What good is sport martial arts?

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
A huge gap here exists between understanding the difference between theory-based training and preparing for specific, real-life situations. I have always taken the view that school are teaching a general template that provides a student with tools to adapt to real-life situations as they arise. This training has both limits and benefits. A good teacher will explain these and will reinforce to students that in real fighting there are no rules or limits. Survival is the goal. This approach is correctly assumes that every single eventuality cannot be foreseen. However, by instilling certain principles and conditioning the body, the person has tools to react effectively. Now, it is the person who must carry it off.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I disagree and I actually believe you to be in the minority when trying to use the terms martial artist and athlete as synonymous and interchangeable ones.

The fact that individuals can fit both categories does not mean that they are the same thing. Far from it.

I think everyone knows you have martial artist, and then you have martial artist who train to develop their athletic ability, those are called martial arts athletes. You see them everywhere. Geez I can even name a few: Floyd Mayweather, Randy Couture and Steven Lopez and many, many more that we don't know their names. They exist, surprise!

My travels for martial arts, around the USA and the world prove that it is the minority that tries to make a separation among martial arts practitioners. That is why I always recommend that martial art types get out and about more to find out what is going on in the big pond and not assuming it's the same as what is happening in the little pond :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My travels for martial arts, around the USA and the world prove that it is the minority that tries to make a separation among martial arts practitioners. That is why I always recommend that martial art types get out and about more to find out what is going on in the big pond and not assuming it's the same as what is happening in the little pond :)

Puunui says you have a background in TMA. I might likewise suggest you reacquaint yourself with it as the things you say stem entirely from the world of competitive MA you are experienced with.

<shrugs> If you're around Olympic stuff 24-7, I'd imagine everything would start looking like a sport...

And before we start down this dark path, there's nothing wrong with sports or athletic contests. My beef with your perspective is that you claim all martial arts are sports and therefore athletics. No way, no how.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question for Master Cole (or anyone really that would like to answer) pertaining to free sparring from a perspective of defense in a real world altercation;

When you have two students free sparring, they are punching, kicking, fake outs, feints, maintaining distance etc. Would this be correct? Is there anything else?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Puunui says you have a background in TMA. I might likewise suggest you reacquaint yourself with it as the things you say stem entirely from the world of competitive MA you are experienced with.

I am deeply involved with the oldest traditional martial arts, more than you can imagine.

<shrugs> If you're around Olympic stuff 24-7, I'd imagine everything would start looking like a sport...

I am also deeply involved with "Olympic stuff, more than you can imagine.

And before we start down this dark path, there's nothing wrong with sports or athletic contests. My beef with your perspective is that you claim all martial arts are sports and therefore athletics. No way, no how.

You say no way, no how? What about all this?

I am just passing on to you the point of view supported by the All Japan Aikido Federation and it's Doshu, take a look:

"The World Combat Games are a stage for the martial arts and combat sports.They showcase Olympic and non-Olympic martial arts and combat sports, among them Aikido, Boxing, Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Karate, Kendo, Kickboxing, Muaythai, Sambo, Sumo, Taekwondo, Wrestling, and Wushu. Featuring the best athletes of each sport, the Combat Games are a top-quality sporting event.

Maybe you should contact the Doshu and complain?

Also, the Goju-Kai in Japan disagrees with you. This if from their events schedule:

They also use the terms "athletes", "championships" and such...... :)

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/gojukai/english/index.html

July 29-30 Lecture for Oversea Instructors and athletes
29(9:00-17:00) - 30(13:00-16:00)

Also, TOURNAMENTS their Athletes will be attending:

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/goju-ryu/english/e_index.html

May 11 - 17th 5th Asian Pacific IKGA Championships Bangkok, Thailand
Aug 27 - 28th JKGA Championships Yoyogi stadium, Tokyo

Maybe you should write the Kancho and complain, here is his Hombu address:

Goju-kai Office
2-21-6-808 Higashiikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo, Japan
075-0082
TEL: +81-3-5951-1165

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a question for Master Cole (or anyone really that would like to answer) pertaining to free sparring from a perspective of defense in a real world altercation;

When you have two students free sparring, they are punching, kicking, fake outs, feints, maintaining distance etc. Would this be correct? Is there anything else?

Not exactly that way. Maintaining distance is not a good description, and a lot more needs to be added.

When fighting, my athletes (not students) are making hundreds of actionable judgments per second, and acting on issues of timing, distance, attack and defense, and, forcing the same issues against their opponent in such a forceful way that if that opponent makes the slightest error of judgement, or displays indecision, the attacker will punish them with multiple wanton, continuous and powerfully brutal bone jarring blows, using gross motor skills, attempting head or body knockout in order to shut down their decision making process and find them unable to defend against the attacks, and no longer able to initiate attacks.

I think that is it.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am deeply involved with the oldest traditional martial arts, more than you can imagine.

I am also deeply involved with "Olympic stuff, more than you can imagine.

I don't feed the need to compare length, but thank you for the opportunity.

You say no way, no how? What about all this?

I am just passing on to you the point of view supported by the All Japan Aikido Federation and it's Doshu, take a look:

"The World Combat Games are a stage for the martial arts and combat sports.They showcase Olympic and non-Olympic martial arts and combat sports, among them Aikido, Boxing, Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Karate, Kendo, Kickboxing, Muaythai, Sambo, Sumo, Taekwondo, Wrestling, and Wushu. Featuring the best athletes of each sport, the Combat Games are a top-quality sporting event.

Maybe you should contact the Doshu and complain?

You've already embarrassed yourself on the other thread by posting this. Either you missed my reply or you're still under the impression that what you've posted supports your case in any way. On the contrary. Here is the post link where I responded: http://martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1402464&postcount=190

A little education and reading will go a long way here.

Also, the Goju-Kai in Japan disagrees with you. This if from their events schedule:

They also use the terms "athletes", "championships" and such...... :)

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/gojukai/english/index.html

July 29-30 Lecture for Oversea Instructors and athletes
29(9:00-17:00) - 30(13:00-16:00)

Also, TOURNAMENTS their Athletes will be attending:

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/goju-ryu/english/e_index.html

May 11 - 17th 5th Asian Pacific IKGA Championships Bangkok, Thailand
Aug 27 - 28th JKGA Championships Yoyogi stadium, Tokyo

Maybe you should write the Kancho and complain, here is his Hombu address:

Goju-kai Office
2-21-6-808 Higashiikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo, Japan
075-0082
TEL: +81-3-5951-1165

You really are unaware of the nuances in Okinawan karate, aren't you? Not sure why you think a brief about Goju-kai competing in tournaments would be of any relevance here.

Stop already and stick to what you know.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

jks9199
Super Moderator

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yes, but as with Mastercole, I am going ot comment on distance. Students are taught to make use of distance.

I'd say that a better term than maintaining distance would be managing distance.

Daniel