What is a good Martial Art for a Beginner to Learn?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever you have the most fun with and will stick with.

Are there ones that you might see faster results with? Sure, arts like boxing you'll get the fundamentals down relatively quick compared to other arts. But the best one for a beginner is the same as the best for an intermediate or advanced martial artist.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Please explain.
Perhaps some martial arts might indeed suit your physical skills or attributes better than others would.. Likewise, you might have preferences in your mind already? Or there might be certain arts that are available to you in your area? If you specify some of these things, people can know better how to advise :) In any case, welcome along and wishes to you :)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The best martial art for any beginner, in my experience, is the one that they like going to and practicing. As was explained to me many years ago by one of my senior instructors in Japan ... "The most difficult part of any martial art is going to the dojo regularly. If a person can master that single thing, everything else will be easily mastered over time." My advice is always the same ... look at what is available in your area, go and visit as many of the available dojo as possible. Ask lots of questions, talk to lots of students, try a couple of classes if possible. Then try out whichever dojo you happened to like the most. The actual martial art itself is actually less relevant than whether you like the dojo enough to go regularly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Isn't someone who is new to any art a beginner, by definition? That's literally the meaning of the word.

OP
WhisperingButterfly

WhisperingButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank You all so much for your kindness. I have always loved the martial arts. I think of myself as a student of martial philosophy. .I do possess a passion for history. However, it has become apparent to me that--in order to find truth in art--it ultimately must be revealed in a physical process; a process of communication that must exact reality between between two (or more) human beings. Are we all not a "reality" within ourselves? If so, it seems to ne that ww could easily be decieved. I am not interested in hurting people, only protecting myself and those whom I love. I am not interested in competition. I AM interested in your thoughts on the subject of Martial Arts. What do you think it means?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank You all so much for your kindness. I have always loved the martial arts. I think of myself as a student of martial philosophy. .I do possess a passion for history. However, it has become apparent to me that--in order to find truth in art--it ultimately must be revealed in a physical process; a process of communication that must exact reality between between two (or more) human beings. Are we all not a "reality" within ourselves? If so, it seems to ne that ww could easily be decieved. I am not interested in hurting people, only protecting myself and those whom I love. I am not interested in competition. I AM interested in your thoughts on the subject of Martial Arts. What do you think it means?
Like dancing, martial arts are a fun way to learn how to move for future combat, and avoidance of combat.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it would be your concern for not harming an opponent, there is no art more apt than Aikido :) yet finding a true Aikido sensei is not always so easy alas.. however any Aikido techniques from any school can facilitate this idea :) Good luck

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thought, because what handed down in my case is that in order to know not to hurt we must know how to hurt, so we can know when to stop, but still able to neutralise the threat.
Just like what the famous rikidozan applied to the journalist after being told fake.

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting thought, because what handed down in my case is that in order to know not to hurt we must know how to hurt, so we can know when to stop, but still able to neutralise the threat.
Just like what the famous rikidozan applied to the journalist after being told fake.

Unless you are certain you can take any and every necessary violent action, you cannot be certain any and every physical threat can be neutralised. To talk of neutralisation dictate and limit your own defensive actions.. to think instead of restoration of balance permit every party to leave intact..

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is coming with experience, that is why there is a saying about our art, the one who master the art able to diffuse threat without threatening the wellbeing of the target.
The key word here is mastering, which even the late grandmaster who had learned the art most of his life said himself unable to claim he mastered the art 100%.
In my pov, the thing is simply like how choke has been banned for cops, because of deaths. Now compare it to a bjj or catch wrestling practitioners, they surely know when to release roughly, because of experience.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my pov, the thing is simply like how choke has been banned for cops, because of deaths. Now compare it to a bjj or catch wrestling practitioners, they surely know when to release roughly, because of experience.

Yes that is true in training and fair-rules competition where the mindset is friendly and is unlikely that partners would intentionally seek to hurt the other.. To see the vitriol in the eyes of someone trying intentionally to harm you.. that is concomitant with a suspension of empathy and basic humanity in that person, any call to reason -whether through logic or physical 'neutralisation'- can be counter-productive and prolong the altercation.. Having the intent of restoring balance on the other hand, can occur primarily in a radical yet quick altering of mindset regardless of the level of mastery

Latest Discussions