What excercise do you recommend for everyday workout?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If someone ask you " What is the best exercise for everyday workout for the martial arts? What would you choose for them

Example: running,jogging,walking 1/2 to 1 hour.
jump rope 5 min
push-ups 100 and or a combinations
sit-ups 100 variations
squats 100 variations also
????????????

What are some of your favorites you like to do everyday? ......Thank-you....Aloha

R

rupton

still learning said:
Hello, If someone ask you " What is the best exercise for everyday workout for the martial arts? What would you choose for them

jump rope 5 min
sit-ups 100 variations
????????????

What are some of your favorites you like to do everyday? ......Thank-you....Aloha
As I mentioned in a previous thread similar to this one, I still use a lot of PT exercises I learned in the Marine Corps. My favorite routine usually consists of narrow grip, wide grip and diamond pushups, crunches and pullups. When a pullup bar isn't available you can do handstand pushups against the wall. I've been introducing some of the conditioning techniques to my dojo mates as they are easy to do pretty much anywhere and work very well. I'm thinking about trying out this routine: http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/pt/pt0314.asp ... hardcore :tank:

J

jkdhit

depends a lot on what you're trying to work on

here are some things i do..
brisk walking or jogging - at least 30 mins
shadow boxing - at leat 10 mins
foot work - at least 10 mins
heavybag - full strength until i'm tired

sometimes i do footwork incorporated into walking or jogging around the track which will look weird to other people but it actually helps a lot more

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
PUSH UPS PUSHUPS PUSH UPS

As many combinations as you can think of
Different hand and feet positions work totally different muscles and a full body workout can be done just with push ups. Legs raised ankles together hands wide and out forwards feels like somone is cutting your stomach with a knife (mine does anyway) if you do enough.
I try for 100+ every day normally with 20 reps per set and have felt the benefits and all of my training has definately improved and I look forward to doing them.
Doing a quick 20 between ad breaks is no problem and once you start watching your show again you soon forget about them, but your muscles dont.

J

jkdhit

one of my favorite push up variations is to use one fist while the other hand is holding onto your wrist. it's one of the main pushups we do in qigong.

don't forget to do the push ups at a very slow pace, it helps in working out every muscle that's involved

there was an article in one of our local newspapers a few weeks ago where they did a study that doing excercises involving weights make a bigger difference when you do it as slowly as possible. doing this pushes your muscles to the point where you'll just want to collapse but it works and builds up muscles the best and with faster results

MALCOLM XERXES™

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

jump rope 5 min
sit-ups 100 variations
????????????

STILL LEARNING,

If I am unable to do my entire regimen for whatever reason(s), the bare minimum I can get away with is stretching, as my Sensei taught me that injury tends to result from muscle tightness, a belief that has been proven correct from empirical observation & painful experience.

Ideally, stretching would lead into Calisthenics comprised of triceps dips, pushups & abdominal crunches if a bench or stool is available.

Thereafter, biceps curls with dumb-bells (to complement the dips), along with all the usual variations possible with that style of freeweights, followed up with a curling bar (my preference) &/or barbell routine to strengthen one’s back.

Any & all exercise regimens are concluded with the same sequence of stretches that began the routine.

If time is freely available, then I endorse MR. DOLPH LUNDGREN'S MAXIMUM POTENTIAL™ exercise video, as well as 1 by MS. RACHEL McLISH, the title of which I cannot currently recall, but the only apparatus she requires one to have is a pair of dumbbells.

POST SCRIPTUM: Deep, diaphragmatic breathing is also useful!

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you Mr Xerxes! We all need to do something everyday because muscles get smaller if not use at all. Runners need to run as often as they can, we too must never quit punching and kicking. Thank-you ...Aloha

With-in reason and not over doing it?

MALCOLM XERXES™

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Thank-you Mr Xerxes! We all need to do something everyday because muscles get smaller if not use at all. Runners need to run as often as they can, we too must never quit punching and kicking. Thank-you ...Aloha

With-in reason and not over doing it?
SL,

I am honoured that someone who has attained your level of expertise would bother to consider what I might have to say in this area.

What you say is quite right; one must practice to strengthen & maintain the muscles one needs to execute one’s chosen discipline(s) safely & effectively (& always within one’s own capabilities, naturally!)

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Mr Xerxes, just sharing a bit, Judo is one of the best arts to learn. My son has being doing High school Judo for two years now and he loves the sport side of it. One of his Sensi's has coach one of the first American woman Olympic teams. He has train in Japan, New York and is living on the Big Island of Hawaii. He also teaches the defense side at the regular Dojo. Great stuffs. .....................Aloha

Soldier

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't forget back exercises.
At least back extensions.
Lie down on your stamach and lift upper and lower body, so only belly is left touching the floor.
All the exercise listed work the front of the body, crunch, push ups etc.
back needs exercises too.

C

CrankyDragon

I usually start by getting out of bed, then follow that with a shower and getting dressed. After all that, Im too tired to go to work!

J/K

Im using free weights, cause BowFlex may be nice, but Im poor and WalMart has them you can buy a piece at a time for cheap until you got a whole set!

Andrew

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:

There is NO workout for martial arts.....like DOING your martial art.
The #1 best way to become a better martial artist isn't to get better at some 'exercise', but to get better at doing the art you're committed too.

Your Brother
John

T

t-bone1972

hi rep heavy squats-they put your body in an anabolic state. squat deep for quad flexibility. they work your from the shoulders to the calves in between sets do 60 seconds of heavy bag routines your endurance will skyrocket so will your strength. try it for a week and see how much better you feel...

T

t-bone1972

that isnt an everyday routine though every other day at best or as soreness permits.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
There is NO workout for martial arts.....like DOING your martial art.
The #1 best way to become a better martial artist isn't to get better at some 'exercise', but to get better at doing the art you're committed too.

Your Brother
John
While I agree with your main point, I have found, for myself, at least, that a couple of days a week of weight training (free weights) substantially improves both my strenght and balance - as well as my ability to absorb punishment.

Latest Discussions