• D: I don't know, I just point my feet 'somewhere over there'

• E - None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding a fairly well written and time consuming post.

Just curious, you said "In the martial sciences" I'm curious as to what you mean by that.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hand wraps were illegal in the bareknuckle boxing days of old. They were used during training however. More so because laborers were the mainstay of the boxing community and needed to work to put food on the table and a roof overhead.

There is some truth in gloves coming along with the rule change "queensburry" to thwart throwing/tossing, but it is a small part not the main. Gloves were introduced for the protection of the fight promoter, then the fighters hand. Plain and simple.

Buttocks throws, hip tosses, reaps do not need the hand to grab and never have. Gloves never had any bearing on these types of throws.

The gloves stopped the grab and pound. It made it a pugilistic sport... gentlemens sport.

Gloves allowed for more fights in a shorter rest period between bouts. Does anyone know why and what injury caused the longest lay off for prize fighters BEFORE the queensburry rule change?

It almost makes more sense that gloves came along for the money, more so then the protection of the fighters. The "queensburry" rules were introduced so prize bouts could be held. Until then boxing was illegal.

Money and law had a greater impact then anything "martial".

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
For the record imho everything is a horse stance. Its the subtle variations and moments captured in time for a reference point that create all the other stances.

Its those moments in time when coupled with "other" things that generate movement, power, torque, etc...

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
BallistikMike said:
Does anyone know why and what injury caused the longest lay off for prize fighters BEFORE the queensburry rule change?

Jail time for illegal prize fighting.
icon10.gif

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Old fashioned focus mits. The gloves referred to were the ones for fighting. They just covered the hands, no wrapping, very thin. They were just for stopping the grabbing that was going on.

what's your source for this information?

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Just curious, you said "In the martial sciences" I'm curious as to what you mean by that.

So first you suggest that martial science is a "marketing buzzword" and now you want to know what it means. Usually insulting someone then asking them a question is not the polite way of going about obtaining usefull information. I think, perhaps, your chance for receiving an answer is lost (via Doc).

If you search for martial science I am sure some other post explains exactly what it means. The "marketing" angle has been suggested before along with every other uneducated suggestion about Doc's school.

Busto

White Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest taking a trip to California to visit Mr.Chapel and experience it for yourself.I just came back from a visit there.All I can say is that it was definetly worth the trip.When you are there he can show you in person "To feel is to believe"
Thank You again Mr.Chapel and everyone at the school.

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Well what do you know. Doesn't look like Infinite Insights does it Doctor? :)
Even Jeff Speakmens neutral bow doesn't look like the one from II. (Under the "what is kenpo" section).

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Well what do you know. Doesn't look like Infinite Insights does it Doctor? :)
I wish he had allowed himself to be the model for more of the instructional pictures. I think that I understand his concerns, and I know that you can't strictly learn from pictures but they would have been a nice way to "index" the basics as he saw them. Well back to short 1 again.

Jeff :asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I wish he had allowed himself to be the model for more of the instructional pictures. I think that I understand his concerns, and I know that you can't strictly learn from pictures but they would have been a nice way to "index" the basics as he saw them. Well back to short 1 again.
Jeff :asian:
Yeah, he learned his lesson with the "Basics Booklet." Almost immediately a great deal of what he posed was changed, especially the blocks. A huge concern of his because people could always point to the book and say, "That's the way Ed Parker does it." He felt constrained by his own work. The only thing he ever posed for after that was his "Nunchaku Book." Other than that, he never instructionally posed again. He felt by having various students do it, he could always say, "It evolved."

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh that was a good one. The stances in general as displayed in Infinite Insights are flawed and were not to Mr. Parker's liking. Drawings yes, pictures no.

Now I remember why i havent been on this site for a long time. Same BS as before i'm right you're wrong crap

Latest Discussions