What does a Black Belt mean?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Professor Kano, founder of judo and the man who came up with the modern ranking system...began wearing a white belt again towards the end of his life...Ueshiba did the same thing, instead of wearing the black hakama like all the other instructors, he began to wear a white one..it was probably a humbling experience...these men that founded their own arts...martial artists of the highest caliber..demonstrating, that black belt isn't the final step...in the end, we end up right back at the beginning...
Professor Helio Gracie can be seen on film wearing a blue belt. He liked the way it looked and it's more common, particularly toward the end of his life, wearing the blue belt than wearing his red belt.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of interesting replies.
I don't know about anyone else but my views of what a Black Belt is has changed so drastically over the years that I have dozens of different ideas on what a black belt is.

When I was a little kid I thought Black Belts were Ninjas, capable of the most fantastic things.

When I was a young teenager I thought Black Belts were incredible martial athletes capable of great physical accomplishments, and amazing fighting ability

When I was in my late teens and fighting in the streets for a while I thought black belts were a good way to judge my own ability to fight and a good bragging right to beat in front of my peers..

When I was just out of my teens and actually started Karate for the first time, I thought Black Belts were masters of the knowledge of how to do the martial art.

When I was an advanced belt in Karate I thought Black Belts were people who had knowledge of the curriculum, and had improved their own skills a certain amount.

When I earned my first black belt I thought Black Belt was the new starting point for myself and learning in the art, and the example for all lower belts to learn and strive to be like.

When I earned my second Black Belt I thought Black belts were people who should be able to self correct themselves and their own technique as well as their students.

When I earned my third Black Belt I felt I realized that being a black belt is so much more beyond the physical aspects, and started working on my diet, and mental aspects more.

I wonder what my opinion of a black belt will be next year... or in 5 years...or 30 years?

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the meaning of any black belt can only be understood when you know the one that awarded the belt.

A great fighter may only be awarding this rank to others that fit his mold.

A man of artistic MA ability may be looking for those that reach this state.

A well rounded martial artist and human being may award BB when he feels a student has grown in this manner.

My belt means to me, that I have reached a point of accountability. A stage where I need to research things for myself and find answers to my questions. I can no longer expect to be "spoon fed" by my instructor.

Steven Craig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe a Black Belt is what you are when you start training from that rank, not when you achieve it. It is like saying you have been to uni because you were accepted. I have met many people who say they are black belts, but left once they achieved the rank. To me they are cho dan bo.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lots of interesting replies.
I don't know about anyone else but my views of what a Black Belt is has changed so drastically over the years that I have dozens of different ideas on what a black belt is.

When I was a little kid I thought Black Belts were Ninjas, capable of the most fantastic things.

When I was a young teenager I thought Black Belts were incredible martial athletes capable of great physical accomplishments, and amazing fighting ability

When I was in my late teens and fighting in the streets for a while I thought black belts were a good way to judge my own ability to fight and a good bragging right to beat in front of my peers..

When I was just out of my teens and actually started Karate for the first time, I thought Black Belts were masters of the knowledge of how to do the martial art.

When I was an advanced belt in Karate I thought Black Belts were people who had knowledge of the curriculum, and had improved their own skills a certain amount.

When I earned my first black belt I thought Black Belt was the new starting point for myself and learning in the art, and the example for all lower belts to learn and strive to be like.

When I earned my second Black Belt I thought Black belts were people who should be able to self correct themselves and their own technique as well as their students.

When I earned my third Black Belt I felt I realized that being a black belt is so much more beyond the physical aspects, and started working on my diet, and mental aspects more.

I wonder what my opinion of a black belt will be next year... or in 5 years...or 30 years?
Great answer. If you look at your post you will see the journey that you can only see when looking back. Most are at the start of the path that begins the journey so they only know what they have just started. Once you have traveled some as you have, you will see that as the journey unfolds your opinions changes as you travel deeper into the path.

Good for you.

Sadly some people will never look back. They reach destinations never understanding where they came from or how they got there.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
The belt you wear, whatever the colour, just represent the time and effort you`ve put into walking the path of martial arts. Taking it away or dying it white won`t change anything.

Being a black belt just means you`ve met the standards for this rank at your Dojo. Generally it includes:
-A good grasp of the basics and some refinement of technique.
-The ability to deliver a KO.
-Fighting spirit.
-Some teaching ability or can at least be a good uke.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It definitely means a lot of different things:

1. I agree with Shaolinwolf definition

2. A black belt is a recognition of accomplishment.

3.The first level of black belt in Japanese is called shodan which literally means first level/beginning step. Thus, having a black belt means that one is finally able to genuinely grasp the concepts upon which the martial arts are based.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
3.The first level of black belt in Japanese is called shodan which literally means first level/beginning step. Thus, having a black belt means that one is finally able to genuinely grasp the concepts upon which the martial arts are based.

That is indeed a very good point, and one I agree with. The black belt indicates that you have the basic techniques down, as well as an understanding of the concepts of the art.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is indeed a very good point, and one I agree with. The black belt indicates that you have the basic techniques down, as well as an understanding of the concepts of the art.

It depends. The first dan belt system in karate only had 5 levels, not 10. At that time, a shodan considerably held more 'meaning' than it seems to currently.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
All in all , I believe a black belt is a considerable achievement. In today's society everyone wants everything as quickly as possible and people cant stick to anything for longer than a couple of months. Whether it be learning a musical instrument, doing a degree or even trying to save money, most people simply give up after a very short period. Martial arts is no exception, most people who start give it away very early on. So when I see someone who has trained for several years to get a black belt I think its commendable that they found something they were passionate about and stuck with it through the good and bad to reach that goal. Most people never get that far and as much as people talk about black belt factories and how easy they are to get, realistically what percentage of the human race actually have a black belt? Im not sure, but the percentage would be very low. Outside of my dojang I dont know anyone else with a black belt. Im not trying to over value the black belt , but to me it is a considerable achievment in a society where people give up very easily.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The black belt in an insignia of beign a yudansha in Japanese gendai budo that use the kyu/dan system and wear rank belts, originating with judo.

Non-Japanese styles have adopted the use of the kyu/dan system and the associated belts (such as taekwondo, hapkido, etc.).

Regardless of national origin, the black belt is an insignia of one who is an advanced student within a specific art.

Daniel

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
it means different things to different people. To me, the black belt means that you may start over with a deeper understanding of what is there.

It means that you have shown your commitment and worked hard and now may delve deeper into what you have learned.

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
Honestly my definition of BB has changed over the years. Now a days I don't really pay attention of peoples degree's or belts, it's more of the "show me what you got" is what I'm thinking.

Why? Because I've seen too many 4th degrees that leave you wondering how they got there, 1st degrees that lack confidence and seem to spar with an avoidance approach.

On the other side, I've seen color belts with such strong training ethics and approach to the art that in my mind they're already black belts.

Latest Discussions