What do you think of this exercise?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Came up with a leg exercise this week that I think was pretty effective. Some of the students said they've done similar exercises at previous schools:
  1. Front kick, land your foot in front of you, dip your other knee into a lunge. Kick-lunge-kick-lunge, all the way down the mat.
  2. Roundhouse kick - lunge - roundhouse kick - lunge.
  3. Side squat into a step-behind side kick. Go down the mat on one leg, come back on the other.
  4. From a side stance, do a normal squat, and then back kick. Squat and back kick with the other leg.
  5. Side squat into step-behind hook kick. Go down the mat on one leg, come back on the other.
  6. Step forward into side stance, do a normal squat, and then spin hook kick. (Our spin hook kicks we follow through all the way back, if you land yours in front of you, then skip the "step forward"). Continue Step-Squat-Spin Hook, or Squat-Spin Hook, depending on your style.
This proved to be an effective leg workout, even with just one set of each kick. Things we did not do, but I could see being good additions:
  • Lunge, with ax kick, crescent kick, or twist kick. Regular versions of side kick or hook kick would work well here, too.
  • Side stance, normal squat into tornado kick. If you follow through all the way around this will chain well, if you land in front you may want to step back once and then repeat.
  • Side stance, normal squat into pop jumps, like a pop 360 roundhouse, pop jump spin hook, pop back kick, pop 360 hook

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Havent read it yet, just the title. Will actually read it if it gets slow at work-but i think im safe in this statement. Again, needs more cowbell/punches.
(I promise ill give a real answer later)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The roundhouse lunge feels a bit weird-i feel like roundhouse-squat-recenter self might work better.

Outside of that, it looks good. But my assumption was right-not enough punching

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The roundhouse lunge feels a bit weird-i feel like roundhouse-squat-recenter self might work better.

But it's a leg workout, so it has just the right amount.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's not that bad if you're controlling your kicks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Came up with a leg exercise this week that I think was pretty effective. Some of the students said they've done similar exercises at previous schools:
  1. Front kick, land your foot in front of you, dip your other knee into a lunge. Kick-lunge-kick-lunge, all the way down the mat.
  3. Side squat into a step-behind side kick. Go down the mat on one leg, come back on the other.
  4. From a side stance, do a normal squat, and then back kick. Squat and back kick with the other leg.
  5. Side squat into step-behind hook kick. Go down the mat on one leg, come back on the other.
  6. Step forward into side stance, do a normal squat, and then spin hook kick. (Our spin hook kicks we follow through all the way back, if you land yours in front of you, then skip the "step forward"). Continue Step-Squat-Spin Hook, or Squat-Spin Hook, depending on your style.
This proved to be an effective leg workout, even with just one set of each kick. Things we did not do, but I could see being good additions:
  • Lunge, with ax kick, crescent kick, or twist kick. Regular versions of side kick or hook kick would work well here, too.
  • Side stance, normal squat into tornado kick. If you follow through all the way around this will chain well, if you land in front you may want to step back once and then repeat.
  • Side stance, normal squat into pop jumps, like a pop 360 roundhouse, pop jump spin hook, pop back kick, pop 360 hook
We often do some derivation of these during warmups. Great drills to get the blood circulating.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think its a difference in the ways roundhouse is done between style

We retain control of our foot. Sometimes it goes in front of us and we combo with a roundhouse from the other leg, sometimes it goes behind us and we combo with another roundhouse from the same leg, sometimes it goes in front of us and we turn into a spinning kick, sometimes it stays up for another kick. Lots of options if you have control over it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We retain control of our foot. Sometimes it goes in front of us and we combo with a roundhouse from the other leg, sometimes it goes behind us and we combo with another roundhouse from the same leg, sometimes it goes in front of us and we turn into a spinning kick, sometimes it stays up for another kick. Lots of options if you have control over it.
Yup, I know the TKD method for roundhouse kick-it's actually the first method I learned. I don't practice it anymore, so I forgot you guys throw them like that initially. Currently, pulling them back is the tertiary choice for me, and not something I'm likely to do in the air, so that part of the drill would be awkward.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup, I know the TKD method for roundhouse kick-it's actually the first method I learned. I don't practice it anymore, so I forgot you guys throw them like that initially. Currently, pulling them back is the tertiary choice for me, and not something I'm likely to do in the air, so that part of the drill would be awkward.

It's the same principle as a punch. You don't leave your hand out after a punch. You recoil it to keep from being grabbed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the same principle as a punch. You don't leave your hand out after a punch. You recoil it to keep from being grabbed.
Yup, I get the principle. Like I said, it's how I first learned to do the kick. Just not how I do it nowadays, so for me the drill would be weird. But that shouldn't be an issue in your TKD class. Different strokes and all that.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started with CMA roundhouse kick. Later on I moved into TKD roundhouse kick, and then move into MT roundhouse kick. Today, I never pull my roundhouse kick back for the following reasons:

- Keeping pulling my kick back is bad for my knee joint in the long run.
- Develop that "go through" motion.
- Use roundhouse kick to set up side kick.
- Use my kick to set up punch.
- Use my kick to close the distance.

That body spinning just make me to feel great.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started with CMA roundhouse kick. Later on I moved into TKD roundhouse kick, and then move into MT roundhouse kick. Today, I never pull my roundhouse kick back for the following reasons:

I'm not talking about putting the foot behind me. I'm saying control the recoil and keep your balance. I've had no knee problems, no problems with power, no problems setting up punches or closing distance using this style of kick.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

- Use roundhouse kick to set up side kick.

Those are my four reasons for changing, and in that exact order, from biggest reason to smallest reason

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do much of these with kids to adults as well as with our 60 Plus group. Great leg strengthening and for balance.
We have several other variations like your spins but not with our 60 Plus group.
Sprawl to jumping kicks or knees.
Forward shoulder roll to jumping kicks or knees.
Start from your knees, spring to your feet and immediate spring into a jumping kick or knee

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that bad if you're controlling your kicks.
That might depend also on some specific bits of how the kick is typically done. Some finish through more with the hips, which would make the lunge more awkward.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey skribs, have been quite unwell of late but really needed to move today, and wanted to do some MA related stuff, so had a go at the first 4 of your exercises, loved em ;). Only did 10 total of each (5 per leg) but was still a good movement combination.

I remember coming up with the front kick to lunge last year as I was gonna incorporate that into the kids classes but never got round to it doing it there. Love how it takes each leg through a nice big range of motion with a stretch.

Good stuff!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point, I need to put something like this together. I'd just steal this one, but we don't do all those kicks (hook kick is entirely missing, for instance).

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At some point, I need to put something like this together. I'd just steal this one, but we don't do all those kicks (hook kick is entirely missing, for instance).

Now's a perfect time to add it!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now's a perfect time to add it!
My knees are trying to convince me that's something I should leave for some junior instructor. Problem is, there's nobody on track for that. I think my knees are just hoping I'll forget.

Latest Discussions