What happened to my post count?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I lost the most went from third to sixth and lost over 9000 post, but I will return with a vengrence do not worry. I will be back.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So....here's the money question.

Leave them uncounted since they will eventually be dumped anyway OR count them, transitory though they may be?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Leave them uncounted since they will eventually be dumped anyway OR count them, transitory though they may be?

It doesn't much matter to me, but if they're going to be dumped anyway then yeah, don't count 'em.

Heh, there's actually some good martial arts talk buried deeeeeeeeeep in the The Last Person Thread!
Like with Chat, it'll be lost and gone forever.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Either count them permanently or dump them right away and for good, I say! No transitory as that is just a pain!
icon6.gif

OP
morph4me

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Either count them permanently or dump them right away and for good, I say! No transitory as that is just a pain!
icon6.gif

I agree, if they're going to be transitory it just leads to confusion, with post counts and rep power going up and down.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fine by me! Heh, if admin areas go too then I'll be the bottom poster instead of near the top!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

People who posted in TLP obviously lost many posts. Those have already been dumped. Rather than remove more posts from people, can you just set it so posts in non art areas, no longer count, without actually removing past posts made in the non art sections?

If we stop and think about it, if the focus of posting was diverted to the art sections, rather than the chat sections, not only would post counts eventually rise again, but the art sections will grow.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People who posted in TLP obviously lost many posts. Those have already been dumped. Rather than remove more posts from people, can you just set it so posts in non art areas, no longer count, without actually removing past posts made in the non art sections?

If we stop and think about it, if the focus of posting was diverted to the art sections, rather than the chat sections, not only would post counts eventually rise again, but the art sections will grow.

Absolutely agree. And if the post counts for some of us (including me) dwindle down to a very low number, that's a good incentive to have us talk about our art :D :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I can..... and it'll hold until the next time I need to have the site recount posts, at which time things will get weird. (as in lots of what happened and me trying to remember this thread, weird).

I'm trying different combinations of settings late at night, then resetting them back after I see the results.

Here's the basic fall out:
- Several high posters rarely post outside the non-art areas. Study/Locker Room & B&G are the big non-art areas.
- Staff (current and past) have alot in the staff areas.... Arni and I are especially heavy in those counts.

Right now, I'm leaning towards this decision:
- Advertisements - don't count - Prune these annually
- B&G - don't count - prune annually
- Events - don't count - prune annually
Count the the rest of the site.

I may reset things though, and put the decision off for a year, as there are some (good) changes coming soon that I'm focusing on more.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Look first off I'm not whining or anything asking simple question here. B and G does not count but the locker room and places like MT afterdark or the Politics will still count, but we what the MA section to start to grow again. How is this a fair decission? I beleive if we are trying to make this just a MA community than lets keep it all that way, I know it sounds like whining but I assure you it is not. I really do not care about it for me one way or another I post where I want and continue to start new threads and do what I can here.

But the LPT has some great converstation about MA and schools material just like the locker does, so can some of those post be pulled to start a little chat community for the main people in there and that way they an be contributed to MT in a positive way.

Thanks from the LPT

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look first off I'm not whining or anything asking simple question here. B and G does not count but the locker room and places like MT afterdark or the Politics will still count, but we what the MA section to start to grow again. How is this a fair decission? I beleive if we are trying to make this just a MA community than lets keep it all that way, I know it sounds like whining but I assure you it is not. I really do not care about it for me one way or another I post where I want and continue to start new threads and do what I can here.

But the LPT has some great converstation about MA and schools material just like the locker does, so can some of those post be pulled to start a little chat community for the main people in there and that way they an be contributed to MT in a positive way.

Thanks from the LPT

Perhaps Bob is the better one to comment on what will/will not count, but I'll toss in my .02. :) I take Bobs posts as a concern that the arts sections suffer. The arts sections are the bread and butter with the sub categories, ie: B&G, locker room, TLP, after dark, etc, as being the 'unofficial chat room' of the MT community. Now, even the study produces more in terms of substance than TLP.

I tend to think that when the subject of 'numbers' comes up, people take that as, "I'll just post like crazy!" but IMO, thats not what Bob is envisioning. If someone was going to join a forum, I'd think they'd look for activity. I'm a member on a few forums. There is one, that will remain nameless, as I'm good friends with the guy, that basically sucks and I rarely post there. Not much in the way of discussion and 9 times out of 10, the threads die after a few posts, because nobody wants to discuss the topic at hand. So, what motivation is there for someone who wants to talk about Kenpo, TKD, Ninjutsu, or whatever, if those areas are dead or barely breathing? Imagine how things would be if the energy thats put into TLP was put into the art sections?

