What does a Black Belt mean?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just completed my 2nd Brown Belt test.

In the words of my instructior, a black belt means ....

Now, we can start learning kenpo karate.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a student moves up the ranks, they also move from one end of the 'technical to tactical/strategic' scale. Lower belt ranks are instructed and focus more on the technical than the tactical. As you promote/understand better, you start grasping a little more of the tactical at each level. Notice how forms/techniques can be explained in a more short hand fashion to intermediate to advanced students because they 'get it' better. At the Black Belt level, students 'get' all of the fundamental movements and 'get' a solid chunk of the relationships between forms and techniques and applications. As students progress through the BB ranks, they begin moving into the level of strategy. Of course this is not a description of the political/loyalty/support considerations for higher BB promotions, only the artistic and martial aspects of development.

It will vary from school to school, but this same small scale to large scale of understanding should be happening on a personal accoutability and character level of development as well.

OP
M

marshallbd

It's interesting how many different answers a simple question will get! :asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
I read this somewhere once, I hope I got it right....
"If you were to ask people on the street the meaning of having a black belt they would say that a black belt is the highest level of martial art training.
Most beginning students would probably say that a black belt is the level that a student becomes an instructor.
A beginning level black belt would probably say that their level of black belt now means only that they are now a serious student, now worthy of learning more advanced techniques."
Opinions?
What would a 10th say?
:asian:
My own thoughts on this is that any belt holder, from white to 10th Dan, MUST decide for themselves what that belt implies. The belt doesn't give worth to the artist, the artist gives worth to the belt.

Your Brother
John

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

What does a Black Belt mean?

It think it means different things to different people.

As for me I believe it means i reached another level but the learning continues and more advaned techniques/information are implemented on what we learned in the past.

"In the begining a punch was just a punch

In the middle a punch wasnt just a punch

In the end a punch is just a punch "

Chicago Green Dragon

OP
M

marshallbd

This is a speach that was given by a 15 year old girl at her Black Belt tests as part of her testing requirements. I found it on www.uechi-ryu.com.

"The Role Karate Has Played In My Life"
by Kelsey Morgan

When I think of black belt, the words that come to mind are determination, bravery, resolution, respect and courage. It represents honesty, devotion, self-control, resolve, motivation, willpower, fortitude, spirit, endurance, fearlessness and strength of mind, body and character.

Getting my black belt symbolizes my martial art talent and ability as well as all these qualities that can be found within myself. A black belt to me is someone who isn't afraid to stand up for themselves and defend what they believe in, no matter what.

Materialistically speaking, a black belt is simply a brown belt that happens to be a darker shade. But the actual black belt isn't what makes this monumental achievement such a tremendous accomplishment in one's life. It is the symbolism behind the black belt and what it represents that makes it such an immeasurable success to have earned. It represents six years of hard work. It stands for every time I may have wanted to quit but instead I stuck with it because I knew I was going to accomplish this goal. And because I had already had it in my head that I would do this and accomplish this goal, I had to. No matter how much hard work and dedication it took to get there, I would someday get my black belt. And whether that day is today or six months or more from now, I am still determined to achieve this goal that I have aspired to accomplish since I was eight years old.

Getting my black belt is one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. I set a goal, and even though I though it was impossible, I worked hard to get this far. Now that I am so close to accomplishing what could be the greatest achievement of my life so far, I couldn't be prouder of myself. This is the hardest goal I have ever worked to achieve in my life. I am going to finish what I started. Even if I don't get my black belt this test, I will try harder next time because this is one goal nothing is going to stop me from achieving.

Karate has had a huge impact upon my life. I am a much wiser, stronger, more confident person now, and I am also now physically capable of defending myself, and confident in my ability to do so. To be completely truthful, before I started practicing Uechi-ryu, I had extremely low self-esteem and couldn't stand up for myself. I based how I felt about myself on what other people though about me and had no confidence in myself. I never could have imagined when I first started karate that it could have possibly had this huge of an effect on my life.

Dramatically changed for the better, my life would never be the same if I hadn't embarked upon this journey and joined karate. Now I am in shape physically, I stick up for myself and defend my opinions and what I think is right. I have very high confidence in myself and my abilities and talents, rather than doubting myself. When I walk now, rather than my head down all the time, I look at the world in the face and have this air of confidence people can sense when they meet me.

