What excercise do you recommend for everyday workout?

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with john here, The best way to become a better martial artist is to get better with the art your comitted to.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to agree with both Johns here. Day-to-day, I stretch and I try to do my basic strikes and blocks, some with light weights. I intersperse push-ups with these. Alternate days, I do some weights on my legs and pound on the heavy bag until it starts hitting back. I also do 3-5 repetitions of my kata, as well.

I don't get to do this every day, only days with no karate class and never on a Sunday.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I definitely believe that nothing will advance one in The Art as much as practicing it. However, the body responds to variety and conditioning.

2-3 days of light weight training enhances the metabolic rate and builds stronger, more efficient muscles with which to practice. Daily cardio training can likewise be effective.

Although I like running long distances, I don't think that extended cardiovascular endurance is as useful in a fight as muscular endurance and efficiency. Because fights are anaerobic, anaerobic activity can help prepare the body for that as well.

For that reason, such exercises as sprints tend to be more helpful to a martial artists than marathons. The best results are obtained when the body is introduced to a variety of useful exercises, with martial arts practice as the core. The variety also prevents one from losing motivation.

T

TheBattousai

Having atleast a set minimum workout would be good, that way if you are crapped for time, you can do that workout. Something simple with a mixed set of things to workout your body from your head to your toes. And stretching is highly recommended everyday too, especially after a hard and heavy workout.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, If someone ask you " What is the best exercise for everyday workout for the martial arts? What would you choose for them

Example: running,jogging,walking 1/2 to 1 hour.
jump rope 5 min
push-ups 100 and or a combinations
sit-ups 100 variations
squats 100 variations also
????????????

What are some of your favorites you like to do everyday? ......Thank-you....Aloha
Situp, situps, situps. I bet if someone did nothing but a good ab routine for a year, they would look pretty good.

Ken Ethridge

White Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
Having atleast a set minimum workout would be good, that way if you are crapped for time, you can do that workout. Something simple with a mixed set of things to workout your body from your head to your toes. And stretching is highly recommended everyday too, especially after a hard and heavy workout.

This is what I also recommend. More specifically, a light proper full body stretch, followed by as much full body exorcise as you have time for and still be able to finish your exorcise with a deep full body stretch. It is becoming a more main steam thought that a hard workout should be proceeded by a set of complete "light" stretching as opposed to long deep stretching. This is less important prior to a "workout" and more important prior to a competition or restricted time with an instructor (As too much stretching will tire muscles and that energy is better spent with your instructor or an opponent). On a whole I would put flexibility training as 40% of your over all training. I do not mean that you should spend 40% of your class/workout time stretching, but if you add in the stretching you do on break at work, or when you roll out of bed, or while you watch TV... it adds up. More flexibility means fewer injuries, more endurance and greater speed through less resistance by your body. Circulation is also improved as a tight "bulky" body can restrict blood flow and be stressful on your heart. The roots for YOGA go back nearly as far as any Martial history. Is there any wonder?

Now that I have got that soapbox routine overwith...to answer your question. Be creative with your workouts to prevent boredom. If your martial training includes you grabbing your opponent or if you train with weapons (especially sword or staff):
A 25lb weight dangling from a stick by a piece of rope. With your arms fully extended reel in the weight, then slowly reel out as opposed to just relaxing your grip and letting gravity pull it down. This does wonders for your hands, wrist, forearms, shoulders and back.

I don't want to give away too many of my secrets as I am getting old and need all the advantage I can get!! :eek:P

Take care.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
There is NO workout for martial arts.....like DOING your martial art.
The #1 best way to become a better martial artist isn't to get better at some 'exercise', but to get better at doing the art you're committed too.

Your Brother
John

I'm with Jonathan Randall on this one. Although I agree with what's being said here for the most part, I think a good workout designed with your art and your particular needs in mind would definately be worthwhile.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's my bag and pad work schedule:
Five by Fives

Round Kicks, then Knees to the Heavy Bag in the following order:

1 x Kick

2 x Kicks

3 x Kicks

4 x Kicks

5 x kicks

4 x Kicks

3 x Kicks

2 x Kicks

1 x Kick

Repeat this set Five times on each leg (250 kicks/knees, 500 total).

Three by Hundred

Three sets of a hundred of each strike on the Heavy Bag: Jab/Cross/Hooks/Elbows (300 each, 1800 total).

Ten by Tens

Jab/Cross on Heavy Bag in the following order:

Jab/Cross x 2

Jab/Cross x 4

Jab/Cross x 6

Jab/Cross x 8

Jab/Cross x 10

Jab/Cross x 8

Jab/Cross x 6

Jab/Cross x 4

Jab/Cross x 2

Repeat this set 10 times/repeat for hooks (500 punches each, total of 1000).

Four by Fours

Kicks, Punches and knees to the Thai Pads in the following order:

4 x right round Kicks

4 x left round kicks

4 x left Right, jab/cross combo

4 x Clinch Knees into pads

Repeat this 10 times (Total of 80 kicks, 40 punches, 40 knees).

Five/Ten/Two

Kicks and knees to the Thai Pads in the following order:

5 x Right round kicks

Grab padman - 10 x straight knees

Twist/push padman and 2 x right round kicks.

Repeat this five times, then swap legs (total of 70 kicks and 100 knees).

Jab/Cross Combo

Using the Thai Pads, perform the following Jab/Cross routine 10 times:

Jab/Cross, lead hook

Jab/Cross, lead uppercut

Jab/Cross, Left elbow

Jab/Cross, right elbow

Jab/Cross, left round kick

Jab/Cross, right round kick

Jab/Cross, Left straight knee

Jab/Cross, right straight knee

Total of 180 punches, 20 elbows, 20 kicks, 20 knees.​

Latest Discussions