What Gi is flexible

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Elle, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Elle

Elle White Belt

Hi,

I have been doing karate for about 1 year and only have 1 Gi. I am finding it to binding and the crutch to low. I have since altered the crutch but still find it binding on my knees and forever pulling it up to do movements, which is annoying and inhibiting. So I was wondering what Gi's are out there that you can purchase in Australia? And only that fits a female with an hour glass figure, thus have hips and booty...?

Thanks

2. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Capoeira pants.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jenna

Jenna Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Hello Elle, welcome aboard :)

Hey that must be a pain to train constantly adjusting your suit.. Do not know I can recommend purchases tho I wonder is your gi just a bad fit for you or is it too stiff from washing/drying? You know some time too much soap or not enough fabric softener leave it stiff and sandpapery.. Like blast of heat in your dryer might soften it up and not shrink it too much or if you have tried that maybe let it air dry outside and but not in the sun?? Maybe you already thought of that :D Wishes and good luck xo

4. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    If it feels stiff after a year, that's probably not the gi's fault. I use pretty heavy gi, and they soften up after just a couple of months (and I mostly teach, so they don't get as much workout as a student's gi). So, if it's a problem with it feeling stiff, look at how you're washing it. If you aren't drying it in a machine (some gi are not meant to be heated), try using the "air dry" or "fluff" setting (or whatever it's called in Australia). The tumbling softens it up a bit.

However, the hiking up before kicking doesn't sound like a stiffness issue. It sounds like a "fit" issue, and I find fit issues odd, because I (and the instructors I know) have always just used run-of-the-mill generic uniforms for all our students. We don't kick as much as you probably do, but I've never seen a student have to adjust their gi before kicking (though a different style of kick might change that). Some of the more expensive gi are more "fitted", which often translates to "fitted for a male body". So, maybe try a different brand of gi, even a relatively cheap one. For women with actual hips, you'll probably need to go a size bigger than a similar-sized man, so there's some room in the hips and chest for you.

5. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

There are many BJJ gi brands that are made specifically for women or have female sizing. Not sure if that's viable.

Regarding the softness/stiffness thing, try using white vinegar in your wash. It won't make your clothes smell like vinegar, but will help with the rinse. Also, try doing a second rinse.

Finally, if you don't live in a sunny place where you can line dry outside, you may want to consider machine drying your clothes. The sun is a natural disinfectant, but if you are air drying inside, you aren't killing any funk, which is why stink can persist.

Also, to help with the softening, I really like these little guys: Amazon.com: Kikkerland Hedgehog Dryer Balls, Reusable, White, Set of 2: Home & Kitchen
    They're dryer hedgehogs. You can find similar products that are just balls or fish, but the hedgehogs are cute. You just put those in the dryer and they help keep the fabric loose. Also, fabric softener works, but I understand if you don't want to use it often.

For occasional use, I love this stuff: Milsoft It's like superpowered fabric softener. I use it in the final wash after I dye or batik clothes, which can take a beating from the dying or batik process. Makes them wearable again. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. KenpoBoxer

KenpoBoxer Yellow Belt

Just buy one that's a bigger size

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ironbear24

Ironbear24 Master of Arts

Your muscles probably just got larger and you need bigger pants.

8. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

9. Starflyr3

Starflyr3 White Belt

This is probably sacrilege, but after discussion with my instructors, I wear loose fitting yoga pants with a v neck gi top. Im short and wide and if I get gi pants that fit my hips/rear, the waist is huge and the legs are longer than I am tall, and the crotch is either WAY too short or somewhere around my ankles. Im probably going to have to get some custom made, as once we reach candidate belt, we are to be in full gi all the time. Not looking forward to that expense, but oh well!

10. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    From the wide range of outcomes you've listed, I'm wondering if you've been shopping at "Clowns R Us" for your gi bottoms. :D

11. Starflyr3

Starflyr3 White Belt

Heh. I am guessing from your avatar and name that you're male. Try tying a firm foam pillow to your abdomen (thanks kids!) and another to your rear, and then see how well gi pants fit. it's pretty awful for those of us who trend towards "fluffy", with most of the fluff in the lower belly and rear/hips. No matter how much I work out and eat right, it is there to stay.

I'd post pictures, but I dont want blackmail bait out there :eek:

12. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I was more referring to the fact that the bottoms were either too close in the crotch or way too low. I was trying to picture the options. You'd open one, and it would have a really high crotch (the "tall clown" option). You open the next, and the crotch is so low, there are barely any legs (the "short clown" option). NOTE: You'll find we make fun of many of our problems around this forum, even as we discuss them seriously.

Finding a proper fit can be a problem for some body types. Most gi's are built around the male body, so the problems are more common for the women. There are a few companies that have gi's built for women, but they can be expensive. The yoga pants solution seems genius if it fixes the problem. My wife hasn't had the problem you have, though she's also struggling with the fluffiness (nobody tell her I said that publicly!), in spite of exercising far more than I do. I think it's a matter of both luck (happening to get a gi that fits, when the legs are hemmed), and the wide variety of body types among women (especially hip types).

• Like Like x 1