What I like about Techniques in the Bujinkan

M

Mon Mon

Take the Kihon Happo i know the movements but the feeling is so hard to get. ;) Have any of you ever been REALLY Frustrated when no matter how many times you do a technique you just can't get it? I would like to hear some of your stories if you would be willing to share.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Timothy,

I think this is pretty normal for anyone studying budo. Even if you get to a point where a technique flows well...typically there's something being missed and over-looked....or there are pieces that you haven't come to understand yet.

Often-times, Hatsumi sensei will show a way of doing something...or a type of technique...concept, etc....he'll say, "Work on this for 3 years and you'll begin to understand." So think of this when you are shown maybe a different line of thought when working with Omote Gyaku. In three year's time, you'll begin to scratch the understanding...

OP
L

Lawman9

One thing I have learned about the Kihon Happo, you will never be perfect in it, so you have to accept that. Once you get to a level of understanding with a technique, you can add more to it. You can always improve your footwork, balance, efficiency of movement and posture.

You may do one technique a 1000 times before it clicks in your head and you understand what you trying to learn. There may be a second technique that you only have to do 100 times for it to "click". Just try not to get frustrated and practice the techniques with an open mind. Good luck.

Pervaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tim,

The Kihon Happo is one of the most difficult and probably most misunderstood "katas" to learn. Continue practicing the Kihon Happo - I think it was Takemsatu sensi who said that the Kihon Happo was the fundamental cornerstone of his training.

I also think the godai is another one of the cornerstones that people seem to underestimate or overlook. This will help you to get the "feeling" when working with the Happo.

I wouldnt really add any weapons into the Kihon Happo - move over to th Ten Chi for that.

P