what is ninjutsu?

T.Durden

White Belt
Reaction score
What Is this style of fighting training? Can someone explain? this isnt like scorpion and sub zero from mortal kombat is it or not? I've never come across anyone in my life to say they actually trained in it so I'd like any and all information on what it is, the schools and all!

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a question for the Ninjas.You tell me the Koga line is no more.I honor your word of that .My question is ( I had a teacher for Sul Sa do & he claimed the gentlemans art was from Koga Korea & the line is Koga ninja.I did send clips of this line to Shesulsa as well as my main teacher Wong Joon Lee for Tdk-Hwarang-do & Sulsa.IS the Hwarang & Sulsa some form of ninja?If it is then is it Koga as they told me & tought me ( from Koga Korea)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
T.Durden said:
What Is this style of fighting training? Can someone explain? this isnt like scorpion and sub zero from mortal kombat is it or not? I've never come across anyone in my life to say they actually trained in it so I'd like any and all information on what it is, the schools and all!
The search button can be your friend.
monkey said:
I have a question for the Ninjas.You tell me the Koga line is no more.I honor your word of that .My question is ( I had a teacher for Sul Sa do & he claimed the gentlemans art was from Koga Korea & the line is Koga ninja.I did send clips of this line to Shesulsa as well as my main teacher Wong Joon Lee for Tdk-Hwarang-do & Sulsa.IS the Hwarang & Sulsa some form of ninja?If it is then is it Koga as they told me & tought me ( from Koga Korea)
I'll say this again, there is no Korean ninjutsu. There may be some superficial similarities, but by definition, there were no Korean ninja. The Koga tradition was named after the Koga region of Japan.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I understand the AKoga line in Japan is gone.There is a reigon in Korea called Koga & I did send footage so shesulsa of the Koga-Hwrang-Sulsa.I need to know on the Korean side Is this possable?Once again thanks for the info of Japanese line>Please do you have any info that may lead to the Koga line in Koga Korea !I know the Hwrang do is a stem of a ninja type-How about the Sulsa?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
Please do you have any info that may lead to the Koga line in Koga Korea
I don't know anything about arts originating in Koga, Korea. I do know that they would not be Japanese arts, and thus are off-topic for the Ninjutsu forums.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
monkey said:
I understand the AKoga line in Japan is gone.There is a reigon in Korea called Koga & I did send footage so shesulsa of the Koga-Hwrang-Sulsa.I need to know on the Korean side Is this possable?Once again thanks for the info of Japanese line>Please do you have any info that may lead to the Koga line in Koga Korea !I know the Hwrang do is a stem of a ninja type-How about the Sulsa?

The "sulsa" never existed. They're about as real as the "lin kuei".

The "hwarang" were more like Boy Scouts for the nobility, rather than being a group of warriors per se. No martial art existing today has a historical connection to these individuals.

Please see:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53897

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16482

Laterz.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hwarang do there is a great org. in Calif. under Dr.Joo Bang Lee.I take it you say this line is dead.In just asking not any other intent.I was tought a line &told things that seem to have so line but has holes.If you catch what I mean.The Sulsa was tought out of Colorado & has Hwrang line.In not talking Kooksul. They specified Hwarang.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
monkey said:
Hwarang do there is a great org. in Calif. under Dr.Joo Bang Lee.I take it you say this line is dead.In just asking not any other intent.I was tought a line &told things that seem to have so line but has holes.If you catch what I mean.The Sulsa was tought out of Colorado & has Hwrang line.In not talking Kooksul. They specified Hwarang.

Please review the links I just posted.

The "sulsa" never existed in Korean history.

The "hwarang" were something like youth training for male nobles. No martial arts connected to them survives to this day.

There is quite a lot of discussion about Joo Bang Lee in the second thread. I suggest reading through it in its entirety.

Laterz.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again - revisionist history is a classic trait of all asian empires. Japan occupied the peninsula, China occupied the peninsula ... did they bring their arts there or did they take arts from there?

I suppose when we all die and become one with the creator and realize all that ever was and all that is to ever be, we will all know for sure. Until then, it's all just arguments we based on the history we are willing to back.

Who cares, really, beyond the obvious care in honor, where it came from?

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Cool post.I agree -the after life tells all.Unless it turns out like Twilight zone & we keep looping till we all figure it out.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - revisionist history is a classic trait of all asian empires. Japan occupied the peninsula, China occupied the peninsula ...

... and everyone learned how to fight in the process.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
monkey said:
The accepted history is that the Koga line is extinct.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=537440&postcount=5
I cite numerous sources there.

As to "Korean" Ninjas: 1 word: Hogwash.
In any event, this is a JAPANESE Ninjutsu forum, discussion of so-called non-Japanese Ninjutsu belongs elsewhere. (And American Ninjitsu belongs on another board all together, maybe a Power Rangers Fan Site?)

If you are interested in Korean arts, you might try a Korean art forum.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
The Sulsa was tought out of Colorado & has Hwrang line.

Kind of doubt it. Given the fact that you are eager to drop names and such, the fact that you don't here causes me to think that maybe you really can't give a name of someone who will confirm that you trained with them.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone have any information on the actual style as T.Durden first asked? I am would love to hear more about the style , too.

Thanks

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Anyone have any information on the actual style as T.Durden first asked? I am would love to hear more about the style , too.

Thanks
The question has been asked and answered many times. Search, young padawan.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am with HKPhooey. Somebody tell me about Ninjutsu. No more of this bickering back and forth.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
matt.m said:
I am with HKPhooey. Somebody tell me about Ninjutsu. No more of this bickering back and forth.

Search Search Search! The Search button is your friend! There is alot of stuff on here, please don't make us repeat it. Search some of the stickies in the traditional ninjutsu page. Great place to start.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - revisionist history is a classic trait of all asian empires. Japan occupied the peninsula, China occupied the peninsula ... did they bring their arts there or did they take arts from there?

I suppose when we all die and become one with the creator and realize all that ever was and all that is to ever be, we will all know for sure. Until then, it's all just arguments we based on the history we are willing to back.

Or, shesula, we could be completely rational about the subject, evaluate all of the available "evidence", look at the sources of said "evidence", and then make an informed decision for ourselves. ;)

Regarding most of the modern Korean martial arts (Taekwondo, Hapkido, Hwarang-do, and so on), they are influenced heavily by Japanese martial arts, especially Shotokan Karate-do and Daito Ryu Aikijutsu. This most likely took place during the Japanese occupation of Korea.

Please read through the threads I linked for more details.

shesulsa said:
Who cares, really, beyond the obvious care in honor, where it came from?

Two reasons that I can see:

1) Some of us believe that the truth is a worthwhile endeavor in and of itself, regardless of any utilitarian value it might have to us.

2) It has a lot to do with personal integrity. Men like Frank Dux and Joo Bang Lee may indeed be awesome martial artists and incredible teachers, but they also seem to have lied extensively about their backgrounds, refuse to provide proof for any of their claims, and publicly attack those that criticize their claims.

Laterz.