What is Systema? Systema Self Defense Mega clip

Gerardo Mendoza S

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I Jarrod:
I will ry to respond your cuestions, excuse me, my english is limited:

In my experience the method of Systema hand Striking is more deep, focused and "massive" than other methods, I have experience in Karate, Kung Fu and Muai Thai, and IS more strong, at least in stand up, face to face, But this is not a goal per se, In Systema is more reliable -and easy- hit multiple targets, more than try to demolish someone with just one powerful hit -that is possible, but not the best idea-, especially en real world self defense.

About the "focused hits" in the ankle, I did feel in myself this skill of Vlad on the year 2000, when M. Ryabko did visit Toronto, I was donig some ligth , soft knife spar with an advanced student of Vlad, -a guy of many of their first videos- when Vlad come to me, pass me for my back and suddenly, hit me in any points in my left ankle, rigth knee, low back and left shoulder...

I did fall has a puppet without strings, I was amazed because Vlad dont hurt me, and I didn t feel any pain or so, I just simply did fall without resistence.

IMHO Vñad has a huge experience to find balance and pain points in every student,

Excuse my bad english, Thank you

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok guys, everyone has explained some things to me that were not readily apparent in the video. i am willing to accept systema as a potentially effective approach. keep in mind, my first statement was "looks questionable" not "looks like a pile of crap" :)

we've all heard that seeing is believing, but we all know that in the martial arts game feeling is believing. like i said, i'm open minded & will train with some systema guys when the opportunity presents itself.

that said, my primary style is shingitai jujitsu, which was founded by john saylor. in recent years john has become a proponent of systema, & i know he is affiliated with vladimir in some way. i have TREMENDOUS respect & admiration for john, so if his endorsement doesn't have me convinced nothing will except for my own experience.

gerardo, you have no need to apologize for your english, your writing is very understandable.

jf

Latest Discussions