What Happens In A Street Fight?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been trying to brush up on my application of my techniques, and there's something I've noticed in these fights that I've seen captured on camera: Anybody who knows a martial art, instantly forgets it under pressure.

Train harder?

I know that's a very broad statement, but I figured I needed something to get your attention. I've seen many Bujinkan trainees, I think at around 6th to 4th kyu, who instantly forgot what they learned once they began to swell in a fight. For example, I saw a student fighting a boxer, and the student took a boxing stance, so I imagined he was only doing it to fake out the opponent into think it was going to be a contest of strength (I myself employ this deception, although I'm not quite adept at the boxing stance, so I tend to take bobi). I was very excited to see some Bujinkan Taijutsu in action, but then the strangest thing happened:

The ninja became a boxer.

Add some boxing into your curriculum to back up the deception of assuming that posture just in case? Wouldn't it be more effective if you led someone on that you were a boxer, then switched to ninja mode?

I don't know exactly when or why, but he seemed to forget everything that he ever learned in ninjutsu and fell straight into just throwing strikes, many of which were ineffective (he fell into the UFC trap of being grabbed against the stomach, and then throwing multiple punches that are all virtually ineffective)

So this guy grappled with him? Body shots can get nasty, don't completely write them off. Did the boxer have his back?

So, here's my question, how does this happen, and how do I make sure I never fall into this rut?

Train really hard with people from a variety of styles and not worry about your style, stance, etc while in a fight. Learn your fundamentals and be comfortable in them. Fight and seize opportunity. Win. Repeat (if necessary).

Also, I haven't shut the door on the possibility that this guy simply said he was a Bujinkan student, while not really having any prior training.

Maybe you should spar with the boxer and see what needs to be done if you're going to stick to your style.

The guy who suggested "Felon Fights"... that's some crazy stuff, man. But it shows how far some people will go to win a fight, and usually it means the other person is left a bloody heap.

bonjopi

White Belt
Reaction score
you won't be able to fight until you get past the fear of death.
That is the door that unlocks the techniques.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yesterday a 20 year old I had arrested for stealing a folding knife refused to follow me back in and said that he was going to crack my skull open.

Boy, did he change his mind quickly when I drew my baton and flicked it open.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The guy who suggested "Felon Fights"... that's some crazy stuff, man. But it shows how far some people will go to win a fight, and usually it means the other person is left a bloody heap.[/quote]

Yeah, it is crazy. Last one I saw was a pro mma fighter taking on a street brawler. It wasn't pretty. The brawler was one tough mofo, but he just didn't have the skills to hang with the mma guy. At one point the mma guy started slamming the other guy's head into the concrete from a mount, then got off of him and said he didn't want to continue because he was afraid he was gonna kill the guy. He didn't, he finally submitted the guy by G&P, but it was kinda rough to watch...anyway, I refernced it because I have seen at least one example of a guy claiming to have MA training (black belt no less), but when it came to the fight he wasobviously either lying or instantly and completely forgot everything he learned. He ended up getting beat badly by a guy who said his style was "f*ing people up".

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I refernced it because I have seen at least one example of a guy claiming to have MA training (black belt no less), but when it came to the fight he wasobviously either lying or instantly and completely forgot everything he learned.

I would be willing to bet he DID have that black belt. Medium (at best) contact with nice padding against nice friendly opponents in a mall dojo doesn't really prepare you for facing someone who just really wants to **** your **** up. That's assuming he even had that much sparring! Some places don't spar at all or only do light contact.

Too bad he didn't come up with a friendlier venue first to try his real world skills out in.

Latest Discussions