What is on the end of that line?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This Sturgeon was caught on the Black River at South Haven, Michigan last week. It weighed out at over 1,000 lbs And measured out at 11'1". It was 56" around the girth And took over 6 and a half hours And 4 dozen beers For the 4 guys Taking turns reeling.

Attachments

• $fish.jpg
    $fish.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 152

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holy bottom-feeders, Batman!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good heavens, that's a fish! I have to research this one a bit more because I have wanted to go for a Sturgeon when I move back to MI next summer. I was leaning toward Otsego county, but South Haven works for me as well. I wonder if they were fishing for Sturgeon or just a happy mistake they hooked the beasty. Glad they got a photo, that is impressive.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
WOW! That's some catch. 6.5 hours? What patience that took.

Michael, do you know any of those people, or did you pull it from a sporting article somewhere? I'm curious because I know a few people from South Haven and would like to forward the article link on. Thanks!

Scott, I think Otsego is about an hour or so from South Haven. The past few winters that area and South through Benton Harbor have been the big snow belt/blizzard zone.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like this went around back in 2006. Same photo but supossedly taken in Lake St, Clare. Turns out it is a white sturgeon that was caught in the Fraser River up in Canada in 2005. Damn, I wanted to try for one of these babys. I gues I have to go for the "little" 80-100 pounders up north. :) I'll still take that though.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scott, I think Otsego is about an hour or so from South Haven. The past few winters that area and South through Benton Harbor have been the big snow belt/blizzard zone.

Yeah the city of Otsego is around an hour away from South Haven. I was talking about Otsego county up in the Gaylord area. Otsego lake right on the outskirts of Gaylord has lake Sturgeon in it. There are a few other places as well. I know there have been a couple taken out of the Manistee River over the past couple of years, and I have seen one in the Pere Marquette (but that was a long time ago.)

As for the snow belt, sounds like a good place for it. They used to laugh whenever we got dumped on further North, now it will be our turn. :)

Forgot to add the link to my last post. Fraser river sturgeon: http://www.lenssportfishing-bc.com/sturgeon-fishing.htm

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
WOW! That's some catch. 6.5 hours? What patience that took.

Michael, do you know any of those people, or did you pull it from a sporting article somewhere? I'm curious because I know a few people from South Haven and would like to forward the article link on. Thanks!

This image was forwarded to me by a client in an email. No link was provided. He knows I am a fisherman. I do not know any of the folks.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
White sturgeon of this size are certainly not unprecedented. In fact, according to a Wikipedia entry about this species of fish, the white sturgeon is the largest freshwater fish in North America. The article notes that they can grow to 20 feet (6.2 m) in length and weigh over 1500 pounds (680 kg).
Holy Crap! Fish fillets should not be big enough to sleep on...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! That really is all I can say about that fish!

Now the real question is what preys on a fish of that size in the Great Lakes. That is what I want to know.
icon6.gif

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's amazing! It is a white sturgeon though. I've caught lake sturgeon on the Rainy River and in the St. Louis and those top out at about 100 lbs. There are no whites in the Great Lakes.

Latest Discussions