What is going on with the Taekwondo world? ( UK-fiasco )

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Easy solution is to have a double elimination fight off. If Cook wins he is in. If Lutlao wins he is in. Simple right!?!?!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Easy solution is to have a double elimination fight off. If Cook wins he is in. If Lutlao wins he is in. Simple right!?!?!
Very good point. My mates and I have been saying this for 2 weeks, it just seems so obvious.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think Bianca would be happy about that ;-)

Had no idea they were dating. Cook is lucky, lol, I'm a big fan of Bianca's.

Lutalo is number 59 in the world at -80kg (number 7 at -87kg)

I completely agree...

Muhammad doesn't deserve the flack he gets, but he isn't Aaron Cook. I wouldn't expect him to give up his spot, but it shouldn't be his. Not to take anything away from him, 19 years old and number 7 world wide is more than most ever accomplish, but Cook is just better.

I must admit, personally I'd go with Bianca. Although I think Sarah is better/has more experience, she's reasonably untested after her knee operation. If she'd have had time for a couple of tournaments beforehand maybe I'd change my mind, but I wouldn't risk it.

Bianca or Stevenson is arguable and debatable. I'm still in Sarah's camp personally but it's a good point that she's relatively untested, you could make a strong case for either. There isn't one for Lutalo IMO.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Great on paper but if I were Aaron or Lutalo, I'd want to avoid competing as much as possible right now

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great on paper but if I were Aaron or Lutalo, I'd want to avoid competing as much as possible right now
They have 50 days to recover. Not much to lose...well for one of them anyways.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got to see Aaron in person compete at the US Open this year. I was impressed. His speed is much faster in person than I thought. I use to think that he was not that good and he did not really impress me. But after I got to sit ring side and see him up close and live I left with a change of mind. He is very good and to not let him compete is criminal.

I watched that fight with him and Lutalo at the German Open, many times over and to me Lutalo got away with a great many leg checks. He had a few that they called but still got away with way to many. Lutalo also seemed to be very disrespectful at the start of the match when he was losing. Taking off his headgear and then not wanting to put it back on when he got called for Kungo. That match was just bad, bad, bad all around, to me that is.

Lutalo is much bigger than cook and maybe they think that his size will be an advantage in the Olympics. Cook is much faster. Watch the fight and see how much faster Cook is. Once Lutalo got up on Cook he just used the cut kick and his size to keep Cook out and from scoring. Not sure why Cook did not play more defense when he was up big on Lutalo, but sometimes you just choke it away for no reason at all. Cook was winning big and pretty easy until the leg checks slowed him down

Fight footage here
[yt]UNYiCMR1pUM[/yt]

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lutalo is much bigger than cook and maybe they think that his size will be an advantage in the Olympics. Cook is much faster. Watch the fight and see how much faster Cook is. Once Lutalo got up on Cook he just used the cut kick and his size to keep Cook out and from scoring. Not sure why Cook did not play more defense when he was up big on Lutalo, but sometimes you just choke it away for no reason at all. Cook was winning big and pretty easy until the leg checks slowed him down

At least he avenged it two weeks later.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They have 50 days to recover. Not much to lose...well for one of them anyways.

Absolutely, and it's unlikely, but freak injuries happen. Broken feet, knee injuries, broken hands, etc.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got to see Aaron in person compete at the US Open this year. I was impressed. His speed is much faster in person than I thought. I use to think that he was not that good and he did not really impress me. But after I got to sit ring side and see him up close and live I left with a change of mind. He is very good and to not let him compete is criminal.

I watched that fight with him and Lutalo at the German Open, many times over and to me Lutalo got away with a great many leg checks. He had a few that they called but still got away with way to many. Lutalo also seemed to be very disrespectful at the start of the match when he was losing. Taking off his headgear and then not wanting to put it back on when he got called for Kungo. That match was just bad, bad, bad all around, to me that is.

Has anyone else noticed Aaron plays with his pants a lot? Even in training videos he's constantly adjusting them.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
At least he avenged it two weeks later.
Yes he did. Like I said he is better fighter. He is more skilled and faster. Guess GB does not want any medals in TKD this coming Olympics. Lutalo won't even place. He is good don't get me wrong, just not medal good.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes he did. Like I said he is better fighter. He is more skilled and faster. Guess GB does not want any medals in TKD this coming Olympics. Lutalo won't even place. He is good don't get me wrong, just not medal good.

Nope and it's a shame, this isn't Lutalo's fault and the rest of the world wants to see him lose his shot.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope and it's a shame, this isn't Lutalo's fault and the rest of the world wants to see him lose his shot.

I suppose there's no room for both of them? that would solve the problem!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose there's no room for both of them? that would solve the problem!

Host country gets four athletes in four weight classes. The rest of the world gets three in three weight classes. Aaron is #1 at 80kg, Lutalo is #59 at 80kg and #7 at 87kg. I don't want to be critical to Lutalo but he doesn't deserve to be there, he's just not Olympic caliber like the rest are.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Host country gets four athletes in four weight classes. The rest of the world gets three in three weight classes. Aaron is #1 at 80kg, Lutalo is #59 at 80kg and #7 at 87kg. I don't want to be critical to Lutalo but he doesn't deserve to be there, he's just not Olympic caliber like the rest are.

Ah I see. Shame.

I don't think a 'fight off' will do it, there will be claims of biased judging, reffing etc by one side or another. Though I'm willing to host a fight off if they'll go in the cage with our refs and judges (we actually have TKD, MT and karate trained ones who can judge kicks and punches only)!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed Aaron plays with his pants a lot? Even in training videos he's constantly adjusting them.
Yeah, a lot of players do something like this. My son always pulls at his hogu for some reason. He will keep his right hand at the bottom of the hogu and after every so often he will tug at it. I have asked him many times why he does this but he does not even realize he does this. I am sure Aaron does not either. Just a reflex type thing I guess.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, did you have the same odd thoughts about Aaron playing with his pants in public as I did in that split second before remembering that to Americans pants aren't underwear!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy, did you have the same odd thoughts about Aaron playing with his pants in public as I did in that split second before remembering that to Americans pants aren't underwear!

No, I'd seen it was from Ethan before reading the comment so automatically translated it. Now you've pointed it out and I've re-read it I'm ROTFLMAO!! Funny as hell!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

If you can qualify four you get four the USA has four.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cook is out! This is why we have long ago gave up on the Olympics! Not really a viable option no matter how good you are!

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cook is out! This is why we have long ago gave up on the Olympics! Not really a viable option no matter how good you are!

I agree with your statement but I am a little confused not about the politics but if I was reviewing the match supplied by this thread between him and Latilo at the open boring fight by the way Latilo seemed much larger and Cook was knocked down feel down constantly fixing his gear I would not have given him the fight but the computers must have? didn't finish I hate the hands down crap.

But based on if I was going to choose only on the basis of which could beat all other talent I would have favored the larger fellow?

Bottom line the suggestion of a match was simple but it seems rules are being followed and unlikely to be changed there seems to be a sense of fear by governing bodies to allow transparency worse yet actual control by its members??