There are dozens of ryū with sometimes vastly different curricula, where iaidō can be just a small part of the training.

On the other hand, there is the so called Zen Nihon Kendō Renmei Iaidō or Seitei Iai, which is the standardized iaidō of the All Japan Kendo Federation.
It was originally introduced for kendō practicioners to have a smaller standard curriculum of iai kata, so that they could train with real swords without the necessity of being part of a ryūha.

Nowadays it is also used by a big part of the iaidō community for seminars, taikai and gradings.

A smaller group is part of the Zen Nihon Iaidō Renmei which has its own seitei iaidō called tōhō iai.
I'm trying to remember whether I've ever heard anyone refer to the bo/sword training in Aikido as "Iaido". I think I might have, which would screw with those search algorithms.

Karasu

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember whether I've ever heard anyone refer to the bo/sword training in Aikido as "Iaido".

It was more meant as a snarky comment towards those aikidōka, who do not see the need of formal instruction in iaidō, but still upload dozens of videos showing them doing or teaching really bad iaidō. ;)

And it is not limited to aikidōka, but alot of people commit themselves to youtube-ryū. :D
Iaidō seems to attract many people who do want to be able to do it, but do not really want to learn it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was more meant as a snarky comment towards those aikidōka, who do not see the need of formal instruction in iaidō, but still upload dozens of videos showing them doing or teaching really bad iaidō. ;)

And it is not limited to aikidōka, but alot of people commit themselves to youtube-ryū. :D
Iaidō seems to attract many people who do want to be able to do it, but do not really want to learn it.
I generally regard the "swordwork" taught in Aikido schools as useful for reinforcing their empty-hand movement, but not terribly useful in and of itself. I'm pretty sure there are some folks in Aikido who'd agree with that, and are comfortable with it for that purpose. But there do appear to be some who regard it as serious swordwork.

Karasu

White Belt
Reaction score
But there do appear to be some who regard it as serious swordwork.

There are some aikidō styles with an emphasis on aikiken, and it can be really good swordwork from some of those practicioners.

Coming back to the original question of this thread:
There are more differences between aikidō and iaidō than similarities. :D

OP
Mr.NayNay

Mr.NayNay

White Belt
Reaction score
Aikido is mostly empty hand techniques, with very little and underdeveloped sword work. Iaido is sword work only, with every technique beginning with he brandishing of the blade, and ending with the sheathing of the blade.
Okay

OP
Mr.NayNay

Mr.NayNay

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay I did not know there was a philosophy encompass with their training that is pretty interesting.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay I did not know there was a philosophy encompass with their training that is pretty interesting.

I think you will find that pretty much every art (I cannot think of any exceptions...) does.
How much attention is paid to this philosophy will vary widely, of course.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you will find that pretty much every art (I cannot think of any exceptions...) does.
How much attention is paid to this philosophy will vary widely, of course.

I would argue that sport-based arts might not have a central philosophy.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you name one, specifically?

Boxing, MMA, wrestling.

I'm not saying that you can't put philosophy with them, but when I took wrestling in middle school the only "philosophy" we had was to practice and improve the techniques and then pin the other guy. There was no symbolism or message behind any of it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxing, MMA, wrestling.

I'm not saying that you can't put philosophy with them, but when I took wrestling in middle school the only "philosophy" we had was to practice and improve the techniques and then pin the other guy. There was no symbolism or message behind any of it.

Self-improvement. A perfectly valid and commonly referenced philosophy.
Were you taught to follow the rules? That's following a moral/philosophical guide, too.

Latest Discussions