What do you think about scott Adkins upward side kick?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the side kick that most people know.. This kick will travel upward if he's aiming for the chest, but at a much smaller angel that the other kick.
upload_2020-11-9_16-34-20.png

This is the Side kick that he's discussing as kicking upward. This is leg isn't chambered high, so kicking the chest means that the kick travels upward.
upload_2020-11-9_16-34-58.png

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the side kick that most people know.. This kick will travel upward if he's aiming for the chest, but at a much smaller angel that the other kick.
View attachment 23290

This is the Side kick that he's discussing as kicking upward. This is leg isn't chambered high, so kicking the chest means that the kick travels upward.
View attachment 23291
The difference in these two kick have more to do with his rotation than anything else. Look at his shoulder and hip position.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks very impractical to me. It's not a good posture to recover from
yeah that is a picture of a back kick. How to photos for techniques will often look awkward and confusing. This may help

Here's a better explanation of the two kicks. The differences and similarities.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The difference in these two kick have more to do with his rotation than anything else. Look at his shoulder and hip position.
totally agree. I always rotate my hip for the side kick but it's no where near as much as I do for my back kick.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The upward sidekick works well against a much taller opponent when you're trying to sneak in a kick under his guard.

As for the power - the gentleman holding the shield was never taught how to hold a shield for sidekicks. He looks like he's standing in front of the stove waiting for his soup to heat up.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah that is a picture of a back kick. How to photos for techniques will often look awkward and confusing. This may help

Here's a better explanation of the two kicks. The differences and similarities.

Good video.
I don't think this answers the original post, because I am guessing theses guys are not TKD guys.
IMO most TKD do not back kick that way. My first TKD teacher taught me both ways to do the back kick. From the floor or chambered.
My Kung Fu long fist teacher taught more like the guy's in the video's, from the floor.
Most TKD teachers I have had teach the chambered back kick.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I'm not dogmatic when it comes to mixing techniques. A side back kick curved yeop chagi seems a bit over cooked to me, though.

So don't do it that way. After all, I'm sure you know best, after your 6 years of experience.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He isn't turned away enough with his shoulders for it to be a back kick IMO

First and foremost there is no universally accepted definition as to what is a "Side Kick" and what is a "Back Kick" let alone at what degree of shoulder positioning it is one versus the other. So, most opinions my be equally valid. So, what is your opinion as to the amount of shoulder rotation that would make it one versus the other?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I For me the difference in side vs back kicks based on how much I turn my hips over. .

I agree that the hip position as Adkins shows is telling vis a vis side vs Back kicks. Hips are less turned like a back kick in his crossover step example.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
First and foremost there is no universally accepted definition as to what is a "Side Kick" and what is a "Back Kick" let alone at what degree of shoulder positioning it is one versus the other. So, most opinions my be equally valid. So, what is your opinion as to the amount of shoulder rotation that would make it one versus the other?

Shoulder at 9 o'clock = back kick. 12 o'clock=side kck

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Overrotated side kick.
See now that is like glass half empty or half full. I would call that underrotated side kick or over rotated Back kick or really in my case, neither. I have seen so much debate about hip and shoulder angle (How many degrees of rotation) about what is or is not a "Side Kick" except for technical parameters for a system I differentiate it by direction of rotation or none at all. No body rotation - Side kick. rotate forward - Side Kick rotate backward - Back kick.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See now that is like glass half empty or half full. I would call that underrotated side kick or over rotated Back kick or really in my case, neither. I have seen so much debate about hip and shoulder angle (How many degrees of rotation) about what is or is not a "Side Kick" except for technical parameters for a system I differentiate it by direction of rotation or none at all. No body rotation - Side kick. rotate forward - Side Kick rotate backward - Back kick.

It depends on which direction the kick is starting from. In most cases it would be a rear leg side kick that gets overrotated.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So it's an overrotated side kick until it becomes a back kick? It's never an under-rotated back kick?

It depends on what stance and place on the floor it was launched from.