What is Self Defense? (Kenpo-Jiu Jitsu)

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi John,

When I saw this post I called Hanshi, I had read that very information on SJK.

I believe I have this right Kiyoka Yoshida (mitose) was the mother of Fusae Mitose and James. Maybe Fusae changed her name to protect herself and was teaching after James left the Island. In blunders Will (not the sharpest rock in the road) and is totally conned???

Could Will have been mis-spelling the name of Fusae Mitose and messed up the name of Yoshida to Oshita. Some sort of perverse joke? I mean with the cult he and his wife founded and "I belive might still be undergroud" They must have gotten into some stong MJ.

Fusae being the sister of James??? Or ex Girl friend ????

And, No I don't partake of that stuff...Stongest stuff these days is Welchs grape juice...

I know I am speculating and could lose my Gi here, but that is the best I could come up with.

I can't tell you what Hanshi said about Will, but it was not kind, true but harsh.

He said go ahead and see what they say, you can't screw it up any worse then Will did...

Pure unadulterated speculation on my part, I take the whole blame...

Put that decoder ring on your left thumb it might help...LOL

Regards, Gary

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi John,

When I saw this post I called Hanshi, I had read that very information on SJK.

I believe I have this right Kiyoka Yoshida (mitose) was the mother of Fusae Mitose and James. Maybe Fusae changed her name to protect herself and was teaching after James left the Island. In blunders Will (not the sharpest rock in the road) and is totally conned???

Could Will have been mis-spelling the name of Fusae Mitose and messed up the name of Yoshida to Oshita. Some sort of perverse joke? I mean with the cult he and his wife founded and "I belive might still be undergroud" They must have gotten into some stong MJ.

Fusae being the sister of James??? Or ex Girl friend ????

And, No I don't partake of that stuff...Stongest stuff these days is Welchs grape juice...

I know I am speculating and could lose my Gi here, but that is the best I could come up with.

I can't tell you what Hanshi said about Will, but it was not kind, true but harsh.

He said go ahead and see what they say, you can't screw it up any worse then Will did...

Pure unadulterated speculation on my part, I take the whole blame...

Regards, Gary
The way the story goes is her true name was Clara Mitose. And she was James's sister. Her Japanese name was Fusae Mitose. Her married name was Oshita.

So I'm still suggesting that if the Tracy's want to put forth the claim that she was a "Great Grandmaster", they should be able to easily obtain class pictures of her from her days of assisting James Mitose, and William Chow.

Mitose put pictures of Choki Motobu and Kamesuke Higashionna in his book. They were both masters of Okinawan kenpo karate.
One has to wonder why Mitose would use their pictures in his book, when he came from a family with a long line of kenpo masters?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
One has to wonder why Mitose would use their pictures in his book, when he came from a family with a long line of kenpo masters?
Wondered that myself. If Mitose had all of these (20) ancestors passing the pure form down [that doesn't really involve fighting anyone due to their uber-spiritual bent], then what is he doing taking lessons from a person with such a violent reputation? Someone who used to say things like, "Karate is Sente" and "I started having fights in Tsuji when I was young, and fought over 100 of them, but I was never hit in the face." etc.

Not the peaceful serene type of instructor Mitose would have sought out and praised eh?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GAB said:
Todd,

If you knew his thoughts on what true self defense is, you would not be asking the question, that is the nut inside of the shell.

But no one wanted to hear his thoughts on true self defense. He must have been reading Gichin Funakoshi or visa versa. True self defense is not getting in an altercation. No fighting, then if you have to, still evade and if all else fails then the fighting arts, throwing or manipulating the opponent, then blocking, then striking and kicking last.

The cold war with Russia was a good example of self defense a few small skirimishishes but not the bomb anymore..

But look at the stupidity of it or was it, prosperous times build this then, that, then this again...

Hey just thinking about what you said...

Regards, Gary

When "you" are asking the question. "You are the good student" when others are asking, is it a different story???
Actually the Cold War was more about two enties that feared the others strenght. In a analogy it would be like having a street rep and avoiding fights that way. Again there are avenues and audiences for books on philosophy. People still debate the "E Cogito Sum", in fact Sarte wroten a whole section in "Being and nothingness" to debunk it.
I Imagine a book with out pictures would be a lot cheaper to print, there fore less investers, therefor less pressure. Here's teh thing with his life philosophy, he did'nt follow it-but wanted to spread it???
Questions are good
But could you please focus a little tighter for me?

