What fiction book are you currently reading?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now reading Jim Butcher's Cursor's Fury. I like this series better than the Dresden Files.
Magic wielding not-quite Roman empire.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Finished "The Detachment" by Barry Eisler, good but not up the the early Rain series, but better than the two Treven books.
Still plugging through Connie Willis' "the Doomsday Book" which I've been having trouble getting into because a stupid mental hitch in a "sci-fi" book that I can't get my head around. The book was set in 2050 or so and it was published in 1993, so perhaps this is forgivable, but in London of 2050 nobody has a cell phone or whatever the advanced equivalent is, they have fairly regular time travel but they can't get ahold of someone on vacation without their secretary getting them near a landline? Weird, and a hole I apparently can't forgive. :D

Just finished reading "The Magician's Nephew" to my son and now onto "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," which in retrospect is a fantastic title.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rereading Simon R Green's Deathstalker series. On book 2 Deathstalker Rebellion. Kill Alex Cross by Patterson is on deck

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interrupted the series to read Kill Alex Cross, I kinda hope he does die. Patterson, oy, this book will take me about 3 hours to read, it is entertaining, but, damn it, Jim, a chapter longer than 3 pages won't kill us.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Vigilante by Stephen J Cannell (creator of the Rockford Files, Silk Stalkings, etc) most likely his last book, since he died in 2010.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michael Connelly's The Drop. Apparently, no one else is reading fiction anymore.

HammockRider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm reading Young Men in Spats by PG Wodehouse. it's my first Wodehouse and it's pretty funny if you're in the exact right mood for it.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Wow. A protagonist who is a murderer, rapist, and probably a future parricide as well.

Not for the faint.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Finished Locked On. The title had nothing to do with the story IMHO. The story was better than the last Clancy.
Now, I'm back to Deathstalker War.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the first 3 books in that series. The more recent movement into actual fantasy within the later books by Stirling bothers me a bit.

Me too, I would have enjoyed a closer science based story myself, I thought the first three were very good and the most enjoyable.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently taking a detour into "The Shadow of Saganami" by David Webber. As usual, Mr. Webber got me with tears in my eyes in very short order with his tale of bravery and sacrifice :eek:.

I am still battling on with the latest Wheel of Time epic - it's not that it is bad, for it is not, but it is very long - so I needed a break into something that fed my soul rather than my mind :D.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went looking for Spellbound by Larry Corriea for Kindle. Amazon doesn't have it. Corriea sells his books in various electronic formats on Baen's website, for substantially less than Amazon sells most Kindle titles, especially those still in hard back.
Sukerkin, Dave Weber is on there too...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, the Baen site is one of the very best for those of us interested in sci-fi, fantasy and military fiction that involves elements of both. For myself, I am not yet convinced by electronic media for reading - I much prefer to have my nose buried in a real book. But my house already has one room devoted to being a library and it is now full, so it might be a case of 'needs must' in the not too distant future.

Latest Discussions