What fiction book are you currently reading?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only briefly. The problem with them for me is that I do most of my reading in bed and with my glasses off. As my reading distance is about three inches without my specs, a proper book I can literally bury my nose in (especially if I fall asleep) is much better.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only briefly. The problem with them for me is that I do most of my reading in bed and with my glasses off. As my reading distance is about three inches without my specs, a proper book I can literally bury my nose in (especially if I fall asleep) is much better.

I've been using a netbook for reading in bed. It's been no big deal to just close the lid and set the computer on my nightstand before I fall asleep for good. I still prefer reading physical magazines since the content has lots of pictures and graphics, but reading fiction on a little device isn't so bad and the advantages are obvious.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
E-readers do generally let you resize the text, y'know? ;) :D

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me restate - I prefer real books. No need to try and persuade me otherwise, gentlemen.

I even prefer to still work with hardcopy schedules and schematics, it makes it much easier to actually see and resolve the problem when you're not stuck looking at 'postage stamp' snippets of circuits - whatever the conveniences of computers they are still not better for actually getting the job done in some circumstances, even in what I do for a living.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: I can still handle the macroscopic world well enough without my specs (it took quite a few years for people to realise I couldn't 'see' worth a damn (measles ravaged my eyes when I was three) so my brain learned to interpret things on limited data). But I'm not kidding about my focussing range - which is being complicated by the fact that I'm at the age now where hardening of lenses is really messing things up. There's a reason my glasses cost £650 :lol:.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Spellbound by Larry Corriea, way cheaper on Baen and only available in ebook form there.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz, because I've read all his other books and kinda feel I have to read it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
An Eye of the Fleet by Richard Woodman which is providing a very good addition to naval fiction associated with the Napoleonic wars. Not as swashbuckling as Hornblower and not as indepth as the Aubrey/Maturin books, but very good.

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White for my son. I remember reading this book as a kid, but in rereading it, wow, what a fantastic book. I am having a hard time only reading one chapter a night. :D

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Storm from the Shadows" by David Webber. A good opener for a new 'arc' in the Honor Harrington universe with Michelle Henke as the central character rather than the now far too senior Harrington.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A Desert Called Peace by Tom Kratman or, as the subtitle should have been: Jihadis in Space

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
5th attempt to finish 'Making Money'

No, don't ask, long sordid tale....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Three Musketeers, Alexandre Dumas.

Gotta hit classics now & then.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Scarecrow Returns by Matthew Reilly
The first book of his I read included the sentence: Matthew Reilly is Australian, for which he apologizes. How could I resist?