What got you into martial arts?

D

Deleted member 34973

Really, it was a Saturday and they had just started showing the Kung Fu Saturday.

5 fingers of death was the first martial art movie I had ever seen. I was probably 9-10 at that time. I didn't actually start my training until about 14, in a system called Doshinkan.

Fell in love with it.

Although, I did receive some stick fighting from my dad growing up, it wasn't until years later, I figured out it was Escrima.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really, it was a Saturday and they had just started showing the Kung Fu Saturday.

5 fingers of death was the first martial art movie I had ever seen. I was probably 9-10 at that time. I didn't actually start my training until about 14, in a system called Doshinkan.

Fell in love with it.

Although, I did receive some stick fighting from my dad growing up, it wasn't until years later, I figured out it was Escrima.

Wow, there's a blast from the past. Five Fingers of Death. That was the first of the Kung Fu movies shown in American theatres, that was the one that started it all. We went to a theatre in Boston's Chinatown and saw it. I wrote a college paper on it the next day, got a B on it, too.

And the movie was so incredibly awful. Of course keeping with the movie numbers theme, we smoked five joints before going into the theatre - kind of made it seem like Gone With the Wind. Hey, it was 1973, I'm just glad we didn't go to see Around the World in Eighty days.