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
The way the story goes is her true name was Clara Mitose. And she was James's sister. Her Japanese name was Fusae Mitose. Her married name was Oshita.

So I'm still suggesting that if the Tracy's want to put forth the claim that she was a "Great Grandmaster", they should be able to easily obtain class pictures of her from her days of assisting James Mitose, and William Chow.

Mitose put pictures of Choki Motobu and Kamesuke Higashionna in his book. They were both masters of Okinawan kenpo karate.
Hi John,

This chess game is taking some time but we will get there eventually...

Thanks for confirming what some of us know...When this was discussed on another thread no one realized we are talking a women not a man..You notice others referred to "him" not Will though...Still, "the game is a foot"... I like that saying (Sherlock Holmes) to Dr Watson...Some can relate others can't, means it is on the move (animal or man or ???)...

As far as why use other pictures, rather then the ones of your own lineage...

Goes back to the secrets, and how many games have we all played???

Sometimes we are fishing and other times we are hunting and other times we just want to kill something...

Gamesmanship, you have to love it.

Same as golf, it is when the stress finally takes over and they blow it.
No better player then Greg Norman...But, he just gave out when stress built up...Johnny Miller one of my all time favorites...Had to give up the game because of the shakes and it was all mental.

The pursuit is what is the stimulas, the catch is a let down.

Intrigue, that is all about James Mitose and his sordid life...Am I getting to deep here? Or, I should say can anyone follow???

John, are you one step ahead? Is there a chance I can get you and Hanshi together???

Thanks John, Your signature is a give away...Mine also...

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Actually the Cold War was more about two enties that feared the others strenght. In a analogy it would be like having a street rep and avoiding fights that way. Again there are avenues and audiences for books on philosophy. People still debate the "E Cogito Sum", in fact Sarte wroten a whole section in "Being and nothingness" to debunk it.
I Imagine a book with out pictures would be a lot cheaper to print, there fore less investers, therefor less pressure. Here's teh thing with his life philosophy, he did'nt follow it-but wanted to spread it???
Questions are good
But could you please focus a little tighter for me?
Hi Todd, Yes, one mans opinion and then anothers. Kind of like in the court room both sides have experts and both sides have their story.

I am looking for what others are "truth" but as all have agenda's (as John said and put a nail in my coffin). But hey no biggie, you got to play the hand you are dealt.

Game is not over till it is over..Got to Love YOGI... His book about "when you come to the Y in to road and all that stuff". We are talking pure Gamesmanship...

Regards, Gary

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Focus, Please. I have no clue as to what you are talking about! Could I decipher it? Probably, is it worth it, NO. Try to focus, Please. If you want the truth, quit pinning your hopes on outrageous theories.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Focus, Please. I have no clue as to what you are talking about! Could I decipher it? Probably, is it worth it, NO. Try to focus, Please. If you want the truth, quit pinning your hopes on outrageous theories.
Hi Todd,

See we differ quite a bit you take it as theory and I am trying to explain it...

For example, I will tell you it is a shade of black and you will say it is grey...Or visa versa...

You need to quit your continuous correction of me and stick to the subject yourself. You will learn more that way...

I never worry about your continuous mistakes in your typing or other statements, so don't worry about mine especially when the thread is not directed towards your comment.

Hanshi has the keys Todd, Last night we talked and he said if you tell them outright then you won't know how much they know...

Now read this. Very few knew/know that person John and I are talking about is a she and not a he...
Reminds me of the thread that turned to gender that Joe got hammered on...

Now if you don't know about that One I would advise you to go to Joes name in Membership. Or find out the last post by clicking on his name and then clicking on the post's he has been in...

Find out where he was and then you will know the thread I am talking about.

You are not a moderator or ??? So give it up Todd... Hundreds read this, its not like a personnal E-mail...

Respectfully requested...

