What do you get out of boxing that you don't out of kickboxing or muay thai?

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
after 3ish years of karate I stopped and asked, "how do I land a simple straight punch". Boxing is essentially that question given form.

This is such a great line. I am a big proponent for consistently hitting a heavy bag so that a martial artist doesn't pull a punch too early. There can be a disconnect between air punching and powerful punching. There is the term Jiu Jitsu Strong to describe the strength that jiu jitsu builds after the first year...I think hitting the heavy bag makes a person Punching Strong.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is such a great line. I am a big proponent for consistently hitting a heavy bag so that a martial artist doesn't pull a punch too early. There can be a disconnect between air punching and powerful punching. There is the term Jiu Jitsu Strong to describe the strength that jiu jitsu builds after the first year...I think hitting the heavy bag makes a person Punching Strong.
I agree. How do you get a class of size that is larger than the number of bags you have? I am seriously asking for ideas.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. How do you get a class of size that is larger than the number of bags you have? I am seriously asking for ideas.
Well, if I understand your question clearly; at one of the old schools I used to train at we had room for 1 heavy bag in the gym. We'd line up and each student would do a series of combos or whatever we were working on on the bag and then move to another drill and be replaced by the next student in line. The next drill might be working focus mitts or some sort of kicking pad work and then when that was done back to the end of the line for the heavy bag drill. If we had a large class there might be 2 or three different drills before you got back to the heavy bag so that no one ever got much of a break. We'd rotate students in and out of holding the pads so everyone got in plenty of time on everything.

Usually we'd spend about a minute at each "station" and then the instructor would tell everyone to rotate. Most of the time we'd be expected to go 100% for each drill. If it was a smaller class we might focus more on form and receive more instruction and correction from the instructor.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bag work needs minimal instructions to be beneficial, so rotate students using timed rounds.

I’ll add the obvious caveat. It needs minimal instruction once they know how to hit a bag. But, man, I’ve seen some poor bag work over the years.

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
ive done kick boxing and studied a lot of arts ill just say one thing very superior about boxing in my opinion is there footwork if your taught the right foot work its can be the major difference just my two cents

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ive done kick boxing and studied a lot of arts ill just say one thing very superior about boxing in my opinion is there footwork if your taught the right foot work its can be the major difference just my two cents
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to your input.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Boxing teaches you what it feels like to get hit with less chance of general injury. I like kickboxing but I love boxing. I've never participated in any muay thai although a couple of my students did; one even went to Thailand but the other called it quits after a few fights - he said his legs just got too banged up.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boxing teaches you what it feels like to get hit with less chance of general injury. I like kickboxing but I love boxing. I've never participated in any muay thai although a couple of my students did; one even went to Thailand but the other called it quits after a few fights - he said his legs just got too banged up.

I think you misunderstood. I wanted to take boxing because they know how to NOT get hit with punches. :p

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
They do teach the sweet science some way better then others finding a good boxing coach is key In my opinion seriously I do think it can make all the difference just look at some famous fighters and there coaching history.

Latest Discussions