What is bong sau?

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can you define bong sau? What is it? How does it work? What are its' characteristics and what makes it different? What are its' weaknesses? What do you like or dislike about this technique?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
So you think it's a block then do you??

a-ha! sounds like your initial question was really just a setup and no real question at all. Please, enlighten us.

OP
fightingfat

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well spotted! I was trying to provoke a discussion :) So come on- what do you think about bong?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have always particularly disliked the unasked for Socratic method....

Lamont

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it is no new innovation to say that a block can be a strike, and a strike can be a block. Most arts recognize that.

In my experience bong sau is taught as a block, but I have heard of people using it aggressively to actually break an attacker's arm with it. My sifu's classmate did this to a guy.

On its base level, it is a block, but when understood more deeply, it can be a devastating strike.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
Can you define bong sau? What is it? How does it work? What are its' characteristics and what makes it different? What are its' weaknesses? What do you like or dislike about this technique?

Its a parry, although you often see it static, its purpose is not to stop and move into the next move. It works by using correct energy to feed other techniques of which there should be limitless variations - at least limitless to type out here. I can't think of a weakness itself in its idea and principle but maybe in certain ways of using or misusing the shape.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
I can't think of a weakness itself in its idea and principle but maybe in certain ways of using or misusing the shape.

One idea that comes to mind is that your ribs are open during the execution of the bong sau. Of course any time a technique is used, you will be open somewhere, so this is not unique to bong sau.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always used it as a block. I suppose you could use it as a strike against the elbow. I just might have to try it.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In its first instance it was taught to me as a block , but then later it becomes more of a fail safe, a sort of back up block, also the shooting out of it can be part of an arm bar/elbow break variation

many things.........yet nothing

also as part of a sticky hands exercise

:jedi1:

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
One idea that comes to mind is that your ribs are open during the execution of the bong sau. Of course any time a technique is used, you will be open somewhere, so this is not unique to bong sau.

Yeah but that would depend on how and when you use it, i mean if you use a right hand bong sau on the outside of a left punch you are exposed but the opponent has no way of exploiting that in that moment. And like you say you will be open somewhere but its a perfectly valid point if you do find yourself exposed like that and hence the teaching of moving to a better position when you find yourself like that.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A Bongsau is a passive move that works for controlling energy that comes toward you (opposite to Tansau). It is like most people already said used for continuing with fluid movement to regain the center position again.
The Bongsau we execute in our forms is different that it looks really fancy and nice. A real application Bongsau would be much more down and little elbow raising. It is by what we know as the "Wing Arms technique".

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
"Wing Arms technique".

So do you think if you get good enough at wing chun, when you bong sau you could fly?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
A real application Bongsau would be much more down and little elbow raising. It is by what we know as the "Wing Arms technique".
More of a yielding, block type of application if I read it how you posted your comments?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
A good point! As I recall working the Bong Sau, we used the opposite arm high or low to protect the face or the ribs as necessary.

I'd be interested to know how to use as a strike - I've never seen that but am always keen to learn...

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Forarm elbow block or wing block Bong sao. But its more of a defelting parry that can defelct and set up for a lop sao grabbing hand A trap or a counter move. Any movement be it strike or deflction you have a opening Its put of the game. how well you protect your openings is how well you see beyond 1 move. You can coiunter a bong with a lop and forarm press But you can also flow on beyond it with a yield of your strike But agin thats skill and training Bong is a deflecting parry type block common training in wing chun ,Jun Fan and different stages of JKD Blocks or parrys are used to not get hit or to be able to hit But not used to just do either As you hit evade hit agin Then only when need do you block or parry Just as trapping you trap to remove so you can hit never trap to just trap

OP
fightingfat

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would definitely agree with the definition of a parry. Also it is only strong as it goes forward, once this motion is complete, it is weak and collapses- would you agree?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
I would definitely agree with the definition of a parry. Also it is only strong as it goes forward, once this motion is complete, it is weak and collapses- would you agree?

I don't think that indicates weakness, like i said the bong sau never stops, it continues on into the next motion. Like once its taken something off the line and parried it you are right that it then colapses from being a bong sau but its actually showing its strength in its ability to become flexible and turn into something else. If you look at it in a different way the bong sau doesn't really collapse, the bong sau has done its job and when it no longer needs to be a bong sau then it collapses or changes to the next motion. If the bong sau collapses with an attack still on your line then something is wrong. Its just one way of looking at it but its like a punch - on the way to its target its a punch, when its done its job its no longer a punch and is in fact a retreating hand (unless of course you are reusing it at its distance travelled to that point). Same in case with the bong sau, theres a point when its just moving to its next shape and no longer needing to be a bong sau and fill that criteria of being one.

Latest Discussions