What do you wear on the first day?

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Exactly what the topic says.

I'm asking because I obviously won't have a gi or anything by the day of the first class.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
beau99 said:

I'm asking because I obviously won't have a gi or anything by the day of the first class.
It really depends on your instructor. I would say call and ask. You may be given/purchase a gi as part of your orientation/registration process so it could be a moot point.

If you can't ask or there is no time, I would say simple work out cloths (sweats or track suits and a simple White or Black T-Shirt) and sneakers w/socks. Just dress as if you were going to any work out at a gym on a cool day.

Shorts, not the first day. If you see they do, you can.
Make sure your feet are presentable (clipped nails and clean) because you may have to take the shoes/socks off and you don't want to be anymore self conscious than you will be already.

Good luck.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
It really depends on your instructor. I would say call and ask. You may be given/purchase a gi as part of your orientation/registration process so it could be a moot point.

If you can't ask or there is no time, I would say simple work out cloths (sweats or track suits and a simple White or Black T-Shirt) and sneakers w/socks. Just dress as if you were going to any work out at a gym on a cool day.

Shorts, not the first day. If you see they do, you can.
Make sure your feet are presentable (clipped nails and clean) because you may have to take the shoes/socks off and you don't want to be anymore self conscious than you will be already.

Good luck.
What he said. Sweats and a t-shirt.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
beau99 said:

My first day of martial arts training I wore what I was told to wear by my Sabumnim, a very stiff, brand new dobok, which lacked the hours of training greyish color and sweat stains, and a crisp WHITE belt around my waist. YIKES!!!!!
AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :anic:

Glad those days are behind me... :uhyeah:

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Beau-

I'd agree with the sweats and a t-shirt comment.........when is your first day? Let us all know how it went!!

:asian: :karate:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please! What ever you do, don't wear a tank top to class! It is a pet peeve of mine people wear tank tops to class, I mean really, I don't want someones sweaty, hairy armpit on my face. :barf:

Fight with attitude

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't really like when people wear shorts...when they go for an arm bar I always get a sweaty leg in my face...I really think our school should make a rule saying no tank tops or shorts.

OP
S

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Beau-

I'd agree with the sweats and a t-shirt comment.........when is your first day? Let us all know how it went!!

:asian: :karate:
September 14th... and I will let you all know!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i'm guessing that this is going to be at a college, from your age and starting date that is...

if so...just show up in whatever you would wear to excersize normally...the instructor will let you know if you need to purchase a gi or if it is even required

OP
S

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
i'm guessing that this is going to be at a college, from your age and starting date that is...

if so...just show up in whatever you would wear to excersize normally...the instructor will let you know if you need to purchase a gi or if it is even required
Yeah, this is a college thing.

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Like everyone else said, sweats and a t-shirt. I just started myself and our instructor suggested we wear that, he also allows us to wear sweats and a t-shirt for the first month, that way you are not pruchasing a GI and then deciding that it is not the MA you want to do. After the first month we are required to purchase one but, again , it is all up to your instructor and school.

I

Insedia_Cantharis

I suggest asking anyone you might know in that class, or calling the instructor. If not, Just wear some sweats and a t-shirt. NO SLEAVLESS SHIRTS!!!

Make sure your nails and toenails are cut, and make sure you are wearing all of the apropriat... ah... gear. ;)

You don't want to be more timid or self consiouse than you already are.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i do most of my training at my college...and for the beginner's class it's pretty lax...no uniform required...except for judo, obviously...as long as your not naked...the most important is to have fun

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
obviously...as long as your not naked...

What!!!! you are not meant to be naked?? So thats why they all looked at me funny......... :xtrmshock

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I could understand the funny looks, but I thought the screaming was a bit over the top................ :idunno:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
haha...that might have been uncalled for...

though there usually is at least one girl and guy each semester that doesn't understand that this a physical class...i beleive it was spring semester last year...a girl showed up wearing a mini-skirt(big emphasis on the mini) and she kinda slipped out before we started working those high kicks we tkd people like so much

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Yeah, or people who come wearing long-sleeve shirts, or who take off their shoes, but leave their socks on (for a workout on a wood floor). For some reason these people usually don't show up after the first couple of classes.

Latest Discussions