What exactly is MMA?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I find it much harder to be a "clown or pretender" when someone is actively trying to KO you or submit you, but maybe that is just me.

cohenp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MMA is a fairly open art. At the gym if I roll with someone who doesn't understand a wrestling move I did I'll explain it to him and maybe he'll pick it up. Maybe I'll roll with a Judo guy and pick up a throw or a lock or something. I'll pick up some pointers on my kicks from a guy who spent some time in Thailand at a Muay Thai camp. The point is you can work like any other martial art into your MMA.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA is a fairly open art. At the gym if I roll with someone who doesn't understand a wrestling move I did I'll explain it to him and maybe he'll pick it up. Maybe I'll roll with a Judo guy and pick up a throw or a lock or something. I'll pick up some pointers on my kicks from a guy who spent some time in Thailand at a Muay Thai camp. The point is you can work like any other martial art into your MMA.

Very true. What I've seen a lot at shows is two fighters who have just minutes before been trying to KO or sub each other, out in a corridor or foyer going over the fight they've had showing each other how they did the techniques. Many times in the ring I've hear one congratulating another on a move and the reply is nearly always, c'mon I'll show you how to do it!
MMA is an art, it's more than just training to win a fight, it's about expanding your martial arts knowledge, it's not about just bashing each other senseless as some would claim. It's a game of physical chess using both brain,brawn and skill. Oh... and it's addictive lol!

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not everyone in the sport sucks, you do have your share of seasoned fighters, but as with boxing, you also have a lot of clowns and pretenders....

Most of the pretenders I run into these days claim MMA or cage fighting as their training. Most of them can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. That doesn't mean that's true of actual MMA students.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the pretenders I run into these days claim MMA or cage fighting as their training. Most of them can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. That doesn't mean that's true of actual MMA students.

I remember when they claimed to be kickboxers and before that they did Kung Fu and before that............etc. lol!