What Do You Think Are The Best Self Defense Weapons?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well...
Hornady sells their zombie ammo. It's exactly the same as their Critical Defense (excellent ammo, and what I have in my carry guns) except that the plastic cap is green instead of red.
The RIP ammo is just a gimmick and I expect it to vanish.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.
That's the ammo I was thinking about when I said that. If you were to ever need to defend yourself and used that I can see some prosecutors trying to paint the picture of you living out some fantasy zombie killer and not really needed self defense. I was once told by a lawyer "the facts are not nearly as important as the impression." So even though it's the same ammo the impression that can be painted could cause you more headaches then it's worth.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the ammo I was thinking about when I said that. If you were to ever need to defend yourself and used that I can see some prosecutors trying to paint the picture of you living out some fantasy zombie killer and not really needed self defense. I was once told by a lawyer "the facts are not nearly as important as the impression." So even though it's the same ammo the impression that can be painted could cause you more headaches then it's worth.

Show me cases where this has actually happened...

The same argument has been made against carrying hollow points. After all, it's more lethal than FMJ, so you're a blood crazed killer.

The same argument has been made against accurizing a gun, or just a trigger job.

The same argument has been made against cerakoting a gun, or changing the slide cover to one with a decoration on it.

None of these arguments seem to have any factual basis, and I will continue to carry hollow points. And make my guns as accurate as possible. The bedside gun (a Glock 41) has a 2 lb trigger. And the slide cover has a "Punisher" skull on it. And I may have some smart-*** but funny quote like "smile and wait for flash" put on the suppressor.

In the unlikely event that I'm forced to use a gun outside the range, here in the home of the "Make My Day" law, I'll trust that my lawyer can ensure the right impression. If the public defender can get a total scumbag released, I have no real worries.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not saying it will. I'm saying why take the chance when regularly packaged ammo will do the sane without the added risk. If you think there are not antigun prosecutors looking to make an example your mistaken. Carry what you want I don't care just don't be surprised if your choice brings extra scrutiny

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jumping into this topic a little late, but I think it's a great question.

As many of you have said: Brain, Awareness, Cell-Phone... etc etc etc etc. Yea, that's cool. But it's a safe answer. We all have those.

I have personally been thinking a lot about personal weapons recently, especially since I actually had to pull my knife recently (second time in my life, first one was over 10 years ago.) I didn't have to open it (which I'll explain in a second), but it was in my hand and ready to "go".

I personally carry a 4" folder (legal in CT). My favorite is the Emerson Combat Karambit with the wave, but I have noticed people tend to notice it more due to the profile of the knife. My EDC is typically the Cold Steel AK-47.

But due to my recent experience. I have a few thoughts on knives and personal weapons.

1.) I have spend a lot of time training on deploying my knife. I understand and am confident getting it into my hand the way I need to. So, I think that if you are going to carry a knife, this is one of the most important things. Being familiar with your blade.

2.) You don't need to actually deploy your knife to make it effective. It is an excellent blunt object similar to a kukaton or other small blunt object. Along those lines I decided to buy a smith and wesson tactical pen. This is a nice option as well.

3.) I don't necessarily need to carry a knife, a tactical pen, kukaton or other. But, I am happy that I do.

4.) Flashlights are probably my favorite.

When I worked security I also carried the Surefire E2D Defender flashlight and own a few of these. (Bedroom, Car, & Carry). The profile of the light is hard to carry in your pocket. But, it depends on what I wear or where I am going I use it. I traveled to Spain recently to Valencia to train, and this is what I brought with me.

I really like the flashlight because it's extremely bright and when shined in the eyes is causes disruption, quick blindness, and can also be used as a blunt object. When working security the flashlight was an awesome option because it seems to just "stop" people, cause them to put their hands up (to stop the light in their eyes), and changed their "mood". I NEVER actually had to hit anyone with the flashlight after. Some would get pissed, but they never decided to take it any further.