I'm not saying that its not good to socialize, BS, and chat about non MA stuff, but should that be the primary goal of a Martial Arts discussion forum? Perhaps if chatting is what ranks higher on the list, we could think about reopening the chat room.

I know I've said this before, but IMO, it bears repeating. Despite how hard it is to accept this fact, it is really the meat that keeps this forum running, not the fluff. Now, a little fluff, as I said, isnt bad, but if the fluff out weighs the meat....again, I don't think that when Bob talks about numbers, that he's sending a 'silent message' that reads, "Go on a wild non productive posting spree in TLP!" Instead, I believe he's saying, "Go on a wild posting spree in Kenpo, TKD, CMA, JMA!" ;)

I've also said that the number of green pips, stars (when we had them :)) or my post count doesnt really matter to me. Now, before anyone takes my comment on the post count the wrong way, let me clarify. If someone has a high post count, but 95% of the posts are fluff, compared to an average post count, where 95% of the posts are something of worth, what means more? I know what means more to me. :)

Just my .02 for the day. :)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mike I completely agree, my point was then lets get rid of the locker room and the Bar and Grill, Study and MT after Dark and get back to Martial Arts. I know and I am only speaking for me and nobody else, I have started thread after thread in the TKD section and only get one or two responses, I will comtinue to post in the Martial Art section and also in the others as well and I really do not care about my post count( I know everybody thinks so but it more like a hame to me) if that makes sense. I hope I have not stepped out of bounds here with this and I will support this site like always because to me there is no better place than here.
Thanks Bob for all your hard work.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mike I completely agree, my point was then lets get rid of the locker room and the Bar and Grill, Study and MT after Dark and get back to Martial Arts. I know and I am only speaking for me and nobody else, I have started thread after thread in the TKD section and only get one or two responses, I will comtinue to post in the Martial Art section and also in the others as well and I really do not care about my post count( I know everybody thinks so but it more like a hame to me) if that makes sense. I hope I have not stepped out of bounds here with this and I will support this site like always because to me there is no better place than here.
Thanks Bob for all your hard work.
:asian:

When I go to the dojang, even our most serious student will chat and joke - even while doing his form. We all take breaks. Some classes are more relaxed than others. If I'm going to invest years of my life training with people, testing with people, throwing them, being thrown by them, trading injuries ... I want to know who they are, what makes them smile or cry or become fervent. Sometimes I'm going to spend more time with them as a friend than as a training partner. It's what makes these people my extended family; part of my life. Not everyone wants that - it isn't always good for the money ... but we don't to it for money. I'll have been here for four years in May and ... heh ... I don't do it for money (no offense, Bob).

Terry, you are a top thread-starter in an art-specific section. Not many people always reply but you do it anyway. Keep up the good work.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to come across a bit harsh here, but I just woke up so ain't seeing straiht quite yet.

If a moderator wants to comb through the 50,000+ posts in TLP thread to prune out the nuggests then, hey, go for it. I'm not. I don't read it and don't play in it. But if thee as been serious discussions in there, they should have been split off and allowed to nurture the rest of the site.

I've got people telling me we have too many forums now, so cut back.
I've got people telling me it's all organized wrong so move things around.
I've got people telling me "X" won't work so drop it. ("X" changes alot)

Balance is a part of the arts, and a part of what I believe in. I feel the site is moving away from the arts and more into a social chat and that's not my vision. There are plenty of sites where chat is all, and I've always seen this one as being more.

So, when I see that our top forum for December is the B&G (3,653 posts), #2 is The Study (1,582 posts) and then General Martial Arts Talk (1,475 posts) I get a bit concerned. In fact, of the Top 10 active sections, only 2 are art ones Tae-Kwon-Do (635) & Kenpo / Kempo - General (368)

I don't want to drop the social aspects of the site, but if it's going to remain a Martial Arts resource, then we need art posts. The B&G was initially opened up because people were chatting in serious threads and drifting them badly. It was to be a low-moderation, not serious place. The least serious spot on MT.

Maybe, it's time to revisit the whole idea. There's much in the B&G that would fit in the Locker Room (which was the original casual area). Maybe merging them and a seperate "game thread" section set up, with the idea that if something serious breaks out, it's split and put in the correct place. We need the social stuff though, and the games, and the toys. It's simple business...if we don't have cool fun things to keep people here longer, or coming back more, we die.

I dunno. It's too early in the day for me and I haven't had my tea yet. zzzzzzzzz

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob I believe you have always do the best possible Job one can do, I would never want to be in your shoes it is hard to please everyone so you have to please yourself. That was part of a song but I feel it fits here.

Like I said this is the Best Forum out there and I for one appreciate you and this wonderful place.
Thank you
Terry

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I've made this argument myself!

Reactions: MJS

Latest Discussions