What is Kenpo?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472

my reasoning is that I'm here to learn karate, not learn to speak korean (or japanese, or chinese, or whatever), and why make it that much harder...hard enough to learn to kick...harder still to learn to kick and count numbers in a foreign language at the same time...my brain isn't that good at multi-tasking.

If you're learning a style of that country, then learning the
terms used for techniques, stances, etc. would be a good
thing. That way you can still learn from the high high ranked
from other countries.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only problem I have with learning the language is when they use it to explain things to people that don't know the language.

Most don't have a clue what they are saying, so it goes in one ear and out the other. I'd like to learn Japanese or Korean, but I wouldn't use it to describe how to start a car to someone learning how to drive.

:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

If you're learning a style of that country, then learning the
terms used for techniques, stances, etc. would be a good
thing. That way you can still learn from the high high ranked
from other countries.

you may know what the kicks and stuff are called, but would you really speak japanese or whatever well enough to communicate with someone from another country who was trying to critique you in his or her native tongue? probably not. You may know what the move is called, but if they're trying to explain anything remotely complicated, you'd need to bring in an interpreter anyway.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472

you may know what the kicks and stuff are called, but would you really speak japanese or whatever well enough to communicate with someone from another country who was trying to critique you in his or her native tongue? probably not. You may know what the move is called, but if they're trying to explain anything remotely complicated, you'd need to bring in an interpreter anyway.

I agree ... I didn't mean strong instruction, but I meant working
out. Say going through basics or techniques en masse. I have
a friend who's a kendo student, and he worked out at the
imperial dojo with hundreds of japanese students. That'd be a
major thrill for me, if I were studying that style.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Kenpo should be different for each individual. We tailor it to the needs of the individual. Kenpo is the ability to respond to whatever the situation may be.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Bonehead

Kenpo should be different for each individual. We tailor it to the needs of the individual. Kenpo is the ability to respond to whatever the situation may be.

But do you agree to those in the Parker lineage putting the
"traditions" back in? Like the Tracy's being called "sifu" and
what not?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

There are some traditions that should be kept, bowing, salutation, respect, we have titles in American Kenpo for a reason, the Tracy's are doing to try and give themselves more legitimacy.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't call my instructor sensei or sifu. I would feel really weird doing so. If I address him, its Mr., and if I'm responding to him, its "yes, sir." Should a guest instructor come in to teach me something, I address him or her how they feel comfortable, and take my clues from what the other students call him or her. I've seen people go by "Sifu Joe" or whatever... I had to ask what a See-food was, and even after I found out that it was Sifu, not See-Food, I felt really weird using his first name after his title, because I'd had ten years of training telling me that was a major no-no.

I like bowing at the studio door, because it gives a little bit of formality to training. When I bow to the school, I'm saying "okay. I'm leaving all the problems and issues at the door. I'm here to train now. no distractions."

OP
T

tonbo

I think you essentially need to go with the conventions of both the school and the style you train in.

I trained in iaido for a couple of years with a western zen monk (non-asian). We always referred to him as "Sensei", mainly due to the tradition of the art, and also it's historical origin (Japanese).

My wife trains in Tai Chi, and refers to her instructor as "Sifu" sometimes, but is not bound to do so. When working one on one with him or discussing him in conversation with her peers, she refers to him as "Mr."; however, when on a more formal basis, she uses the "Sifu" title. He prefers the "Mr.", but is also very traditional.

At my school, we refer to all instructors as "Mr.", "Mrs.", or "Ms.", depending on their situation. We have never used "Sensei", and I think it would be fairly strange.

I don't see Kenpo as requiring any titles like "Sensei". I have seen the advanced titles ("Professor", etc.), and I think those can be used if the school chooses. Heck, ANY title CAN be used if the school chooses. However, if a school or head instructor chooses to use titles, it should make sense and pay homage to the lineage of the style. Why call an Okinawan style head instructor "Sifu" or "Guro"? Makes no sense, and is just plain goofy.

Different schools of Kenpo will have differing ideas on the whole title thing. The problem is, how far back do you choose to trace the lineage? Would you use "Sensei", since the Japanese lineage is more recent, or "Sifu", since the "original" origin goes back to the Shaolin Temple?

My two cents says keep it simple: "Mr.", "Mrs.", "Ms.". After all, if it is "American" Kenpo......well, you know....

Peace--

OP
R

Rainman

0000000 sandor where have be-en? :redeme:

sorry

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then we should be going by the example that the Founder of the System started. You can find the outline of the rules in Infinite Insights, Book I, chapters 9 & 10, pages 89-100.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmmmm....don't suppose you can enlighten those of us whose so--called-friends have borrowed said book and haven't given it back yet?

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

It will be nice when "American Kenpo" becomes the "Kleenex" of American Martial Arts.

Originally posted by tonbo

Yes, the "American Kenpo" style developed by Mr. Parker is indeed American, and does use science pretty effectively. However, I think that the name "Kenpo" was kept, in part, to pay homage to the style's roots.

Besides, you have to remember that, when Mr. Parker first brought out the style, people in America were just getting used to the martial arts *at all*. When he opened his first studio, Mr. Parker had to put a sign out that said "Judo" so that people would understand what was going on there. Only after "Karate" became a little better known was it widely used.

It should also be pointed out that "Karate" and "Kung Fu" have become quite generic terms in today's usage. Once upon a time, "Zipper" was an actual product name. Now, it is generic. Same with "Karate". Say you study "martial arts" to someone, and I will bet you they will either think "karate" or "kung fu" right off. To say you study "Kenpo karate" narrows things down a bit to those who know, and "Ed Parker's American Kenpo (karate)" narrows it even further. Now you know what style of karate AND what style of Kenpo.

I think it's just the way it should be. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Peace--

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by C.E.Jackson
It will be nice when "American Kenpo" becomes the "Kleenex" of American Martial Arts.

I think it already is really. After all the main thing is that people now are realizing that Kenpo is the SYSTEM in which the individuals can develop their individual STYLES of.

Many individual styles out there (noses) but really one System or one box of tissue (Kleenex)!

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo a multi-faceted art divided into forms,pre-arranged dance like manuevers, self defense and sparring. Which one of these facets interests you?....Dah, duh dah, duh dah...

Latest Discussions