What is the best diet for a martial artist?

CityChicken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Generally a good practice but I did once listen to a guy that was 100 being interviewed that when asked what he did to maintain his heath and live so long answered that he had no idea because he smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and drank beer regularly :)

my great-grandmother will turn 100 this July (Lord willing) and here is her daily consumption, no lie:

Bacon & eggs
Chocolate, prefers Hershey Kisses and M&Ms
Wild Turkey Bourbon on the rocks
maybe some ice cream if she's still hungry.

:)

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hear plenty of stories of those with long life smoking I would love to see the study of it and why there is no ill effect. I found it interesting that in the Okinawan diet book they found that genetics did not play that much
in the role of health vs cultural customs. I am interested though if a person say lives to 100 on a diet of garbage and say dies in 5yrs how much so would that person have lived if the diet was always good that would be a nice study. I have noticed with the older people get the more child like they are. As for Okinawans eating brown rice I will have to reread that I know Japanese(yes I know Okinawans are not Japanese)
will not touch Brown rice because to them it is dry. Japanese I feel are a great control model for americans because their life style is hectic they have the same conditions that we have but they live longer. I like the Okinawans enjoy Jasmine tea. I really do not know why American fast food does not cash in on using natural meats or more vegeterian meals I see they are starting to move slowly towards that market with sides like apple slices or rasins and veggie burgers guess we will have to wait in see.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I eat stacks... i'd be stuffed if i got lost in the bush without any food 'cause i'm hungry every couple of hours! I've tried fasting every now and then (apparently it's good for you) but i just feel sick and dizzy after a day or two, so i stopped that!
My diet is mainly grains, fruit and veges, love my nuts, partial to a few eggs a week, eat fish, chicken and tempeh for protein but can't come at red meat no matter how good it smells - for some reason it makes me throw up if i eat it. And i eat a few squares of dark choccy a day too... just to quell the cravings :)
My bad habits would have to be caffeine and salt... love my vegemite and also have quite a few stir frys so go through a fair bit of tamari soy sauce.

Latest Discussions