What else do you guys do for fun?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Computer games - mostly Diablo III, but I'm testing the waters with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
I have a few characters out there I created in Diablo III who haven't finished it (I think I finished only once). Maybe I'll pick that up again the next time I'm in a gaming mood and need something new.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't done that in ages. Haven't found the right group of adults, I suppose.
We've had a pretty good group (with members rotating in and out) for about 6 years now. I'm hoping we can keep up the momentum - some of our players have been having work conflicts for the last month or two and it's been tricky getting a quorum some weeks.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've had a pretty good group (with members rotating in and out) for about 6 years now. I'm hoping we can keep up the momentum - some of our players have been having work conflicts for the last month or two and it's been tricky getting a quorum some weeks.

I always tried running these massive campaigns throughout the years. All I ever needed was THREE players. Two felt too small (by one person, of course), and wouldn't you know it? I could NEVER get three to commit! I even tried running it as play by email or play by post, so people didn't have to clear their schedule to physically sit down with me. The result? They felt it was something they could choose to do...or not do. LOL

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a bit of a commitment to keep those things going. It's much more fun - and productive - playing with people you know and have played with.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I always tried running these massive campaigns throughout the years. All I ever needed was THREE players. Two felt too small (by one person, of course), and wouldn't you know it? I could NEVER get three to commit! I even tried running it as play by email or play by post, so people didn't have to clear their schedule to physically sit down with me. The result? They felt it was something they could choose to do...or not do. LOL

I think that practically you need more players in your group than the minimum number to run a given session. That way when a player or two or three are sick or busy on a given week you still have enough to keep the campaign going. The flip side of this is that if the group gets too large and everyone shows up at once it ends up taking forever to get anything done. I think the sweet spot is probably about 7-8 players in a group. That way you still have enough to play if half the folks don't show on a given night, but it's not completely unwieldy if everyone shows up.

It takes a bit of a commitment to keep those things going. It's much more fun - and productive - playing with people you know and have played with.

I think it helps that we've been playing at a local gaming store that has tables available. The visibility and the referrals from the store owner have helped provide a steady trickle of new players to replace the ones who left for one reason or another.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that practically you need more players in your group than the minimum number to run a given session. That way when a player or two or three are sick or busy on a given week you still have enough to keep the campaign going. The flip side of this is that if the group gets too large and everyone shows up at once it ends up taking forever to get anything done. I think the sweet spot is probably about 7-8 players in a group. That way you still have enough to play if half the folks don't show on a given night, but it's not completely unwieldy if everyone shows up.

I think it helps that we've been playing at a local gaming store that has tables available. The visibility and the referrals from the store owner have helped provide a steady trickle of new players to replace the ones who left for one reason or another.

My problem is, I am a big fan of the number three. I'm a sucker for trilogies...sometimes even bad ones, simply because they are a trilogy! That is because the number three has such huge symbolic meaning in the Western culture, stemming of course from religion (Father, Son, Holy Ghost). Symbols fascinate me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more like 5, but then I've always preferred the easy way small groups negotiate some of the decisions. With 5, there's a real chance you end up without enough people sometimes.

That's helpful. If I stop traveling so much for business, I might check around and see if there's someplace like that here.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking more like 5, but then I've always preferred the easy way small groups negotiate some of the decisions. With 5, there's a real chance you end up without enough people sometimes.

That's helpful. If I stop traveling so much for business, I might check around and see if there's someplace like that here.

If we had hobby stores anywhere near where I live in Stillwater, I am sure I could rely on that too.

Damn Stillwater.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I need more hobbies. Or maybe I just need a life lol. My 4 and 6 year old daughters don't leave much free time. Not that I'm complaining; they're the little loves of my life.

I hear ya! I have 5 and 8 year old boys. Especially right now...the wife is away for training so I'm playing single dad.

I think I'm a career hobbyist... I own enough instruments for a whole band...or two, big nerd so I picked up a BS in Computer Science even though it was unnecessary for my job, have run a marathon and currently into strength training, love languages and am at a survival level in French, Japanese (I think I've forgotten more than I remember now though because I am very rusty), smatterings of Mandarin, and Thai but have been actually sticking with Thai a bit and am at the basic conversational level. I've given drawing a try but haven't done that in years. Same with table top gaming. As has been said, you need a good group and I unfortunately move every few years. Only a few more years though and I can introduce my boys to it.

As for RPG party size, I think 5 is about right. A couple of times I've played with 9 people and it just slower everything down. A "6 second" combat round would take like 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curriculum changes (an inside joke with my wife). Sometimes video games. Hiking. Work (yep, work is mostly fun).

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like to ride my bicycle. If the weather is right, my wife and on rare occasions, my teenage son and I will ride for a couple of hours, stop someplace for lunch, and take a different route home. A nice way to clear your head, explore, and cross train.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last fall I restarted an old, lifelong hobby. One I had been away from for years. Going after scammers and/or corporations. Visiting the East Coast last fall I had arranged a visit, with the Authorities, to a phone scammer [who had reached out to me here trying to extort money] We had so much fun I can't even begin to tell you. Made me rethink giving it all up.

At 3:30 this morning my wife was awakened by my cell phone ringing. I apparently snored right through the whole thing. I've already had the number traced, a scam shop. I'll be back in the area again next fall. And I have five months to formulate a fun plan. I'm going to get down right creative on this one.

Why did I ever give up this hobby? So fun having it back.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last fall I restarted an old, lifelong hobby. One I had been away from for years. Going after scammers and/or corporations. Visiting the East Coast last fall I had arranged a visit, with the Authorities, to a phone scammer [who had reached out to me here trying to extort money] We had so much fun I can't even begin to tell you. Made me rethink giving it all up.

At 3:30 this morning my wife was awakened by my cell phone ringing. I apparently snored right through the whole thing. I've already had the number traced, a scam shop. I'll be back in the area again next fall. And I have five months to formulate a fun plan. I'm going to get down right creative on this one.

Why did I ever give up this hobby? So fun having it back.
Now that's a hobby worth having. That sounds like far more fun than almost anything else I can think of.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hunt
Fish
Coach Junior High Fall League Baseball
Put together karate videos with my oldest son

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to ride my bicycle.

That's a nice way to spend a bit of time productively.

If the weather is right, my wife

A little too much information there, but a healthy marital relationship is good... :bag:

and on rare occasions, my teenage son

OH MY GOD, WHAT??? :eek:

and I will ride for a couple of hours, stop someplace for lunch, and take a different route home. A nice way to clear your head, explore, and cross train.

Ah, ok, everything is right with the world again.

Note to self, stop glancing at the TV part way through reading posts :D