What do you think of Ruger?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could anyone please let me know what you think of Ruger? I had their 10/22 when I was young, it was a good little gun. What do you think of their Mini-14, Mini-30 and their handguns?

Thanks

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Solidly built. I have been looking at the Gunsite Scout rifle recently. The Mini-14 and Mini-30 aren't bad but, they are fairly specific type firearms. Any particular model you are looking at? Intended purpose?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
On eof my favorites handguns is my Ruger P94. Last year for the high capacity magazines. Very accurate. I usually shoot 3.5" groups, rapid fire, open sights and 3" groups with the lazer.
I've put probably 5000 rounds through it, and I've had TWO failures.
One was an extraction failure, firing some really hot loads. Case swelled.
One was a failure to feed. That occured after I'd been at the range long enough to put 300 or so rounds through the gun, without cleaning it. Got a bit gunky...

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Love my P85 9mm. Never had a jam despite the stress I put it through. Have owned it for years.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My first pistol was a P90 .45 stainless, clunky, heavy, but will go bang every time and can handle just about any ammo you can throw at it (except Wolf, it hates feeding that round headed crap ammo.) Still in my safe, too good a gun to sell for the $350 or so it would sell for.

I have 2 10/22s, one kitted out as a Liberty training rifle and the other is going to be aftermarketed into something silly and fun. Great rifles.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could anyone please let me know what you think of Ruger? I had their 10/22 when I was young, it was a good little gun. What do you think of their Mini-14, Mini-30 and their handguns?

Thanks

The Mini-14 is a fun plinker, and probably has the best reliability of any .223 semiautomatic rifle, since it's cut to looser tolerances. While it's probably not going to give you out of the box MOA accuracy, it's also quite inexpensive, and for combat purposes, has plenty of long gun accuracy.

The only real knock I have against it, is the thin walled factory barrel. It heats up rather quickly, and can throw off your accuracy as a result. The gun is basically best used as a slow-fire rifle.

That being said, if someone finds the Mini-14 to be lacking in accuracy, he can always go for one of Ruger's AR rifles, which are very, very nice.

Their handguns show quite a variety...

I've owned a P89 and P95, and can attest that the old P-series guns are bulky, blocky, and heavy. They're not really the concealable type, and have the ergonomics of a brick. That being said, they're also exceptionally durable and reliable, being able to digest bunny fart lead ball reloads, all the way to the hottest NATO-spec loads. They're actually great handguns for someone who wants to fire his / her first centerfire pistol, since they're quite forgiving of even the limpest of wrists.

The other beefs I have with the P-series is that the grips are slippery. The P89/90/91/93/94 series have slick Xenoy plastic grip panels, although this is easily remedied with the use of a Hogue replacement grip (doesn't add any real thickness to the grip). The P95 / 97 uses a one piece polyurethane frame, and is also slippery, and you'd probably want to use a slip-on grip such as a Hogue Handall overgrip. Also, the magazine release button on the P95 is a bit too easy to engage, that a casual bump can sometimes cause the release to trigger.

The newer Ruger handguns are a different beast entirely, thanks to the fact that Bill Ruger is no longer around to impede progress. They now make a wide range of polymer framed handguns that are ergonomic, lightweight, and still have the excellent reliability. In addition to this, they're finally come out with truly pocket sized guns, such as the LCP (semiauto) and LCR (J-frame sized revolver).

Their .22 LR pistols are famous for their excellence. The best way I can describe them is to shoot them at the range, and see for yourself.

Ruger has come a long, long way ever since the last decade. It's no secret that the traitorous old man was stonewalling any progress that the company could have made, and now that the son is leading the company, Ruger has taken a very bold step forward into becoming a much more complete company.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've just been considering acquiring a couple of firearms in my general interest in all things weapons. I don't have a specific hunting agenda nor a specific home defense agenda in mind. At this point, it would just be target shooting for the fun of it. I know Ruger is a US company and I recall my old 10/22 being very reliable, so I thought I might give Ruger my first considerations if I go ahead and get something.

I appreciate the comments and thoughts.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I much prefer the mini 30 over the mini 14. I have had a lot better accuracy out of the mini 30. that said my experience with the weapons made by Ruger Arms Co. have been positive so far. for some weapons I prefer other brands because they have the design I like better. but Ruger, Colt, Winchester, Remington, Walther, Sig, and most any other manufacturer like them make a dependable weapon. some models better then others. I would suggest if you can you go out and shoot a few in pistol or rifle and see which weapon feels best and works best for you.

Example, the Glock is a good pistol, but it does not point right for me! but a colt or browining or what have you in a 1911A1 frame does!. so some will fit you better and shoot better for you then others. like a blade or stick its a personal thing.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
anybody care to give me a guesstimate of what a Mini-14 or Mini-30 might cost? Basic model, Nato round compatibility for the Mini-14, but no special stock rebuilds or anything like that, just an off-the-shelf basic model.

