What is Reiki?

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki )
Reiki is a form of spiritual healing and spiritual practice proposed for the treatment of physical, emotional, mental and spiritual diseases. Reiki was first developed in the 20th century by Mikao Usui when he claimed the ability of 'healing without energy depletion' after three weeks of fasting and meditating on Mount Kurama.
Reiki peractioners use a laying of the hands and channel energy that flows through the palms to heal a person. The reiki energy can be shared by practioners by a master of reiki innitiatin/ attuning them to the reiki energy.

Master Usui trained/ attuned many people to the riki energy. One of the disciples was a naval doctor, named Chujiro Hayashi. Chujiro than attuned Mrs. Hawayo Takata, who than brought Reiki to the USA. This is the reason why reiki is now known and taught/ practiced here in the U.S.

For even more information on reiki you can go to the wikipedia website that is posted at the beginning of this thread.

Sincerely, Eric Daniel

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a level 1 Reiki practioner but I have never used it outside the seminar. I didn't attend the Level 2 course. It is very interesting and I enjoyed it. There is another Reiki practioner that is on the board. I'll let that person identify themself if they so desire. (you know who you are ;) ) I beleive Reiki healing can be very effective.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki )
Reiki is a form of spiritual healing and spiritual practice proposed for the treatment of physical, emotional, mental and spiritual diseases. Reiki was first developed in the 20th century by Mikao Usui when he claimed the ability of 'healing without energy depletion' after three weeks of fasting and meditating on Mount Kurama.
Reiki peractioners use a laying of the hands and channel energy that flows through the palms to heal a person. The reiki energy can be shared by practioners by a master of reiki innitiatin/ attuning them to the reiki energy.

Master Usui trained/ attuned many people to the riki energy. One of the disciples was a naval doctor, named Chujiro Hayashi. Chujiro than attuned Mrs. Hawayo Takata, who than brought Reiki to the USA. This is the reason why reiki is now known and taught/ practiced here in the U.S.

For even more information on reiki you can go to the wikipedia website that is posted at the beginning of this thread.

Sincerely, Eric Daniel

I am not a reiki practicioner. I know almost nothing about it other then what I just read hear and on the other thread. However, my FMA teacher was married to a Master Level Reiki practicioner, so he mentioned it a time or two...

Anyway, I am not at all into the new age stuff and I am not inclined to believe in things like this as a part of a general "defense against charlatans" screening process.

So, my question is this, would reiki work on me if I don't believe in it?

My intent with this question is not meant to be disrespectful. I would only like to learn more. In fact, if I knew that I could approach a reiki practicioner with a headache and they could help me even though I may be skeptical or even outright disbelieve what they were doing, that would definitely prompt me to give it a try sometime.

A professor of mine once said, "you can't disbelieve reality."

I believe that.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my experience, it could. Reiki, however, is much like any other drug or therapy ... it might work and it might not. Ever taken aspirin for a headache and it didn't go away? Works the same way - the Divine does not wish for all beings to be healed and not all beings truly wish to be healed.

Scientific studies have shown that the measurable effect Reiki can have on healing is about the same as the placebo effect, yet the placebo effect is reliable enough to be used as a therapy.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Scientific studies have shown that the measurable effect Reiki can have on healing is about the same as the placebo effect, yet the placebo effect is reliable enough to be used as a therapy.

I've always thought of the "placebo effect" as a blanket term that covers a bunch of stuff that scientists have yet to learn about our bodies.

In my opinion, if one can induce this "effect" through, whatever means, I think it is better then putting a bunch of chemicals in your body.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always thought of the "placebo effect" as a blanket term that covers a bunch of stuff that scientists have yet to learn about our bodies.

In my opinion, if one can induce this "effect" through, whatever means, I think it is better then putting a bunch of chemicals in your body.
Actually, the placebo effect has been studied pretty thoroughly and has some specific meanings. Just good for pain relief for one thing.

