What is going on with the Taekwondo world? ( UK-fiasco )

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with your statement but I am a little confused not about the politics but if I was reviewing the match supplied by this thread between him and Latilo at the open boring fight by the way Latilo seemed much larger and Cook was knocked down feel down constantly fixing his gear I would not have given him the fight but the computers must have? didn't finish I hate the hands down crap.

But based on if I was going to choose only on the basis of which could beat all other talent I would have favored the larger fellow?

Bottom line the suggestion of a match was simple but it seems rules are being followed and unlikely to be changed there seems to be a sense of fear by governing bodies to allow transparency worse yet actual control by its members??

Sport Taekwondo is scored on points, very much unlike kickboxing or MMA. This means damage is not an important consideration, connecting as many times as possible is. It makes sport matches look like that.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can qualify four you get four the USA has four.

This might be a dumb question but how does one qualify? I have a good idea of how selection by your country works but not qualification. Do you qualify with the WTF? IOC?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we'll contact him and see if he wants to come across to MMA.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sport Taekwondo is scored on points, very much unlike kickboxing or MMA. This means damage is not an important consideration, connecting as many times as possible is. It makes sport matches look like that.

Yes I know that and should remeber that in fact from a scoring point he may of had a few more flury of points but was clearly rocked by harder shots from his opponent I am from the old days of tkd sport always looking for the knock out or down still hard to believe they were same weight?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Lutalo is improving at a rate of knots and has potential which hasn't been
tapped," said Peters.
The above is from the article that Gorilla posted a link to. I really hate this quote everytime I hear it. I hear this alot. First off, everyone has untapped potential. Second, the rate of improvement by someone does not mean they will continue at that rate or get to a level of someone above them. White belts will improve at a faster rate than a brown belt does not mean much. As you get better at anything you slow down that improvement and the gains get slower and slower. This is in anything. Only stupid people use this way of thinking to compare things at different stages of development.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I know that and should remeber that in fact from a scoring point he may of had a few more flury of points but was clearly rocked by harder shots from his opponent I am from the old days of tkd sport always looking for the knock out or down still hard to believe they were same weight?

Lutalo is higher ranked at 87kg than he is at 80kg.

Taekwondo is judged on numbers not getting rocked, doesnt matter if he got hit hard as long as he stayed standing. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lutalo is higher ranked at 87kg than he is at 80kg.

Taekwondo is judged on numbers not getting rocked, doesnt matter if he got hit hard as long as he stayed standing. :)

He was on the news today, I haven't seen him before and didn't know of him until now but he was smirking, saying that Cook should get over it, there has to be a winner and a loser and he's won so Cook should shut up. Put me right off him tbh.

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This popped up on the Daily Mail today: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ol...12-Olympics-Aaron-Cook-demands-fight-off.html

"Cook said: 'I'm world No 1 I don't need to prove myself, but if a fight-off is my last hope of getting to the games I'll fight him any time, any place, anywhere." [ATC, looks like you were on to something]

I get it that this is sports TKD and there are reputations (i.e. money) to be made, but WTF -- not letting the guy compete...this whole fiasco is just sad.

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This popped up on the Daily Mail today: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ol...12-Olympics-Aaron-Cook-demands-fight-off.html

"Cook said: 'I'm world No 1 I don't need to prove myself, but if a fight-off is my last hope of getting to the games I'll fight him any time, any place, anywhere." [ATC, looks like you were on to something]

I get it that this is sports TKD and there are reputations (i.e. money) to be made, but WTF -- not letting the guy compete...this whole fiasco is just sad.

Yep, makes sense to me. But not in the Olympics as a prelim fight. That just puts both in the Olympics. Fight off now, before the Olympics as the selection process. Not sure how you have these two in the same weight catagory without a fight off.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They should have had a qualifying tournament in the first place! Selection panels are never the answer in a combat sport.

Let's have a fight!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It seems we can’t get rid of scandals in the taekwondo world.
I think it more accurate to say "....can't get rid of scandals in large organizations."

Each nations NGB is itself a large organization which feed into the WTF, an even larger organization. Each KKW school is also connected to the Kukkiwon, itself a large organization.

It is the nature of large organizations to have politics. It is the nature of politics to produce scandals. Some would say that this is a good argument against large organizations. Certain goals, however, are not achievable without a large organization, and Olympic inclusion is one of them. Same holds true for any sort of national or international level competition circuits.

Look at baseball, football (NFL), and basketball. There are several major scandals in each of those sports every year, sometimes in a month. Boxing has also had its share of fiasco and scandal. By comparison, I'd say that the taekwondo world is doing pretty good all things considered.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cook beat Lutalo 7-2 at the Dutch Open...controlled the fight with the cut kick. That is the most recent fight.

Lutalo is good fighter but not in Aarons class. Not nearly as versatile. Lutalo is very limited in his approach. He just does not have as many options.

He was clearly a political choice! GB TKD is getting a black eye on this one.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Somehow I predict that Aaron Cook and some Bulgarian weightlifter will suddenly be extended citizenship in Bahrain or Qatar.... ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow I predict that Aaron Cook and some Bulgarian weightlifter will suddenly be extended citizenship in Bahrain or Qatar.... ;)

I've often said on MMA theads that here in the UK we have no tradition of wrestling, lo and behold however we seemed to have acquired a world standard wrestling team for the Olympics! yes all Eastern Europeans, however for once someone has thought 'this isn't right' and stopped some of the Plastic Brits for competing.
In the Independent newpaper yesterday on the same page as the Cook story is one about an Olympic competitor holding his country to ransom before he competed, a sprinter who was aloowed in their Olympic team despite not getting the qualifying time at the expense of someone who did, neither British and a British cyclist David Millar who was banned for drugs cheating who is on the Olympic team shortlist. it makes you wonder really about the sporting integrity of the Olympics, well I suppose not, we do know that it's not about 'doing your best' anymore.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ol...ics-No-passports-plastic-Brits-wrestlers.html

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
In 2008 German player Helena Fromm was injured before the Qualification tournament, so Pinar Budak was elected to compete in the female -67 kg category (although her weight category usually was -59 kg) and she won the qualification tournament and therefore qualified for the Olympics. Well, she didn't qualify for the Olympics directly, but secured a quota place in the female -69 kg division for the German NOC.

Then after her recovery the German Taekwondon Union decided to send Helena Fromm to the Olympics.

Stuff like that happens probably everywhere around the world. Also this year the German Taekwondo Union didn't send Daniel Manz to the qualification tournament and those who were sent didn't qualify.

Anyway, I hope Lutalo wins a medal so that he can prove that he was the right selection.

In Judo btw, qualification for the Olympics is based upon the world ranking.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyway, I hope Lutalo wins a medal so that he can prove that he was the right selection.

I hope Aaron manages to get the decision reversed (via BT decision, BOA decision, WTF decision, High Court or CAS) and then gets a gold medal. I also hope that Lutalo continues to improve and eventually we get two great equal fighters competing for the spot (I have no grudge towards him, it's not his fault, I just think Aaron is better).

Latest Discussions