What fiction book are you currently reading?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished up Gordon R. Dickson's Tactics of Mistake. A little light, but not a bad read.
Tactics of Mistake is just a beginning point... Have you read Dorsai! or any of the rest of the series? Dickson was working a really interesting idea out through (I think) something like 12 planned novels, plus some ancillary books and stories, like Man of War.

I'm a big fan of Dickson; his death really saddened me because he left some things unfinished!

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Star Wars Legacy of the Force: Inferno by Troy Denning

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've just read the first book, "Christ the lord, out of Egypt" and am now starting "Christ the lord, The road to Cana" by Anne Rice. That first book was a little slow moving, but tastefull. No big revelations, just a story, written in first person. I was ok with it.
Sean

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just finished Star Wars Legacy of the Force: Inferno by Troy Denning and I am now reading the Chaos Curse by R. A. Salvatore for the second time.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Altered Carbon" by Richard Morgan. It's sort of a film noire Gumshoe novel in a Sci-Fi setting. It puts you in mind of "Blade Runner" in terms of tone mixed in with some of the classic 'Gumshoe' movies like "Chinatown".

Oddly about the only thing I don't like about it (and I'm showing my middle-age now :eek:) is that there is too much sex in it. It's not unnecessary to the plot per se and it does carry character relationships along but I don't need it to be so explicit.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am reading Hominids, by Robert Sawyer, the first in a trilogy about the crossover between our world and an alternate world in which Neanderthals are the dominant human species - a very interesting take on how their culture might be different if they had dominated and developed technology similar to our own.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Two Swords By R.A. Salvatore
This is the third book in the Hunter’s Blade Trilogy

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am reading Hominids, by Robert Sawyer, the first in a trilogy about the crossover between our world and an alternate world in which Neanderthals are the dominant human species - a very interesting take on how their culture might be different if they had dominated and developed technology similar to our own.
It's a very interesting series... and raises some interesting questions about prejudice and beliefs.

That's one of the things science fiction is great at; shining a light obliquely enough on us that we can recognize it -- without being driven away.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm reading the "Tales of the Otori" series. I just finished "Across the Nightingale Floor" for the second time, and I just started Book 2, "Grass for his Pillow."

Tales of the Otori is a series of fantasy novels by Lian Hearn, set in a fictional world based on feudal Japan. The series initially consisted of a trilogy: Across the Nightingale Floor (2002), Grass for His Pillow (2003), and Brilliance of the Moon (2004). It was followed in 2006 by a sequel, The Harsh Cry of the Heron, and in 2007 by a prequel, Heaven's Net is Wide.
The books follow a young warrior named Takeo in his struggles to avenge an adoptive father, escape the legacy of his biological father, and pursue the love of his life in the midst of an enormous power struggle involving dozens of clan lords and thousands of warriors.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury. It was quite confusing right off the bat until I read a wiki about it, describing Faulkner's use of "stream of consciousness" and time shifts. Well, it's still confusing, but I have a better idea of what is going on.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just started reading Stormblade by Nancy Varian Berberick. It is volume two of the DragonLance H*E*R*O*E*S group of books.

Yes I tend to read SciFi and Fantasy

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Tales of the Otori" sounds very interesting, Cryo, I shall have to look out for them.

Also, thanks to shadow for reminding me that I never got around to completeing my collection of D&D based books. Another oversight I shall have to amend :D.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im currently on book VII of the StarFist series. A Sci-fi military series about Marines fighting wars on various planets. Its Co-authored by a Retired Marine and a retired Army Sgt Major, so despite the sci-fi elements its an equally good military adventure series.

They're a quick read, I can get thru a novel in about 2 days of casual reading.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am re-reading the Dark Elf Trilogy in Forgotten Realms fantasy setting. One of my favorite trilogies! I have probably read it at least a dozen times and still enjoy it to this day.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My fiancee just picked up Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, since we're both Dragonlance fans. It's the first of trilogy that's supposed to fill in the gaps between the books of the original Chronicles. What would you call that, an intraquel? :idunno:

Latest Discussions