What else do you guys do for fun?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my current hobbies is intentionally misinterpreting forum posts ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suppose we could go with the standard internet forum-speak "depends on what definition of fun we're using" route. Giggle.

For me it was always movies, books, cooking and having a beer with the boys. Then somehow this internet forum thing happened. :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
  • Video games. I've been looking for a good MMORPG to play since WoW went downhill, but right now I'm into BattleTech and Mechwarrior Online.
  • Board games. My family right now is going through the 7 levels of Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle.
  • Semi-related to martial arts: lightsabers
  • I've recently started taking guitar and bass lessons

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Scrabble. I'm a cut throat Scrabble player.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's because of those Hawai'ian words - a whole new way to use up a bunch of vowel tiles.

Un uh, have to be words in the Official Scrabble Dictionary. There are some Hawaiian words though, but not as many as you would think. One that comes to mind is AALII, which is a tree. And which I use all the time to dump those letters.

I've been playing Scrabble a lot longer than I've been doing Martial Arts. I love playing Scrabble.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Un uh, have to be words in the Official Scrabble Dictionary. There are some Hawaiian words though, but not as many as you would think. One that comes to mind is AALII, which is a tree. And which I use all the time to dump those letters.

I've been playing Scrabble a lot longer than I've been doing Martial Arts. I love playing Scrabble.
I've never used the official dictionary - didn't even know one. Our rule was always that it must be in the dictionary. And I grew up with an unabridged behemoth in the house - and we allowed introduction of anything considered a "reasonable word", which meant a word in actual usage that wasn't just slang, and not from a foreign language unless it was a valid loan word. Since Hawai'ian isn't a foreign language (being part of the US), the entire language would have been able to slip in on that last rule. As would Cajun creole.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
  • Video games. I've been looking for a good MMORPG to play since WoW went downhill, but right now I'm into BattleTech and Mechwarrior Online.
  • Board games. My family right now is going through the 7 levels of Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle.
  • Semi-related to martial arts: lightsabers
  • I've recently started taking guitar and bass lessons

Ah nice, I'm getting back into a few games. Am not very up to date though haha, am finishing Kingdom Hearts on PS2, and love the Uncharted series on PS3. I love love love the Monkey Island games for PC too... (a point 'n click comedy game about pirates and wanna-be pirates).

And CONGRATS on your 1000th post! (Yerp I'm creepy like that XD)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last fall I restarted an old, lifelong hobby. One I had been away from for years. Going after scammers and/or corporations. Visiting the East Coast last fall I had arranged a visit, with the Authorities, to a phone scammer [who had reached out to me here trying to extort money] We had so much fun I can't even begin to tell you. Made me rethink giving it all up.

At 3:30 this morning my wife was awakened by my cell phone ringing. I apparently snored right through the whole thing. I've already had the number traced, a scam shop. I'll be back in the area again next fall. And I have five months to formulate a fun plan. I'm going to get down right creative on this one.

Why did I ever give up this hobby? So fun having it back.
Here's one for you Otto. There is a scam going around here where someone posing as the IRS is accusing people of tax fraud and hiding from the federal government, and we need to call immediately to rectify the situation or we will be arrested. Ive gotten this recording a few times. My CPA says its a scam. The number is 202-803-7810.
Go get em!! :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I called the number several times in the last half hour. Busy signal. I'll try again later, see what I can find.

Posing as the IRS is like posing as the devil himself. M'frs.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I called the number several times in the last half hour. Busy signal. I'll try again later, see what I can find.

Posing as the IRS is like posing as the devil himself. M'frs.
The line is tied up with alot of scared people avoiding arrest...:D
202 area code is Washington DC.and I believe that's where the IRS headquarters is located :p

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Worked a long time to be able to set my own schedule. We are 3rd generation beef cattlemen. That is my hobby and a bit of income as well. I have a good network of friends into beef. I am not a vet but get called regularly for help with distressed cattle, calving, etc... We have a really good pair of horses and two Australian Shepherds that I enjoy training although it doesn't take much work with the dogs.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ooh, I forgot to mention tabletop RPGs. That's my Friday night social activity with my wife and friends.
Ok, showing my ignorance; what is table
Take the vette out and drive too fast. We have a drag strip and road course close to home.
Take the Jeep out and drive on rocks. We have lots of mountains in Colorado.
Read. Just about anything.
Computer games - mostly Diablo III, but I'm testing the waters with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
SCUBA diving. Certified for everything except hypoxic trimix and rebreathers.
My 2nd vehicle was a 1978 CJ5 Renegade - 304, 3speed. I was fanatical about them in my late teens & 20's. Wish I had half the money back that I spent on busted Dana Model 20 & 30 axles.
What is your jeep?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, showing my ignorance; what is table
Table-top RPGs = Dungeons & Dragons, and its many relatives.

Before PlayStation, XBox, and computers in every home, if you wanted to go on a fantasy quest to save the kingdom you had to grab some dice, pencils and paper, and meet up face to face with some friends in real life to act out the fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Table-top RPGs = Dungeons & Dragons, and its many relatives.

Before PlayStation, XBox, and computers in every home, if you wanted to go on a fantasy quest to save the kingdom you had to grab some dice, pencils and paper, and meet up face to face with some friends in real life to act out the fun.
By the way, was talking about this with some folks at my niece's graduation party over the weekend. Her dad brought out a set of steel D&D dice he'd bought for one of her friends (I think that was the story). Very cool - weighty and pretty, they were. He informed me that 100-side dice are now available (instead of 2 10-sided), but are huge.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2nd vehicle was a 1978 CJ5 Renegade - 304, 3speed. I was fanatical about them in my late teens & 20's. Wish I had half the money back that I spent on busted Dana Model 20 & 30 axles.
What is your jeep?

I've had several.
I competed in Four Wheeler Magazines Real Truck Challenge in a '98 Dodge Ram with a 408 stroker, 8" of lift, 40" Super Swampers, a 12,000lb Milemarker, etc.
That was too big, so I built an '89 Wrangler with an EFI 383 Chevy, TH350, Atlas 4-speed TC, D44 front, 12 bolt rear, 9" of lift, 40' IROKs, beadlocks, etc.
We ran all the "can I make it" trails, and now we just stick to moderate trails and scenery runs in a 2011 Wrangler Rubicon.
DCAM0109.JPG DCAM1422.JPG IMG_1613.JPG

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had several.
I competed in Four Wheeler Magazines Real Truck Challenge in a '98 Dodge Ram with a 408 stroker, 8" of lift, 40" Super Swampers, a 12,000lb Milemarker, etc.
That was too big, so I built an '89 Wrangler with an EFI 383 Chevy, TH350, Atlas 4-speed TC, D44 front, 12 bolt rear, 9" of lift, 40' IROKs, beadlocks, etc.
We ran all the "can I make it" trails, and now we just stick to moderate trails and scenery runs in a 2011 Wrangler Rubicon.
View attachment 21468 View attachment 21469 View attachment 21470
Love the middle picture. Awesome.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was a wild, barefoot, woods running, creek swimming, fish catching, deer hunting, all nighting, gun shooting, crazy hillbilly fool. Got married two years ago, now I garden.

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, other fun...

There's astronomy - I love looking up. I'll be building an observatory in the garden this year.

I like old machinery too, got a couple of lathes and recently acquired a small milling machine - that and almost anything mechanical really.

Which leads to possibly my favourite toy:

1f386N5.jpg