Regards, Gary

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GAB

I know i'm not a mod. I thought if you could be understood, maybe you would make some headway. You avoid. evade, talk around the truth as much as possible. Answer question with a question. Why
case in point If you are talking about the Kiyoka Yoshida theory why not just say it? If you are not then why not say it? Do you think it sound better with all your dancing around?

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Garys posts are always interesting.

Medicated, Intoxicated or just from aliens beaming the rays. Make a tinfoil hat, stop the madness.

Topic, what is topic. Let us take a magic carpet ride.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
GAB

I know i'm not a mod. I thought if you could be understood, maybe you would make some headway. You avoid. evade, talk around the truth as much as possible. Answer question with a question. Why
case in point If you are talking about the Kiyoka Yoshida theory why not just say it? If you are not then why not say it? Do you think it sound better with all your dancing around?
Ok Todd, before the discussion and what lead up to it did you know about Kiyoka Yoshida being James Mitose's mother?

She changed her name back to her maiden name "if you want that verbage". Or did you just now pick up on it and if you knew about it before why have you not brought that information forth...

Now I am at liberty to bring it about in a fashon but not to disclose it totally..

I have explained it in prior post's there are, books being created, as we speak and unless I know what others know I am not going to be the one to devulge...
But apparently people would rather attack me and what I am try to do then listen and learn...
When you go to the dojo do they teach the white belt the brown belts Katas???
No! So I am not going to devulge anymore then you have the ability to ask...

Put it this way you say to me, I learned the Niahanchi Kata as a white belt will you tell me all about it??? (in dojo) I say we don't teach that until say (whatever you want because some schools teach at different times) and then I ask, where did you learn that you are only a white belt...

Oh I saw it on a video and want to learn it sooner because I already know it...I say do the Kata...You say, Huh, or you show me before I show you or correct it or say no we don't do that..Next question...Does that make sense to you??

I have explained the Chess game many times Todd. Try and get a straight answer out of a Sub level 4 instructor, good luck...

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bester said:
Garys posts are always interesting.

Medicated, Intoxicated or just from aliens beaming the rays. Make a tinfoil hat, stop the madness.

Topic, what is topic. Let us take a magic carpet ride.
Hi Bester, Ain't that the truth...LOL

You know that is the truth for me to stay on topic is tough, not just because I can't, the persons who are asking or hammering me don't stay there either...

I will say this, about that, and the other thing. Is it clear now???LOL

Topic, the book that James Mitose wrote and was edited and is the 1981 Copy...Right???

Anyone have a useful question or should we just close up early and get a couple of shooter's and beer???

Regards, Gary

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
okay ever one lets foolow the twists and turns down the warren hole. The name with with Mitose-there have been what 4 different stories on what the name could have been, all without a shread of proof.

Now I am at liberty to bring it about in a fashon but not to disclose it totally

This will be different from all the times you pasted before....How??

Please don't think I'm trying to attack you. 1.) We are havinga discussion or a debate 2.) I don't like opinions presenrted as fact, then refered to as again as fact, same goes for Theories
And no in the Dojo I do not teach White Belts Brown Belt Katas. But... They stay constant, are not lied about or told false assumptions about the kata

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Bester, Ain't that the truth...LOL

You know that is the truth for me to stay on topic is tough, not just because I can't, the persons who are asking or hammering me don't stay there either...

I will say this, about that, and the other thing. Is it clear now???LOL

Topic, the book that James Mitose wrote and was edited and is the 1981 Copy...Right???

Anyone have a useful question or should we just close up early and get a couple of shooter's and beer???

Regards, Gary
GAB
Don't tell me you are wondering why no one else can stay on topic??? Too Funny!!

Regardless of the year they would have been all written and edited by the same person

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've all seen people who join discussions to cause caos, bring attention to themselves, or put forward their own agenda. The term I see used on internet forums is "trolls".
But people are welcome to post here as long as they abide by the rules of the forum.

Myself personally, I'm just going to ignore GAB, and continue with the excellent discussions we have had here on the kenpo arts.

My own reasons for ignoring GAB are simple.
By his own admission, GAB is not a kenpo stylist, so he has not spent the time in the kenpo arts to have any real first hand knowledge. Which is not a bad thing, until you start questioning or insulting people who have/had spent 20-60 years in the kenpo arts.
And I have grown tired of his rants, incoherrant writings, innuendo, and propaganda.