Jeff

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember, I said "measurable effect." :)

And Reiki does not just deal with pain, but the source of the problem.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
don't know much about reiki, but do know a bit regarding chinese energy modalities. my opinion is much of it is placebo effect. people have to feel their flesh, which is denser than energy, before they can do anything with energy. there is an overlap, where you can start feeling energy while you are still learning how to feel your physical presence, but this has to be taught, and many/most? teachers either don't take the time or don't know it themselves. the mind is a wonderful thing, people like to be lied to, and placebos work based on those principles.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, the placebo effect has been studied pretty thoroughly and has some specific meanings. Just good for pain relief for one thing.

Jeff

The placebo effect has been studied quite thoroughly but it is much like Newton's explanation for gravity. Good enough to get us to the moon, but not good enough to explain exactly what it was. That is where Einstein came in...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not a reiki practicioner. I know almost nothing about it other then what I just read hear and on the other thread. However, my FMA teacher was married to a Master Level Reiki practicioner, so he mentioned it a time or two...

Anyway, I am not at all into the new age stuff and I am not inclined to believe in things like this as a part of a general "defense against charlatans" screening process.

Personally, I'm not in to new age stuff either, or new age people for that matter. Having a defense against charlatans isn't a bad thing. Anywhere there are teachers, one can find bad teachers and good teachers. The reason why one seeks out a teacher is so they can teach or do someting that one doesn't understand. It takes a teacher with a sense of honor to not exploit that vulnerability in the person that seeks help. A Reiki master teacher is no different.

Personally I'm no expert but I think it's possible for Reiki to work on someone that doesn't necessarily believe in it.

My intent with this question is not meant to be disrespectful. I would only like to learn more. In fact, if I knew that I could approach a reiki practicioner with a headache and they could help me even though I may be skeptical or even outright disbelieve what they were doing, that would definitely prompt me to give it a try sometime.

A professor of mine once said, "you can't disbelieve reality."

I believe that.

Nothing wrong with being skeptical. Many folks that partake in some aspects of the healing arts are skeptical in the beginning, but become less skeptical upon feeling the results. An experienced Reiki Master Teacher will have worked with skeptics before.

What I don't think is very productive is deliberately fighting a healing arts attempt to help. If one tries to fight off the effect of prescription medications, one often lessens their theraputic effect. Same with the healing arts. If one deliberately fights the treatment, one often lessens their theraputic effect.

Likewise, much like allopathic medicine, there is no singular cure-all that works for everything, all the time. I wish there was such a thing.

And much like picking a doctor, how one picks a Reiki Master Teacher can make a difference in one's treatment. What is their education/lineage...how long have they been working with Reiki...do they do anything that you find unpleasant...are they someone you can trust?

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had been curious about this too, since we work with healing arts.
In looking into it on the web, it seemed like a scam. You make a paypal payment to the reiki master and they "attune you" after the payment the clears.
Then I had an oppertunity to work with some one that I think is a legitimate teacher of the art.
I do shiatsu, as does this reiki teacher. The 2 os us worked together on a "patient" who was just incredibly stiff and aching and just miserable. Then after we did all the massage, she went ahead with the reiki. With her hands placed on his head, she told me to put my hands at the bottom of his feet - they should be getting hot now. It felt like hot air being blown out of his feet by a fan. It was fantastic. He went to sleep and woke up in the morning feeling 90% better. Then there was another short shiatsu/reiki session that cleared up what remained.

We did shiatsu and reiki together and I think they worked well together. In this case I don't think either one alone would have helped this person much.

But I became a firm beleiver in reiki.

AKiddo77

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a Certified Level I Reiki Therapist. Most of you have covered what the general concept of reiki is, but I can honestly say...with all of my health problems that I have, sometimes reiki is the only therapy that will work for me. I have seen it work for some, not for others. But I do know that it helps me and that is more than enough to keep my interest.

I am going for my Level II with three Reiki Masters in my area this year and I cannot wait.

Yay reiki! :D