Most importantly of all, karate has taught me to be myself rather than always pretending to be someone I'm not. I don't have to be exactly like someone else to fit in or be liked. I am perfect the way I am and people will have to accept the fact that I will be myself. I have extreme confidence in myself, not only in my abilities in martial arts, but outside of the karate dojo and in life in general, and I have my karate skills to thank for all of that. The role karate has played in my life is immeasurable, and the great impact upon me made by karate will stay with me throughout my life.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what does a black belt mean?

not a whole lot, unfortunately.

The standards have slipped too much, and there are too many different styles with different requirements for there to be any kind of standard outside their own studio or organization.

A black belt means that there is certain protocol I will adhere to with a person wearing one. "Yes, sir", "no, sir" and saluting and bowing accordingly.

I've seen too many four year old blackbelts. Too many blackbelts that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Its gotten to the point where rank doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Its unfortunate, but skill and ability seem to have very little to do with rank.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a Black Belt means being able to understand your art at a level that you can now begin teaching those beginners and intermediate students the basic idea of what Martial Arts really is, just not the fighting but the mental aspect as well, there are alot of young blackbelts that have the physical aspect of martial arts but not the mental aspect of said art.In my opion to many fighting schools not enough mental one's as well. just because you can fight does not make you a blackbelt. Being a BlackBelt is a way of life. God Bless America

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
It's interesting how many different answers a simple question will get! :asian:
Are they really all that different? Almost everyone has "toned down" the importance of the belt as compared to what someone untrained in the MA would put upon it. Most have fallen very close to either saying that it is a new begining or simply a continuation of training.

OP
M

marshallbd

theletch1 said:
Are they really all that different? Almost everyone has "toned down" the importance of the belt as compared to what someone untrained in the MA would put upon it. Most have fallen very close to either saying that it is a new begining or simply a continuation of training.
Point taken.... :asian:

OP
E

Elfan

It reflects a personal relashionship between student and teacher.

OP
M

marshallbd

Elfan said:
It reflects a personal relashionship between student and teacher.
And that is the relationship I hope to one day achieve with my instructor/teacher/sifu/sensei or whatever title he/she decides I should use for him/her. And then one day(A LOOOOONG WAY AWAY), maybe, if luck is with me, I can foster a relationship like that with someone as the instructor/teacher/sifu/sensei or whatever title seems appropriate at that time. I Kinda like Beau myself!

Beau Marshall!!!!!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Answer #1: A black belt means you have mastered the basic material enough to proceed to the more advanced study of your style. It does NOT mean you have mastered it, a common misconception of non-practitioners.

Answer #2: Judging by who I see wearing it, not much.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Answer # 3: 1st-3rd Dan (Tae Kwon Do) means you will now begin the process of learning and perfecting your physical technique to its highest level, both in class and on your own. You will also assist your Instructor with teaching beginning and intermediate belts in physical technique and manners/etiquette.

Answer #4: 4th Dan and above means you will begin to contribute to your organization, as well as national and world TKD both in physical and non-physical ways. You will also be judged as a TKD Instructor based on the accomplishments of your students.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

There are no belts.

There are only teachers and students :asian:

OP
R

RHD

What does a black belt mean?

LOL
It means you've spent some money!
Some more than others.
Mike

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting it upon successful completion of rigorous training and examination, one should scan what they know/have learned up to this point, and think to themselves (in light of their instructors and seniors' skill), "Dang, there are a lot of people out there who can whoop my ****!".

The 10th, upon being awarded this honor by the Soke or council of seniors (real ones), should think to himself, "Dang, there are still a lot of people out there that can whoop my ****...hopefully, there are fewer of them than before, and we can meet in peace to compare notes over pizza while making our way gracefully in the world and avoid getting shot."

Live well; Die gloriously!

D.

OP
M

marshallbd

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Getting it upon successful completion of rigorous training and examination, one should scan what they know/have learned up to this point, and think to themselves (in light of their instructors and seniors' skill), "Dang, there are a lot of people out there who can whoop my ****!".

The 10th, upon being awarded this honor by the Soke or council of seniors (real ones), should think to himself, "Dang, there are still a lot of people out there that can whoop my ****...hopefully, there are fewer of them than before, and we can meet in peace to compare notes over pizza while making our way gracefully in the world and avoid getting shot."

Live well; Die gloriously!

D.
WELL SAID!!! (I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts!) :asian:

Latest Discussions