What do you really learn in Ninjutsu?

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
My understanding of stealth so far is (as DuskB4Dawn said) hiding your intentions and blending in. Acting like a drunk around a bar is much more stealthy then hiding behind a barrel dressed in a black hood.

By the way, I love that brolly :D

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The idea of strategies being "hidden" within the techniques, well that could probably be said of most systems, to be honest. I'm not sure of many that announce what they're going to do before attacking someone.... well, maybe Kendo ("Do! Do! Men! Kote! Men! Do!")....

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The idea of strategies being "hidden" within the techniques, well that could probably be said of most systems, to be honest. I'm not sure of many that announce what they're going to do before attacking someone.... well, maybe Kendo ("Do! Do! Men! Kote! Men! Do!")....

Sorry, do you mean the Kendoka actually call out their moves before doing them? To put it into perspective, it would be like us calling out "Daijodan! Seigan! Kasumi!" etc before taking up the posture? Why is this?

Yoshin9

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is correct, it is part of the sport to show that you are hitting the area that you are targeting; it also shows spirit. You wouldn't do it in a real sword fight but Kendo is not kenjutsu!

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
With no disrespect mean to Kendoka, in terms of sporting analogies, sounds a bit like Babe Ruth calling out where he was going to hit the ball before doing it. It's a confidence thing for the person making call too if I'm not mistaken in that case?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is why they call out the spots they hit:

It must be accompanied by proper kiai. The kendoka must shout loudly, calling out the name of his target: "Men!" "Kote!" "Do!" or "Tsuki!" This means that the kendoka must hit what he aims at, not accidentally get something
http://oregonstate.edu/groups/kendo/dojo/shiai.html

For an attack to be successful, the shinaimust strike the specified target soundly, the contact by the shinaimust happen simultaneously with the attacker's foot connecting with floor, and the kendōkamust execute a spirited and convincing ki-ai (気合?)in co-ordination with the strike.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo

As you see it is not they are calling the spot before they hit they are calling the spot as they hit.

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score

in other martial arts. it doesn't involve the survival aspect. and the mentality of being able to take down the enemy fast and move on
i really dont see this in other martial arts
and also with weaponry how to conceal your weapon and have a suprise attact.
isn't ninjutsu suppose to be more covert and stealthy ?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Concealed weapons are common in arts from all around the world, karate for instance includes, in some systems, weapons such as Teiko, basically a form of over-grown knuckledusters. They are easily concealable. There are also a large range of "hidden" weapons in many samurai systems as well as in other arts. In terms of the survival aspects, there are a number of systems that include their own approach to that concept (different from Ninjutsu, but survivalist aspects none-the-less), such as Systema. Same with the idea of taking someone down fast and moving on, you'll find that most systems so this at their heart, and high level practitioners can demonstrate that in most arts.

Exactly how Ninjutsu approaches these concepts is what makes it it's own unique art, though.

Latest Discussions