If his claims are true, then I say this:

Being a white belt in Kajukenbo 40 years ago,
Being in the Marine Corp for 4 years,
Being on LAPD for 10 years,
Practicing FMA,
Having Bruce Juchnik as your son's teacher,
Are all good things, but not anything that qualifies a person to have a educated opinion on everything and everyone in kenpo.

I find it real hard to believe that someone in the position that Bruce Juchnik is in, would pick someone like GAB to be his spokesman.
One would think that he would pick someone a little more knowledgeable, a little more articulate, a little less likely to rant and carry on, and someone who actually practiced kenpo.

For all I know GAB could be a troublesome teenager, or just someone who likes to read his own words on the internet. In reality, nobody here really knows GAB.

So as I said, I personally will be continuing to participate in these interesting and useful discussions, and just ignore GAB.

So GAB, don't take it out on any of the members or staff here by ranting about what I said personally.
Everyone here is going to do what they choose to do. I'm simply saying that I will be ignoring your posts for the above stated reasons.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
We've all seen people who join discussions to cause caos, bring attention to themselves, or put forward their own agenda. The term I see used on internet forums is "trolls".
But people are welcome to post here as long as they abide by the rules of the forum.

Myself personally, I'm just going to ignore GAB, and continue with the excellent discussions we have had here on the kenpo arts.

My own reasons for ignoring GAB are simple.
By his own admission, GAB is not a kenpo stylist, so he has not spent the time in the kenpo arts to have any real first hand knowledge. Which is not a bad thing, until you start questioning or insulting people who have/had spent 20-60 years in the kenpo arts.
And I have grown tired of his rants, incoherrant writings, innuendo, and propaganda.

If his claims are true, then I say this:

Being a white belt in Kajukenbo 40 years ago,
Being in the Marine Corp for 4 years,
Being on LAPD for 10 years,
Practicing FMA,
Having Bruce Juchnik as your son's teacher,
Are all good things, but not anything that qualifies a person to have a educated opinion on everything and everyone in kenpo.

I find it real hard to believe that someone in the position that Bruce Juchnik is in, would pick someone like GAB to be his spokesman.
One would think that he would pick someone a little more knowledgeable, a little more articulate, a little less likely to rant and carry on, and someone who actually practiced kenpo.

For all I know GAB could be a troublesome teenager, or just someone who likes to read his own words on the internet. In reality, nobody here really knows GAB.

So as I said, I personally will be continuing to participate in these interesting and useful discussions, and just ignore GAB.

So GAB, don't take it out on any of the members or staff here by ranting about what I said personally.
Everyone here is going to do what they choose to do. I'm simply saying that I will be ignoring your posts for the above stated reasons.
Welcome to the club. Hopefully our membership will continue to grow.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Focus, lose focus,
Everything is so green.
Worms eat my brain,
Khan said so
The game is afoot,
Checkmate in 3

Gary, Queen to Queens Level Three

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I had the impression that Mitose was the publisher, while the students fronted the money.

How could you realistically publish a book on the martial arts with no pictures?
So let me rephrase the answer:
If the students fronted the money and wanted pictures in the book wouldn't Mitose consent to doing pictures to get it published. If he needed their money and did not want them to rescind their funding?

kelly

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
GAB
Don't tell me you are wondering why no one else can stay on topic??? Too Funny!!

Regardless of the year they would have been all written and edited by the same person
Hi Kai

I am going to answer this to you.

The one that was edited in 81 had some things added to it by several of the persons Hanshi Bruce had introduced to James Mitose to get certificates, added some information in that book and not the one that is the original when Mitose had it done in 1953...Similar to a reprint with some added by Hanshi...

Hope that is clear...

Of course I run off of topic...

John and all, that is fine with me...You say what you want, have been for quite awhile and when it is all written in a few books that will come out with in???

It will be clearer for you and you will then know. So continue to speculate and postulate and that is fine..I am who I am and that is what I have been telling you...

I will be fine with it either way...

Hanshi likes what is happening and that is all that counts...

Regards, Gary