Thanks!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just did a quick search and I'm a little shocked at the prices, higher than I expected. The baseline wood stocked Mini-14 is running $650 over at Impact Guns. Add in shipping and FFL transfer fees. The plus side is I don't think the Mini-14 falls under the CA assault weapon classification.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
thanks, I'm at work right now and a lot of those websites are blocked. Need to do a little searching at home.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a Ruger 357 double action revolver with a 6 in barrel. It functions very well and is quite accurate on the target range.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just did a quick search and I'm a little shocked at the prices, higher than I expected. The baseline wood stocked Mini-14 is running $650 over at Impact Guns. Add in shipping and FFL transfer fees. The plus side is I don't think the Mini-14 falls under the CA assault weapon classification.

hmmm... I had no idea what it might cost, but I was kinda hoping to be in the 350-450 range. I would need to buy some kind of a lock-up/gun safe too, or my wife will not agree to it.

Might be a case where Walmart might have it cheaper, but out of principle I refuse to shop there.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmm... I had no idea what it might cost, but I was kinda hoping to be in the 350-450 range. I would need to buy some kind of a lock-up/gun safe too, or my wife will not agree to it.

Might be a case where Walmart might have it cheaper, but out of principle I refuse to shop there.

well not sure what principle makes walmart um-shopable for you, but it is your wallet, where I live they seem to run about $600. partly because the demand is high from worries about new bans... and if the Mini 14 is not considered an assault weapon well its more one then many weapons they consider one as it does use an assault cartridge, but then is not selectable and that is one of the other parameters a real assault weapon must be. ( an assault weapon must be both selectable to full auto, and use an intermediate cartridge such as the .223, or 7.62X39MM.)

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well not sure what principle makes walmart um-shopable for you, but it is your wallet, where I live they seem to run about $600. partly because the demand is high from worries about new bans... and if the Mini 14 is not considered an assault weapon well its more one then many weapons they consider one as it does use an assault cartridge, but then is not selectable and that is one of the other parameters a real assault weapon must be. ( an assault weapon must be both selectable to full auto, and use an intermediate cartridge such as the .223, or 7.62X39MM.)

I just feel that Walmart follows some despicable business practices, in terms of how they treat both their employees and their suppliers. I won't give them my business, even if shopping "local" costs me more. That's just my stance on it, for what it's worth.

thanks for the Assault Weapon info, I wasn't sure what the parameters were. I thought perhaps that a semi-auto might fall into that category, but apparently not. That should make life easier if I decide to own one of these.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In your price range you have the base model Saiga rifles (think AK in civilian clothes), or a surplus SKS.
http://www.riflegear.com/p-803-saiga-rifle-762x39.aspx

A bit above your price range, but you could also join the appropriate clubs to qualify for the Civilian Marksmanship Program and purchase a surplus M-1 Garand.
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

interesting options. Garand is 30.06, yes? My dad has an old Enfield 30.06 bolt-action that he used for deer hunting when he was young. I used to shoot with it at a rock quarry/target range when I was in high school. That is a serious weapon! Would actually like to have one.

I've gotta be selective about this. I think my wife won't tolerate it if I start collecting a lot of firearms. I wouldn't mind having one or two rifles and a handgun ultimately, but I'll need to be gradual about it and selective about what I want to keep. A runaway collection just isn't gonna fly in my household. To be honest, when I mentioned it to her I was surprised that she didn't say "no way!" immediately. I just told her I was thinking about it, not sure if I even really want to do it, but am giving it some thought, but if she isn't comfortable or if she objects to it, then I won't. She said she doesn't object, but I can tell I've gotta keep it kinda minimalist. She tolerates my sword/tomahawk/dagger/big knife/spear/archery collection, but firearms are a different thing and I know she won't be so tolerant of it if I start pushing it.

If I can get her interested in shooting as well, then she might need a couple pieces of her own, being a leftie and all. hmmm....

$600-$650 is not out of my ability, I could (and will) pony up the dough if I decide that is the piece that I want. It's just a bit more than I was hoping for, that's all.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you thinking 'historical significance' or 'present day practicality' in your thoughts on putting together a selection of firearms, Mike?

For me, if such a thing were possible in this country for an ordinary person, I'd be thinking along the lines of an SMLE (possibly a Mk III*), an SLR, an M16, an AK47, an MP40 ... hmmm, list is getting long already :lol:. If I could have just one, it'd be the Lee Enfield I think - it's the iconic rifle for me.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you thinking 'historical significance' or 'present day practicality' in your thoughts on putting together a selection of firearms, Mike?

For me, if such a thing were possible in this country for an ordinary person, I'd be thinking along the lines of an SMLE (possibly a Mk III*), an SLR, an M16, an AK47, an MP40 ... hmmm, list is getting long already :lol:. If I could have just one, it'd be the Lee Enfield I think - it's the iconic rifle for me.

yeah, in a perfect world I'd have two of each. But really, when the Zombie Apocalypse hits, I can only carry one rifle and at most, two handguns plus ammo, plus a sword, plus a tomahawk, plus...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ever consider a lever action? A Marlin 336A would be right in your price range if you buy it from a private seller. Most I have seen used go for $350-$400.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions