what is ninjutsu?

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do have the tapes of Hatsumi & seminars & Hayes & VanDunk.I do enjoy the way they are presented and detailed.I m wondering How many clans or solid lines exist?Ive seen some break of Hayes like Bussy & the SanFrancisco Group Has thier Grand master.How many authentic lines exist?I dont care of The off shoots just the lines like Iga ect.!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
matt.m said:
I am with HKPhooey. Somebody tell me about Ninjutsu. No more of this bickering back and forth.
There are 3 stickies in this forum that cover much of the "foundation" if you will. There is also a sticky in the Traditional Ninjutsu forum that covers what we accept as Traditional Japanese Ninjutsu.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Doe- moe Ill go back & read them>are we allowed to take of how a smoke ball is made & how I was shown to make a cannon from pop can?There are a few things I was shown but dont know if it falls into ninja line wepons or just a poor mans version to explote a young kid with things that look like But not authentic ninja ways.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
are we allowed to take of how a smoke ball is made & how I was shown to make a cannon from pop can?
As there were no pop cans during the Sengoku Jidai in Japan, that would be off-topic for this forum.
There are a few things I was shown but dont know if it falls into ninja line wepons or just a poor mans version to explote a young kid with things that look like But not authentic ninja ways.
Based on what you've said so far, I'd lean towards the second option.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No the teaching came from Joe Denson In Tx. I dont know of his lineage but at the time he called his school the Grand Dragon Martail Arts & gave me a 1st dan Dec 5-1989.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kreth said:
The question has been asked and answered many times. Search, young padawan.

So instead, we will go off on a completely different tangent and talk about whether or not there are ninjas in Korea.

:banghead:

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
There are 3 stickies in this forum that cover much of the "foundation" if you will. There is also a sticky in the Traditional Ninjutsu forum that covers what we accept as Traditional Japanese Ninjutsu.

Thanks for letting us know where to find the info.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
So instead, we will go off on a completely different tangent and talk about whether or not there are ninjas in Korea.

:banghead:
Personally, I liked the debate from many months back on the Russian-Atlantis connection for ninja skills. :)

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
M@d ninja skillz are SO secret, I have seen people die convusively just thinking about their origins!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
M@d ninja skillz are SO secret, I have seen people die convusively just thinking about their origins!
* quietly slips a banana into Egg's back pocket

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
What Is Ninjutsu?
Ninjutsu is a Japanese art, traditionally considered to have evolved in, and been centralized in the Iga region of Japan. The base principles of the art involve an understanding of body mechanics, stealth and nature. Practitioners were often employed by the nobility as scouts, bodyguards and assassins. Unlike the Hollywood portrayal however, traditional ninja did not wear special uniforms, wield a special straight "ninja sword", or vanish in hugh puffs of smoke. Currently, many families arts are now considered extinct, with the remaining lines now tracing to Dr. Maasake Hatsumi. Dr. Hatsumi (Bujinkan), Shoto Tanemura (Genbukan) and Fumio Manaka (Jinenkan) are the 3 acknowledged legitimate surviving lines (though both Tanemura and Manaka trace lineage back to Hatsumi, in part).

What is not representative of the Ninja and Ninjutsu?
The great majority of Hollywood films, the works of Ashida Kim, HaHa Lung and several other authors. Anything improperly spelled ninjitsu (note the second "i"). If the line does not trace back to the recognized line preservers, it may not be real ninjutsu. An indepth search on Google will often turn up a great amount of information on these other lines. Contrary to some beliefs, ninjutsu is strictly a Japanese art, with no ties to Korea, China, Russia or Atlantis.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
What Is Ninjutsu?

I prefer Dale's explanation myself:

". . . ninjutsu is not a 'martial art'. . . It is, however, a collection of historical martial (that is, military and related) skills.

Ninjutsu, as such, really refers to the primary specialties/functions of historic ninja groups: intelligence collection and the associated skills of infiltration, disguise, running agent networks, clandestine communications methods, and use of specialized gear. Fighting or close combat played little part in most of that, unless an agent somehow really 'screwed the pooch' and got caught under suspicious circumstances in some unauthorized place.

The Bujinkan training organization headed by Masaaki Hatsumi contains the teachings of nine old Japanese martial systems, three of which are specifically 'ninjutsu' systems and some others which were associated with ninjutsu as fighting systems used by these people. However, those particular traditional skills I mentioned above are for the most part not formally taught in the Bujinkan today, having been superceded by technological developments. Instead the 'ninja' focus in the Bujinkan is mainly on the fighting methods, which are still applicable.

In terms of combat methods, more of what is actually taught in the Bujinkan comes from systems used by members of the hereditary samurai class, though actually ninja were generally samurai, meaning. . ."

Edmund BlackAdder said:
Practitioners were often employed by the nobility as scouts, bodyguards and assassins.

Actually, it is my understanding that there is virtually nothing in the way of concrete historical evidence to indicate the Iga/Koga "ninja" were involved in assassinations. It seems to be a product of folklore and superstition, not history.

Laterz.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
No the teaching came from Joe Denson In Tx. I dont know of his lineage but at the time he called his school the Grand Dragon Martail Arts & gave me a 1st dan Dec 5-1989.

Did perhaps he have you fill out your certificate and sign it yourself like people have said about your certificates from Bruce Lee? :rolleyes:

And I am sure that you will not be able to give us a contact number for this guy due to some problem beyond your control. :rolleyes:

Have you ever taken lessons from Bruce Calkins?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
* quietly slips a banana into Egg's back pocket

* grins knowingly ... Kreth THOUGHT he put an authentic banana peel in Egg's pocket ... but the ancient Sulsa skills precluded his attempt and actually substituted a coded electronic banana peel passing along secret sulsa info to the Karate Egg man *

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
* grins knowingly ... Kreth THOUGHT he put an authentic banana peel in Egg's pocket ... but the ancient Sulsa skills precluded his attempt and actually substituted a coded electronic banana peel passing along secret sulsa info to the Karate Egg man *

Now, THAT'S m@d skillz!

Stealth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
T.Durden said:
What Is this style of fighting training? Can someone explain? this isnt like scorpion and sub zero from mortal kombat is it or not? I've never come across anyone in my life to say they actually trained in it so I'd like any and all information on what it is, the schools and all!

I usually train invisible and totally silent. But sometimes I like to practice my teleportation skills. We aren't much like Sub-Zero or Scorpion except for when I finish fights by tearing peoples heads off or shooting fire from my mouth.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
the art of ninjitsu or art of invisibility. more less known as shadowhand. It is far from mortal combat's worriors scropion or sub zero. It is an art established in ancient japan for the samurai that dishonored the code of Bushido. Naturally the ninjas trained to be silent to sneak upon their enemy, as the samurai would let his enemy defend himself first.HICH

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the art of ninjitsu or art of invisibility. more less known as shadowhand. It is far from mortal combat's worriors scropion or sub zero. It is an art established in ancient japan for the samurai that dishonored the code of Bushido. Naturally the ninjas trained to be silent to sneak upon their enemy, as the samurai would let his enemy defend himself first.HICH
In a word, no. In more words, while the "ninja as a down-trodden lower class" is nice romantic fantasy, it isn't true.

Latest Discussions