What fiction book are you currently reading?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aye, the Baen Books on-line resource is wonderful indeed I do agree.

I keep meaning to get the 16** series that Flint has done. I've read 1632 and, I think, the follow up and really enjoyed them - so it is only right that the author gets some recompense :nods:. Mind you, Flint stole my idea! Except that mine was a British Army unit on manoeuvres that slipped through the crack in space-time and ended back in Medieval times - the opening chapter had a squadron of M113's appearing in the middle of a cavalry battle :D.
I really like the 1632 series, I've read all the books and most of the Grantville Gazettes.
You have a copy of yours? I'd love to read it. Don't hold back on us.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to confess that it never got beyond a plotline and a couple of disconnected chapters, written to get a 'feel' for the story. I'd still love to resurrect it mind you as the ideas in it really appealed to me, particularly the 'political' aspects, with the unit bluffing its way with the nobles in the region when they began to run out of fuel, ammunition and batteries.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to confess that it never got beyond a plotline and a couple of disconnected chapters, written to get a 'feel' for the story. I'd still love to resurrect it mind you as the ideas in it really appealed to me, particularly the 'political' aspects, with the unit bluffing its way with the nobles in the region when they began to run out of fuel, ammunition and batteries.
You should finish it. In the mean time, you should send me what you've got.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: This is handwritten scraps of paper from about thirty years ago, assuming I can find them :D.

Have a read of my BattleTech stuff that I posted up here at MT tho' to get a glimpse into my writing style. My own critique is that I am good at description but awful at dialogue :eek:.

EDIT: here's a link to make finding it easier http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?96304-Creative-Writing

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh. Dialogue is a pain. I'll have to check that out after class tonight.
Thanks.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Falcon 7 by James Huston
It is about 2 naval aviators shot down over Pakistan and shanghaied to the ICC, and Obama is the president in the book.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just finished "Mission of Honor" last night. A very good read but I have a message for Mr. David Weber ... STOP killing my heroes!

This time he took a character whose iron devotion to his duty was an inspiration. I wish that I could be half as disciplined as he was.

Yes, I know it's 'only' a fictional character but the emotions and responses that stories elicit are non-the-less real because of that.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished "Mission of Honor" last night. A very good read but I have a message for Mr. David Weber ... STOP killing my heroes!

This time he took a character whose iron devotion to his duty was an inspiration. I wish that I could be half as disciplined as he was.

Yes, I know it's 'only' a fictional character but the emotions and responses that stories elicit are non-the-less real because of that.
In one of the Star Wars novels, Lucas let the author kill Chewbacca. :( I wonder how much extra Lucas got out of that.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am about halfway through The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind. After last year's The Law of Nines it is nice to have Richard and Kahlan back.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
besides 'Atlas shrugged' do any of you guys ever read a female author?
I've read a few. The only one I can name off the top of my head is Catherine Asaro, who I emailed, and received a (Non-automated) reply in less than 20 minutes.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
besides 'Atlas shrugged' do any of you guys ever read a female author?

Several, Gran. Why do you ask?

Julian May is one of my favourites - she wrote the Saga of Exiles series, which I love. Indeed, I loved it so much that it (and it's related books about the Meta-psychic Rebellion) inspired certain aspects of my RPG campaign that I used to run :D.

Anne McCaffrey too of course. Not so much for her iconic Pern series but for the "Crystal Singer" books.

Katherine Kerr, particularly the Westlands books.

Ursula Le Guin for the splendid Earthsea trilogy (plus one :D).

Tanith Lee I have read some by but her style never really grabbed me. The same with the improbably named Storm Constantine (tho' she is probably one of the best looking fantasy writers out there :D).

Mary Gentle, the wonderful "Ash" (I very much recommend this).

Katherine Kurtz; her Deryni series' formed another backbone for my RPG campaign.

I'm sure that there are many others but those are the ones that occur to me as I sit here :).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ursula Leguin. C.J. Cherryh. Esther Friesner. Mary Shelly. And more that I can't think of at the moment.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently reading Towers of Midnight, book 13 of the Wheel of Time! I recall predicting long, long ago that there would be 7 books, one for each Seal :lol:.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Several, Gran. Why do you ask?

Julian May is one of my favourites - she wrote the Saga of Exiles series, which I love. Indeed, I loved it so much that it (and it's related books about the Meta-psychic Rebellion) inspired certain aspects of my RPG campaign that I used to run :D.

Anne McCaffrey too of course. Not so much for her iconic Pern series but for the "Crystal Singer" books.

Katherine Kerr, particularly the Westlands books.

Ursula Le Guin for the splendid Earthsea trilogy (plus one :D).

Tanith Lee I have read some by but her style never really grabbed me. The same with the improbably named Storm Constantine (tho' she is probably one of the best looking fantasy writers out there :D).

Mary Gentle, the wonderful "Ash" (I very much recommend this).

Katherine Kurtz; her Deryni series' formed another backbone for my RPG campaign.

I'm sure that there are many others but those are the ones that occur to me as I sit here :).

seemed like the last 100 books listed were written by guys. ^_^

Latest Discussions