What do you think?

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post in the Taekwondo forum. I just have a question. Have any of you ever heard of or known a man named Rick Pope in Cleveland, TN? He owns Pope's Taekwondo Academy here. I just noticed the other day on his sign that he also teaches Jujitsu. Is this a common practice to combine these two? I just want to know if he is known at all as a reputable instructor. Thanks so much for your time.

Jason

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are asking because you are looking to maybe attend this dojang, I would at least visit the school and watch a few classes. Maybe even take a trial lesson or two. Also talk to some of the people taking the classes also.

Hope this helps.

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I went tonight and had a conversation with the owner for about an hour. (Very nice man) He was very helpful and offered not only my first TKD class free, but also the first BJJ class! His first month trial fee was $44 and after that it is $79 per month. (Clothing is provided) There is a testing fee of $60 per rank. He is a member of the ITA. Is this a good organization? Also, do the prices sound reasonable? Thanks in advance.

Jason

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing. The owner said someone could get a black belt in 18 months if they worked hard. He also said he has a lot of black belts he doesn't feel could defend themselves on the street. Ouch. His uniform was really flashy though.

Jason

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing. The owner said someone could get a black belt in 18 months if they worked hard. He also said he has a lot of black belts he doesn't feel could defend themselves on the street. Ouch. His uniform was really flashy though.

Jason

That seems like enough of a reason to go somewhere else in my opinion. 18 months is a significant amount of time if you train 6-8 hours a week. I would think if you do at least that much you should be able to apply some of what you learned for practical use.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Jason
This part just plain confused me. He said you could get a BB in 18 months yet in the same breath he openly admits that his BB's couldn't defend themselves in the street? Time to move on. BTW..is that a BB in TKD or BJJ? If it is BJJ then definitely stay away from it.

ITA was at one time part of the ATA I believe. From what I understand the BJJ that they teach is based on a small subset curriculum that the instructors go to a few seminars to learn themselves. So it is not like they have been studying BJJ under a specific school for many years. This may or may not apply to him specificly, but in general this is how the ATA and ITA have functioned in the past on such curriculums.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The ITA = Independent Taekwondo Association. That Assoc. is run by John Pellegrini. Some of the members are former ATA schools but not all of them. Was he offering actual BJJ or the combat hapkido ground survival program?

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
The ITA = Independent Taekwondo Association. That Assoc. is run by John Pellegrini. Some of the members are former ATA schools but not all of them. Was he offering actual BJJ or the combat hapkido ground survival program?

He said it was actually BJJ and he was a 2nd level or whatever.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jason

If the head instructor truely said the above than look elsewhere any Instructor that would say he promoted BB that can not defend themself is not a true instructor.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ITA can also refer to the older International Taekwondo Association under James Benko. Like everyone else said though, if he admits he's promoted black belts that could not defend themselves, you should really look elsewhere I think.

Good Luck. ^~^

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all for your posts. I think I have found a better place to train finally. I found a Kenpo dojo in downtown Chattanooga that looks promising. His prices are reasonable and he seems legitimate. He created what he calls "Five Animal Kenpo" but he has his 6th Degree BB in American Kenpo. His credentials are below...

Trevor Haines has been training
in the martial arts since 1977 and
teaching since 1986.

Summary of Credentials:

• Founder (Sijo) of Five Animal Kenpo
• 6th Deg. Black Belt in American Kenpo
• Sifu in Wing Chun Kung Fu
• Master of Arms in European Fencing
• B.A. Degree Communications

...Plus he was really nice on the phone and sounded encouraging. Here is a link to his youtube site. http://www.youtube.com/trevorhaines

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't tell my green belts they could go to TN and get a black belt in 18 months.... :)

Flashy uniforms + 18month black belt program + admittedly poorly prepared students=honestly bad school.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you earn a BB in 18 months, and your name isnt Joe Lewis or Bruce Lee, you prob have arude shock comming to you first time you try to spar another BB.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of you may be shocked to know that you Korean children and adults usually get their BB/poom in less that 18 months (in Korea). Of course they train for 3 hours 3 days a week and do no self defense/weapons/meditation/other garbage you find in many US tkd schools (not that Self Defense is unimportant). They just do 6-8 kicks (many,many, many times), Poomsae and sparring.
THAT BEING SAID, the school you are referring to sounds like a mcdojang. Glad to hear that you went somewhere else. Curious what rank he was in BJJ though.

Latest Discussions