When I pulled my knife a few months ago, 2 people in masks and large camo jackets came walking down a long private driveway into a private party. It was a couple of weeks before Halloween. The didn't say a word and kept advancing. I interjected. Long story short, it turned out to be the drunk brother of the host and his friend (they weren't supposed to be there). They thought they were being funny.... it wasn't. Looking back - I am glad I didn't open the knife, but glad it was on me at the same time. Putting it in my hand and advancing on them, changed their mood quickly.

In my experience, when alcohol is involved, people tend to go for their knife or weapon much more quickly. Booze breaks down inhibitions which can make it fun when talking to the ladies or but bad when violence makes an appearance. Side note: I was not drinking that day (driving) and glad I had the wherewithal to not actually open the knife.

Lastly, I am a huge fan of weapons of opportunity. Fight "levelers". I always ask myself: "What can I smaller, weaker person do to level the fight if attacked by a larger person or a group of people?". Depending on what you have available, there's a lot! It's just creativity and understanding that what you carry can be a weapon. Purse, Pen, Backpack, Keys, Wallet, Phone (weapon), Bottle, Chair... .the list goes on. Things can be used as distractions, objects to strike with, or both. Again, I'll go back the flashlight because it has both. It can distract / deter your attacker with the light and hit them with the blunt object.

So - I think there is no right answer to "what is the best weapon". It's what you are comfortable with, combined with your training and combined with your mindset. If you are someone who parties a lot - I would NOT suggest carrying a knife. If your job requires you to be in difficult situations or has you traveling to places that are difficult, then carry something that is appropriate for that situation. This is not the Zombie Apocalypse - yet :) So there's no need to be armed to the teeth. Carry something that you know how to use, is effective, but also not truly deadly.

Thanks, Matt

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the situation devolves to the point that weapons are needed, I believe in overkill. I carry a knife, sure (mostly used for cuticles and opening packages). Usually it's either the Benchmade Auto Stryker or Camillus Cuda, but honestly I am extremely unlikely to ever reach for the knife in a self defense situation. Instead of reaching into my front pocket for a knife, I'll reach a few inches further to the rear and use whatever gun I'm carrying that day. Most commonly that is either a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 or a Glock 26.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you had to carry any weapon for self defense besides a gun, what would you use?
Well I do carry a gun when appropriate with the lawful credentials. Since I cannot all the time I study martial arts. But to answer your question in the context it was asked, I would carry a 6' wooden pole or well made solid wooden cane. You get hitting power, defense, light weight and does not look too far out of place as a weapon.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Streetready,
I won't say to much of the obvious like being aware of your surroundings(which is one of the greatest self defense tactic you can arm yourself with)avoiding bad areas etc etc.

Self defense is a pretty wide defination because I think you are more likely to need to defend against flat tires, accidents, emergency situations over someone trying to rob you.

I carry with me a knife, not really for stabbing someone but something to cut a seat belt or cut rope or cloth for first aid. My cell phone and thats about it.
My father-in-law in China carries 兩節棍 Liang Jie Gun also called Nunchaku, butterfly knife, and a kutoban, he also was in the Republic of China Marine Corp so he can handle himself fine.

I think carrying any weapon without proper knowledge of use is dangerous, pulling a weapon on someone without the intent on using it might escalate the attacker to use lethal force on you even with your own weapon so something to consider with weapons.
I agree, the best offense is a great defense. Situational awareness is very important.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appended to mention this thread to my wife and her answer as soon as I said the name of the thread was: A double barrel 12 gauge or a 45 automatic with hollow points.
I tend to think she brakes things down to the most basic and deadliest of situations and options.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appended to mention this thread to my wife and her answer as soon as I said the name of the thread was: A double barrel 12 gauge or a 45 automatic with hollow points.
I tend to think she brakes things down to the most basic and deadliest of situations and options.

