What do you think about foot pivoting

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by amateur, Dec 19, 2018.

1. kempodisciple

kempodisciple MT Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of him. I never noticed that issue, but most of the people I trained with when we would do 'mma' sparring were judoka, who didn't do many leg takedowns, and not a whole lot of leg kicks. So that might be why.

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    I'm not going to comment on your bodily orifices; what you do with them doesn't concern me in the least, so long as it doesn't bring you into my ER.
    However... both of those people are twisting on the jab. Not a great deal, and I will agree that OVER rotation is a bad thing. But they're twisting.
    As for them being experts.... I don't know. I don't see anything in those videos to me think they're experts. Just putting "expert" in the name of the gym doesn't really count.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Just putting this here.

4. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    A jab can be executed as just an arm-powered punch (what you describe as "arm extension"), but it can also be powered by legs and body. This gets back to a prior poster's reference to the circumstances mattering. I can throw that jab with minimal power for a number of reasons. I can also deliver significant power in that jab if I want. It just depends.

Interestingly, a similar range applies to the cross (rear straight), though there are very few occasions where I'd choose to deliver it without body and/or leg power behind it (mostly, as weak feints to set something else up).

5. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    It sounds like your coach is using some terms in an unusual way. That can make discussion with others more complicated (though it doesn't necessarily say anything about their ability to coach you). Most folks use the term "jab" to refer to a forward-arm straight punch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

It may not say anything about their ability to coach but really we are all thinking it. :D

• Funny Funny x 1