What do you think of Ruger?

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for handgun affordability. Springfield makes a nice 9mm in its M series. Reliable and accurate and several hundred less than its big name competition.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I could have just one, it'd be the Lee Enfield I think - it's the iconic rifle for me.

Are you thinking of the bolt-action .30-06? I think that was WWI era, might have been a training rifle for WWII? If so, that's my Dad's rifle, that's how he described it to me tho I can't remember the particulars. He had the barrel shortened a bit and some of the stock removed at the end to lighten it, but it's still surprisingly heavy.

edit: my mistake, it's not the same rifle. The American M1917 Enfield was apparently based on the British Lee-Enfield, and chambered for the .30-06 round. I did a little Wikipedia search.

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the rifle I mean. Mike:

http://www.oryansroughnecks.org/weapons.html

My granddad had one of these under his bed - I never found out what happened to it after he died, I am sad to say. I got his medals, his watch, his walking stick and his hat but the Lee Enfield just disappeared :(. As that was the gun that he (along with his squad mates) had used to shoot back at strafing German fighters on the beaches at Dunkirk I am more upset than words can convey that it must have passed out of our families hands and back into those of the authorities.

It still brings tears to my eyes now as I recall him telling me of that day - being so little then I did not appreciate the sheer reckless, desperate, anger-fuelled courage it took those men to do such a thing after they had had some of their own torn up by those fighters.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the rifle I mean. Mike:

http://www.oryansroughnecks.org/weapons.html

My granddad had one of these under his bed - I never found out what happened to it after he died, I am sad to say. I got his medals, his watch, his walking stick and his hat but the Lee Enfield just disappeared :(. As that was the gun that he (along with his squad mates) had used to shoot back at strafing German fighters on the beaches at Dunkirk I am more upset than words can convey that it must have passed out of our families hands and back into those of the authorities.

It still brings tears to my eyes now as I recall him telling me of that day - being so little then I did not appreciate the sheer reckless, desperate, anger-fuelled courage it took those men to do such a thing after they had had some of their own torn up by those fighters.

yup, that's the one I found on Wikipedia, and cross-referenced it against the US M1917 Enfield. My Dad's is the M1917. Similar rifles, but not the same thing. he hasn't used it in decades, he might even be willing to pass it along to me if I were to ask, but transporting it to California from Wisconsin would prove to be difficult. I believe I'd either need to drive it myself across the country, or have it shipped from one gun shop to another gun shop, and there might be some regulations and stuff. I believe it's not allowed to ship weapons except between legitimate gun businesses.

Not sure exactly where I'd do any shooting with it around here, but I'd look around and see what I can find. If I were to take ownership of it, it might be largely symbolic and not so active. Definitely don't want it to ever leave the family, tho. He's also got a 4x scope of some kind on it, used it for hunting deer when he was young, lost interest in that kind of hunt (he only hunts birds now) and never really used it again except to let me shoot it once in a while when I was in high school.

Well, when the time comes, we'll see what we do with it. I've got four brothers, don't know if any of them would have any interest in it either.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could anyone please let me know what you think of Ruger? I had their 10/22 when I was young, it was a good little gun. What do you think of their Mini-14, Mini-30 and their handguns?

Thanks

The GP100 .357 magnum is built like a tank. The kind of gun you shoot all your life and then put it in your will to pass down. The SR9 and SR40 look interesting as well.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a "6 gun" guy, I had Ruger single six in 22 mag and 45 cal, a double action .357 Security Six and a Redhawk .44 mag for hunting. Nothing on the market compared to them imo.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's another question to everyone. I'm kinda settling on the Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30. I've seen them in the basic model which is wood stock and black barrel etc., and I've seen the model with dark synthetic stock and stainless barrel. What does everyone think of the difference?

I like the look of the wood and black barrel, but I like the notion of the durability of the synthetic stock and the stainless. The synthetic stock I guess should be pretty much indestructable, and the stainless barrel etc. should be more resistant to corrosion. Is it worth it? I've never had a stock crack or break, but I've never dropped a rifle on the concrete or anything either. I've also never had a rifle get rusty, regular cleaning and safe storage should eliminate that. But is the stainless a nice addition to make sure corrosion never sets in?

When I looked at the synthetic/stainless model I found it more attractive than I expected. I thought the stainless would be really bright, like chrome plated or something, but it was kinda muted, dull in color and I liked that.