Gotta love a practical woman.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
No gun? A flamethrower then mohahaha!
ECBC9126A9DDED80DDD1BA19129359DF9E13B7E9

Anyway depends on the situation, I have carried a stick that I could explain away as a walking stick (icy roads in the country, not to mention some unstable people) for instance.

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting indeed.
In my aspect first I would use avoidance and awareness to actually not get into conflict. if need be even run for it. Running is effective and requires training.
If that is not possible one needs to assess the degree of harm aimed at you and the corresponding force you need to free yourself and in many cases ensuring you are not using excessive force or you may have issues with the Law.
A knife is effective but one really must have trained how to fight with one, allowing there may be that person out there who may have had basic martial art training.
I like to rely on situational weapons which the environment provides there and then and what I carry in my pocket, ie a coin if thrown with high kinetic energy can open up a defensive attack, followed up with multiple strikes.
Your attacker may have a very high pain threshold, and this if often not considered, they can overcome the most painful of strikes, as a rule never let your guard down even when you have struck a sensitive area, ones distraction can be ones undoing , using multiple very fast strikes try for a knockout blow, and then get the hell out of there.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you had to carry any weapon for self defense besides a gun, what would you use?

I live in Michigan. The law on the subject is kind of open to interpretation. It's all about intent. I don't mean my likeliness to get in trouble for carrying something depends on the nature of the object. I mean I can literally carry a huge hunting knife or a big stick anywhere, as long as I don't plan on hurting anyone xD There are a couple things that are illegal (automatic knives, gravity knives, double sided knives, a few other things), but that's it.
I'm a huge fan of walking sticks. I practice with them sticks and staffs of multiple varieties all the time, and I make them too. I made "walking" sticks for my most of my close family and friends. I also live in the wilderness. I carry a jo or bo length stick everywhere, but they are justifiable walking sticks. The jo length is more preferable for walking in more urban areas. Wooden weapons are my go to for anything. I also carry a knife.
Because I live in the wilderness, I can getaway with carrying big sticks everywhere. Need to protect myself from coyotes and such. I can see this not being the solution for most people. I've found that nunchuks are highly concealable, but of highly potent length and power when deployed. Not legal everywhere though. Questionable intent too.
A kubotan really eliminates the whole intent thing from my game. Nobody ever went out looking to do harm with their "keychain". But I see it losing to a guy with a knife.
For the car, a straight tire iron can be a great choice. Acceptable intent, intimidating, can be used with one hand, and hefty. If you have a short one, it's still hits really hard.

A coat! It's surprisingly hard to cut through fabric. Especially certain kinds. Wearing a coat will protect your arms from most cuts, and even small stabs. Mitigates a lot of percussive force too, again, depends on the material.
I've never taken the training, but I understand that people can also disarm other people of their weapons using their coats. The Manly art of Bartitsu! Look it up. It's awesome. Lots of stuff on coats, canes, and umbrellas. :D
iu

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you live in a country that allows you to carry a weapon all well and good. Thing is you have to "prove' in a court of law your actions were self defence. As a kid I had a pocket knife in my pocket and happened to walk into a gang fight outside a disco and got attacked. Holding my own until we all got arrested. Emptied my pockets out at the station and I was in trouble. I insisted that I had not drawn the knife but they said its "intent". If you have it on you? You probably intended to use it. Can you use a big stick in a car?

Its 2015. I live in the jungle. Not in the car but have weapons all over the place. King Cobras coming through the garden where I live. Lizards over a meter long trying to steal my chickens. Everyone carries a blade everywhere they go except shopping in town.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How about a telescoping baton? They are light, compact, sturdy, can fit in a pocket when retracted, and are surprisingly painful! They come in various lengths, but I'm pretty sure they are illegal in most places in America. There isn't much to be argued as far as intent is concerned though. It's obviously designed to open veritable cans of whooped buttocks.

upload_2015-3-30_14-14-6.jpeg

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show me cases where this has actually happened...

The same argument has been made against carrying hollow points. After all, it's more lethal than FMJ, so you're a blood crazed killer.

The same argument has been made against accurizing a gun, or just a trigger job.

The same argument has been made against cerakoting a gun, or changing the slide cover to one with a decoration on it.

None of these arguments seem to have any factual basis, and I will continue to carry hollow points. And make my guns as accurate as possible. The bedside gun (a Glock 41) has a 2 lb trigger. And the slide cover has a "Punisher" skull on it. And I may have some smart-*** but funny quote like "smile and wait for flash" put on the suppressor.

In the unlikely event that I'm forced to use a gun outside the range, here in the home of the "Make My Day" law, I'll trust that my lawyer can ensure the right impression. If the public defender can get a total scumbag released, I have no real worries.

You can never have too much accuracy! Hitting what you are shooting at is extremely important second only to not missing and hitting somebody you were not shooting at.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you live in a country that allows you to carry a weapon all well and good. Thing is you have to "prove' in a court of law your actions were self defence. As a kid I had a pocket knife in my pocket and happened to walk into a gang fight outside a disco and got attacked. Holding my own until we all got arrested. Emptied my pockets out at the station and I was in trouble. I insisted that I had not drawn the knife but they said its "intent". If you have it on you? You probably intended to use it. Can you use a big stick in a car?

Its 2015. I live in the jungle. Not in the car but have weapons all over the place. King Cobras coming through the garden where I live. Lizards over a meter long trying to steal my chickens. Everyone carries a blade everywhere they go except shopping in town.

Dude, it sounds like you should be carrying a super illegal machete. Or a long stick at the very least. Do you carry something?
Maybe something that can be easily disposed? The telescoping baton I just posted is easy to get rid of quickly. Throw it in some bushes or something and you'd have a hard time finding it, even if you knew it was there. Especially in the dark. My dad once told me a story of doing exactly that, even as police were walking towards him. :D

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dude, it sounds like you should be carrying a super illegal machete. Or a long stick at the very least. Do you carry something?
Maybe something that can be easily disposed? The telescoping baton I just posted is easy to get rid of quickly. Throw it in some bushes or something and you'd have a hard time finding it, even if you knew it was there. Especially in the dark. My dad once told me a story of doing exactly that, even as police were walking towards him. :D

I carry and use all these. Mostly the top and far right one as a pair. Kids carry the middle one to use at school.

bolo.jpg

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I carry and use all these. Mostly the top and far right one as a pair. Kids carry the middle one to use at school.

View attachment 19245

Holy crap. I have clearly underestimated the level badassery that is necessary for your community.
Machete and stick? Hm. That sounds hard to learn. I'm curious now. Is that Kali?
I have found wielding paired weapons possible, but difficult. Does the methodology make it simpler? Do you view each weapon as a separate entity with a different role, or as a 2 parts of the same whole to be used in conjunction with each other? Paired weapons are a bit uncommon and contextually fascinating as to why it is preferred over a different method. :)

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Holy crap. I have clearly underestimated the level badassery that is necessary for your community.
Machete and stick? Hm. That sounds hard to learn. I'm curious now. Is that Kali?
I have found wielding paired weapons possible, but difficult. Does the methodology make it simpler? Do you view each weapon as a separate entity with a different role, or as a 2 parts of the same whole to be used in conjunction with each other? Paired weapons are a bit uncommon and contextually fascinating as to why it is preferred over a different method. :)
All standard Filipino tools. The basis of arnis/escrima. Agricultural and 'other use' if need be. Top one is the usual weapon/agricultural. I like the far left one. Cuts and sweeps. They all have specific use. Most of the imagews on the net are collectors stuff. Difficult to find a good smith. They know little of hardening apart from quenching in water. Dropped in a bath of oil to temper I'm sure would work wonders. Only other thing is that hook shape on the hilt. Gets in the way when you try to grip with the pinky.

I've taken Japanese blades into the jungle to use but as yet have found nothing to beat that kukri shape. Makes a nice 45 deg cut through a 10" banana stem.

Latest Discussions