What else do you guys do for fun?

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know there are two old threads around where people talk about their other hobbies but a lot of the posters on there do not seem to be active anymore, so I thought I would start a new one.

Beside MA I like cooking and playing music (banjo, guitar, cigarbox guitar, fiddle (badly) and just starting on piano).

I do nothing very well though.......my cooking is probably the best

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Write, play guitar, work out, hang out with kids, watch movies, go to music shows (rarely).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a photographer:

Wigwam Jones

I'm a writer.

I am an audiophile and I design and build vacuum tube-based amplifiers for fun. Part of my record collection:

Check out bmattock's music collection on Discogs

I am a firearms enthusiast. Currently building my own firearms (legal). About to get back into reloading.

I am rebuilding and customizing my 2000 Jeep Cherokee and my 1994 Toyota Pickup.

I'm a Raspberry Pi enthusiast.

I write a lot of perl and shell scripts to do various things.

I culture-jam. Erisian, Discordian, Pastafarian.

Catholic.

And I hit people.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know there are two old threads around where people talk about their other hobbies but a lot of the posters on there do not seem to be active anymore, so I thought I would start a new one.

Beside MA I like cooking and playing music (banjo, guitar, cigarbox guitar, fiddle (badly) and just starting on piano).

I do nothing very well though.......my cooking is probably the best
I'm old I don't have fun lol

OP
Flatfish

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am an audiophile and I design and build vacuum tube-based amplifiers for fun.

That is impressive. I once tried building a small solid state amp for my cigarbox guitars. It was very successful; upon plugging it in, there was a loud pop and a bunch of smoke came out of it.....

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is impressive. I once tried building a small solid state amp for my cigarbox guitars. It was very successful; upon plugging it in, there was a loud pop and a bunch of smoke came out of it.....

I have built a few smokers myself. Get those electrolytic capacitors wired backwards and apply 400 volts and bang. That smoke smells really bad, also.

This is not made easier by the fact that I am color-blind. However, I can read a schematic and this keeps me on the safer side of fried.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These days I don't have a lot of time and energy left after work and martial arts training. I play some music with friends (mostly bass and guitar), cuddle my wife and cats, read, and occasionally play video games. When I was younger I participated in the SCA, did some rock climbing, went out to live music shows, spent time walking in the woods, and tried out a variety of arts and crafts and activities which were fun, but never hooked me as deeply as martial arts did.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I cook. Look forward to days off to cook things that I've never cooked before. I'm having so much fun.:)
I read a lot, love reading. Hang out with friends, doing all kinds of things. Easy to have fun here.
And I've gotten into taking photos now. (Never give a fool a digital camera)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get into the woods from time to time. I read. I muck about with technology. I play a very little bit of guitar quite ill, indeed. I watch Family Guy. I play the occasional video game. I play with the dogs and cats. I cook. I sometimes go out and try to destroy the hard work of groundskeepers at a golf course. I shop antique stores and bring back very old books I no longer have room for.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know what I used to do for fun? I used to go after big corporations if they tried to screw me. Used to go after scammers, too, if they entered my life. They were sometimes long pursuits, sometimes tiring. But I never once lost, not once. There weren't even any ties.

A scammer called me as I boarded a plane on Monday. Looking for a thousand dollars from a dented rental car that I had some months ago.
I laughed, told them "good luck with that plan" and hung up. But after doing some research on their phone number, especially after the woman saying they were a Law Firm (which they are not), I'm going after them. Really hard, too, really nasty.

That's what I'm going to be doing for fun. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just got into selling Real estate. So it's technically a job but I think it's fun and I don't do it for work I have a full time regular job so it's kinda like a hobby(although I seem to spend more hours doing that then my regular job)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am a photographer:

Wigwam Jones

I'm a writer.

I am an audiophile and I design and build vacuum tube-based amplifiers for fun. Part of my record collection:

I am a firearms enthusiast. Currently building my own firearms (legal). About to get back into reloading.

I am rebuilding and customizing my 2000 Jeep Cherokee and my 1994 Toyota Pickup.

Catholic.

And I hit people.
That's some pretty eclectic taste in music you got there.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I cook large pieces of meat, usually in my smoker. I collect martial arts books, going back to the 19th century.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I need more hobbies. Or maybe I just need a life lol. My 4 and 6 year old daughters don't leave much free time. Not that I'm complaining; they're the little loves of my life.

I got into photography by accident when my first daughter was born. My father gave me his Canon 40d at the hospital (it was as an excuse for him to upgrade), and of course I had to try to figure out how it worked best, as auto mode left much to be desired after a few months. I'll take my daughters on "photo shoots" as they like to call them. I have a few good prime lenses, and will upgrade the camera body when I have some disposable income.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides my aikido/judo training & teaching.... Hmm. Work, mainly.

I love going to comedy shows, that's probably my most fun thing to do, after chasing my wife around. We enjoy going out, but we've gotten away from going dancing some and are getting more into happy hour meet & greets with friends. Hanging out at friends houses is a good time, too.

But, mostly work, so we can head to a beach for vacation.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a photographer:

Wigwam Jones

I'm a writer.

Catholic.

And I hit people.

I miss being able to sit around in front of my stereojust listening to music. It's got way too much dust on it now...

Bryston B60 integrated amp
Rega DAC
Pro-Ject 1Xpression turntable with Dyanvector 10x5 cartridge and Pro-Ject Speed Box
AudioPhysic Yara monitors

Sorry, I haven't spoken about my stereo in quite some time. It took me a while to put it all together.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I sleep, draw (paper or digitally, I recently drew a profile avatar for my friend dubbed "TheNaziSpaceWizard" which I'm not posting for fear of another report - looking to learn CAD this year), cook (which is rare because I'm never hungry), play piano (which I've only taken up recently after doing it when I was 8-10), produce music on my pirated software (I never finish any of them, and they usually stay as 20 second instrumentals), play videogames, [crap]post on social media, attend the gym for mandatory chest day, "meditate(stare aimlessly into distance)," clean, equip my PC with bootleg mods of aesthetic, read (most recently "No Hero" by Jonathan Wood - definitely interesting), maybe write, insanely talk to myself, etc.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the vette out and drive too fast. We have a drag strip and road course close to home.
Take the Jeep out and drive on rocks. We have lots of mountains in Colorado.
Read. Just about anything.
Computer games - mostly Diablo III, but I'm testing the waters with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
SCUBA diving. Certified for everything except hypoxic trimix and rebreathers.

Latest Discussions