What do you think of this drill?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the drill I came up with when leading class this week. I took 4 of the Century Wavemaster stand-up kicking bags, and lined them up about 2-3 feet apart from each other. In between each of them (and in front of the first one), I put a small kicking pad as an obstacle. The general concept of the gauntlet was lateral movement: jump over obstacle, kick the target, zig and zag and repeat. I tried to build up the difficulty level with each drill, but every once in a while I'd throw an easy one in.

For example:
  1. Jump over the obstacle with both feet, kick with inside leg
  2. Jump over the obstacle with outside leg (or step over target for those who aren't sure) and land in the chamber position to kick with the inside leg
  3. Jump or step over as in #2, but instead of kicking with the inside leg, jumping kick with the outside leg
  4. Add an extra step to #3 to switch back to the inside leg
  5. Mental break: jump over the obstacle and 1-2 punch the target
  6. Jump or step over with the outside leg, pass the inside leg through and back kick with the outside leg
  7. Jump or step over with the inside leg and back kick with the outside leg
  8. Repeat #6, but for Tornado Kick
  9. Repeat #7, but for Tornado Kick
  10. Mental break #2: jump over the obstacle, 1-2 punch and roundhouse kick the target

After that, I let them freestyle a bit. Some things they came up with:
  • Do #2, but kick while jumping over the obstacle instead of after
  • Double back kick (i.e. side kick + back kick in one jump) while jumping over the obstacle
  • Jump over the obstacle and double-roundhouse kick
  • Do one of #6-9, but instead of stepping through, roundhouse kick like in #2
It seemed very well received in class.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like exercises like these as a break from other training. They present a nice challenge, develop mobility and balance, and let folks practice with a bit of flash if they like. I don't know that they develop anything from a fight perspective you can't develop with more common exercises, but I like them anyway.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like exercises like these as a break from other training. They present a nice challenge, develop mobility and balance, and let folks practice with a bit of flash if they like. I don't know that they develop anything from a fight perspective you can't develop with more common exercises, but I like them anyway.
I think with kids they'll learn more from stuff like this, because theyll be more interested in this then throwing 200 roundhouse kicks

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The thing is, even though it seems like an obstacle course, it was purely a lateral agility exercise. The obstacles were merely to give you a starting point and ending point for the lateral movement, and help provide a frame of reference for where you start and stop.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That last part (the interest level) is at least as true of me at 49, my friend.
I think its true of basically all of us. But i would wager you'd be more able to focus and complete 200 roundhouse kicks in a row than a 10 year old

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great drill. I'm psyched the kids liked it. Bet it was fun.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a great drill to me.

These types of drills are great exercise and fun for most ages and levels.

Keep it up

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions