What fiction book are you currently reading?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I finished Dance of Dragons, and I'm pretty happy with it, things are starting to move and shake and Martin keeps his up his trend of creating "I didn't see that coming" events. And as of now I like the "Reek" arc in this book.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. Enjoying the series so far but its a bit more violent than I was expecting. Looking forward to reading the final book if the trilogy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've watched the first two movies on Netflix. They are notably tamer than the books.

I'm going to wait a bit before reading the third.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just not a fan of that kind of violence. I don't mind violence but the sadistic violence against a helpless victim...not interesting to me. I probably won't watch the other two movies or the remakes. I think the same thing about the Hostel movies and some of the newer sci fi/horror films like the hills have eyes, the remake of the texas chainsaw massacre ( I tried watching the original back in the 80's, before gore was really common, and I had to turn it off), violence against the helpless as a premise of a book or movie is not for me. Are the books any good beside that.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are. He is a decent storyteller. Bloomkvist is just as flat in he books, but he weaves a good sense of cameraderie win the Millennium team and intrigue over Harriet. Its enough to make me want to finish the series.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just starting, meaning I'll be done long before noon tomorrow, Now You See Her, James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge.
The new Star Wars book (Fate of the Jedi: Ascension) and the new W.E.B. Griffin (Victory and Honor) ship tomorrow. Can't wait for the new Vince Flynn in November.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan/The Excecutioner - Renegade ForcePicked this up in a used book store yesterday, got a whole bunch of stuff in fact. They didn't have bags though so my haul was limiyted to what I could carry in my hands.The basic story is separate cells of highly trained cops all over the US are going out and killing criminals that the courtgs could not convict for whatever reason. Bolan is sent in to figure out the deal, but he has to break his vow of never killing lawmen. Its pretty good so far, the quality on a series with a revolving door of authors can be tricky (I do have favorite writers within the series) but so far this is pretty brutal.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Read the new Star Wars Fate of the Jedi: Ascension. Now reading Victory and Honor by W.E.B. Griffin and his son.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
David Morrell - First Blood

One forgets how good a books it is because the movies are just so damn amazing. Rambo's internal dialog is great. People's prejudices against the straggly looking long haired guy in torn jeans always hits home with me because I get those same looks sometimes. In fact over the years when there have been the occasions when people ask about the long hair or beard (when I do have one) I usually use one of Rambo's smart answers.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just finished "At All Costs" by David Weber.

Had to take a break after page 844 to gather myself ... I tend to get very heavily invested emotionally when I'm reading and this was very much a "Last Samurai" moment. By that I mean that the final charge in that film always moves me to tears, no matter how often I see it; one paragraph on that noted page had the same effect :eek:.

It wasn't made any less emotive by the fact I knew it was coming (having been delayed in reading this book so long that the author himself 'spoiled' it) or by the fact that the battle was so huge that even Weber wasn't quite able to keep that level of 'being there' that he normally manages.

So ... I lost a hero tonight, just as I did back in "In Enemy Hands" when Jamie Candless chose to stay and hold a position, knowing he would die :(.

It's a very good book, trying as it is to wind together some very long threads from the previous ten volumes and open up new ones to carry the story forward. To get an emotional engagement out of such a monumental interstellar conflict is an achievement :bows:.

See?! Sometimes the 'stiff upper lip' does quiver ... just a little :lol:.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm rereading both 1632 by Eric Flint, online, baen books has a free library, and W.E.B. Griffin's The Hunters, which I took a hiatus from to read the new Star Wars novel and Griffin's new one. Griffin looks OLD, he needs to live longer and write faster.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, Suk, Drake has a few on there :p

Just starting to reread the Hobbit because it's been 10 years or so.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, the Baen Books on-line resource is wonderful indeed I do agree.

I keep meaning to get the 16** series that Flint has done. I've read 1632 and, I think, the follow up and really enjoyed them - so it is only right that the author gets some recompense :nods:. Mind you, Flint stole my idea! Except that mine was a British Army unit on manoeuvres that slipped through the crack in space-time and ended back in Medieval times - the opening chapter had a squadron of M113's appearing in the middle of a cavalry battle :D.

Latest Discussions