I also like the feel of a wooden stock better than the synthetic.

Is it possible to darken a stainless barrel in some way?

So anyway, what are peoples thoughts and opinions on these variables? Do you have a strong leaning toward one or the other, or should I just go with the one that feels best in my hands and looks nicest to me?

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both the wood and the synthetic stocks can serve you well. Synthetics are pretty tough but, wood will survive just fine. My hunting rifle is a wood stock and it has been through &%$*. It still looks fine and my accuracy is unaffected. Wood stocks can swell with changes in humidity but with proper acclimatization it is not an insurmountable obstacle.

As far as stainless steel....it is more corrosion resistant but, it is usually more expensive. Yes it can be "darkened". You could have it parkerized (or do that yourself if you feel up to it) as well as a variety of other paints can be sprayed on the stock and barrel to get a "camo" or other type of effect.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both the wood and the synthetic stocks can serve you well. Synthetics are pretty tough but, wood will survive just fine. My hunting rifle is a wood stock and it has been through &%$*. It still looks fine and my accuracy is unaffected. Wood stocks can swell with changes in humidity but with proper acclimatization it is not an insurmountable obstacle.

As far as stainless steel....it is more corrosion resistant but, it is usually more expensive. Yes it can be "darkened". You could have it parkerized (or do that yourself if you feel up to it) as well as a variety of other paints can be sprayed on the stock and barrel to get a "camo" or other type of effect.

thanks, and good point about the cost difference. In this case it seems like the difference in cost is not great and would not be a deterrent if I decided to go that route.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the synthetic with stainless, but corrosion usually isn't a problem for someone who takes care of their weapon. I had the same dilema with my Redhawk. I like the walnut grips for looks, but the pacmyer grips were much more practicle from a performance standpoint. Bottom line is, like any other tool, it has to fit you and be comfortable. If that's the wood, that's what I would go with.
As to your other question, I've blued many barrels, but never tried to blue or brown a stainless. I think that by the way it's made, that wouldn't work. If you have a shooting range nearby that rents both versions, I would go that route until you were confident in a decision one way or the other.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The GP100 .357 magnum is built like a tank. The kind of gun you shoot all your life and then put it in your will to pass down.

This is certainly true. Even though Ruger's handguns of that era are cast, and not forged, Sturm Ruger perfected the art of investment grade casting, that resulted in frames that are easily just as durable as their forged counterparts.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ruger is definitely one of the best gun companies out there. I've got a bunch of Rugers and they're among my favorite companies. I used to be a big fan of Smith & Wesson and I still am but now I like Ruger even better. A Ruger of just about any kind will perform just as well as any other gun but this is especially true with the revolvers which I feel is Ruger's strong point. Some people will spend a ton of money for a Kimber or a "gasp" Wilson Combat but I don't see the point when you can get a Ruger that does just as well for a much lower price.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a ruger 10/22 for plinking a all weather mini thirty for target practice purpose as well since it shoots the same round as allot of "assault type rifles" but attract allot less attention at the range and a ruger kp90 (45 acp loaded with some special hollow points) for my home defense gun.

I've put thousands of rounds thru each one and only have had a few misfires due to the bullets being bad (faulty primers).

My only gripe with the mini thirty is none of the aftermarket 30 round clips seem to feed rite but I will be doing a little gun smithing on the mini thirty to hopefully fix this issue but that's not the guns fault it's the pooStandards of the after market companies

If your looking for an affordable reliable hand gun or rifle you can't go wrong with ruger but if its for conceal carry there are better choices for compacts that cost quite a bit more.

Last edited:

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I forgot I also have a 44 magnum super black hawk that is a super accurate hand gun but I prefer my dads 41 mag super black hawk I think its a bit more accurate.

vincymull

White Belt
Reaction score
I like Ruger more and more. This seems like a reasonable choice for the average Joe over the expensive Larue PredatOR and Scar 17.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have only ever owned a Ruger P-85. I love it. Probably my favorite gun, sloppy trigger and all. Big, ugly but dependable.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to own a P-94 and I still have a P-95. As Hudson69 said, they're kind of clunky, but rock solid reliable, and quite accurate.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could anyone please let me know what you think of Ruger? I had their 10/22 when I was young, it was a good little gun. What do you think of their Mini-14, Mini-30 and their handguns?

Thanks

I would say that Ruger is one of the best firearms companies around. Especially with their handguns.

Latest Discussions